Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Oh come now, silly! If they start trying to explain any of the stuff going on outside of the drama and intrigue, it will be considered too complicated and will make the audience get headaches trying to think (something many have not done recently). :) There will be far too much other stuff going on to retcon characters into the story and to rewrite major aspects of the Star Wars universe to bother with trite explanations.

i don't seeing them need to retcon anything this is a sequel not a prequel. so, new characters and tech can easily be added in without "cheating". it is 30-40 yrs in their future anyhow,plenty of time for new ppl and things,and it is a really big galaxy,of which we have only seen a sliver of

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i don't seeing them need to retcon anything this is a sequel not a prequel. so, new characters and tech can easily be added in without "cheating". it is 30-40 yrs in their future anyhow,plenty of time for new ppl and things,and it is a really big galaxy,of which we have only seen a sliver of

They are reconning at least two new characters into the events of the OT, both to be associated with established characters from the OT. Remember, this is Abrams. He is not satisfied with just telling more of the story, he wants to change it fundamentally and mark it as "his".

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They are reconning at least two new characters into the events of the OT, both to be associated with established characters from the OT. Remember, this is Abrams. He is not satisfied with just telling more of the story, he wants to change it fundamentally and mark it as "his".

which characters are you talking about?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
which characters are you talking about?

I do not know their names but one of them might be the female character *allegedly* related to Boba Fett. There might be some "old friend" of Han Solo. I do not have details, just rumors. :) But we will see, right?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I do not know their names but one of them might be the female character *allegedly* related to Boba Fett. There might be some "old friend" of Han Solo. I do not have details, just rumors. :) But we will see, right?

but thats not really a retcon that is just expanding on the character--surely we know that the characters have a lot more going on in their lives then what we saw in the previous films

a retcon is more like when in the original SW, Jabba was just another dude, then in RofTJ and in the re release of new hope they retconned the character by making him into what we know Jabba as today

-------------------------
but yes I agree, I am sure Abrams will do much more to leave his mark then just change the colors of the x wing fighters :anim_59:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Didnt I predict this early this year?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/08/15/walt-disney-star-wars-land/31785719/

Disney chairman Bob Iger announced the creation of two Star Wars theme lands coming to the Disney parks in Orlando and Anaheim, Calif. Iger made the announcement before a rabid crowd at the annual Disney D23 Expo Saturday morning.

The concept received a rousing standing ovation from the 8,000 fans gathered.

The parks will allow Star Wars fans to step into the stories and interact with the characters from a galaxy far, far away. They will be transported to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port filled with Star Wars characters.

The plans to bring Star Wars to life in the two parks include creating Disney's largest single-themed land expansions ever at 14 acres each.

"We are creating a jaw-dropping new world," said Iger. "We're bringing Star Wars to life in a big way. ...These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new Star Wars planet.

"Nothing in land will be out of character," added Iger, including the famed cantina. "You've never seen a cantina like this before."

$6.00 Coca Cola anyone?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
With Disney owning Lucasfilm it was a pretty sure thing to occur. After all Disney has created exhibits in its theme parks related to films it has stakes in for decades.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
With Disney owning Lucasfilm it was a pretty sure thing to occur. After all Disney has created exhibits in its theme parks related to films it has stakes in for decades.

Of course. Disney picks wisely and carefully. Once they have a leash on a property, they can keep it healthy and profitable for decades to come. It is just a matter of picking the right "it". Of their properties, only the older stuff had a universe already packaged with it (Snow White, Mickey Mouse, Dumbo, etc). Now they have Star Wars and the Marvel worlds. I could easily see California Adventure sporting a new Gotham City section, or even an Asgard section.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
By the time the theme parks are built it will probably be a $13.00 Coca Cola. But the good news is that it will be served in a special edition Star Wars cup made out of a futuristic compound called: polyethylene terephthalate (plastic). :encouragement:

In my lifetime, I have been to Disneyland about 50 times. When we were kids, Dad always took the three of us there during Law Enforcement Day (park was closed to public). In around 1970, prices started going up. At that time, you had a ticket book with A,B,C,D,and E tickets. The cost to get in was around $5.00, and you needed to spend more for extra E tickets (E tickets were for premium rides) Then they went to the flat admission fee. Today, it costs $100.00 just to get in. Once in, you will pay at a minimum DOUBLE what you pay for the same product outside the gates. The rides are faster, but the park is way more crowded and the money grubbing vendors are bold with greediness.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
In my lifetime, I have been to Disneyland about 50 times. When we were kids, Dad always took the three of us there during Law Enforcement Day (park was closed to public). In around 1970, prices started going up. At that time, you had a ticket book with A,B,C,D,and E tickets. The cost to get in was around $5.00, and you needed to spend more for extra E tickets (E tickets were for premium rides) Then they went to the flat admission fee. Today, it costs $100.00 just to get in. Once in, you will pay at a minimum DOUBLE what you pay for the same product outside the gates. The rides are faster, but the park is way more crowded and the money grubbing vendors are bold with greediness.

Years ago I took the ex to Universal Studios Theme park and while he loved it I hated it, go figure. I'm just not a theme park kind of guy apparently. It was then that I realized I was getting too old for crowds and corporate nonsense. I also realized I was getting too old for guys who were into crowds and corporate nonsense, which explains why he's now an ex. ;)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Years ago I took the ex to Universal Studios Theme park and while he loved it I hated it, go figure. I'm just not a theme park kind of guy apparently. It was then that I realized I was getting too old for crowds and corporate nonsense. I also realized I was getting too old for guys who were into crowds and corporate nonsense, which explains why he's now an ex. ;)

That so sounds like me. :) I am definitely too old (and grumpy) for Disneyland these days. My nephew loves it, but his mother will have to take him from now on. Im no longer into crowds, parties, loud bars, music concerts, or anywhere that huge crowds form.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That so sounds like me. :) I am definitely too old (and grumpy) for Disneyland these days. My nephew loves it, but his mother will have to take him from now on. Im no longer into crowds, parties, loud bars, music concerts, or anywhere that huge crowds form.

I suppose if I had kids it would be a different story, but I don't. And I found that I gravitate away from adults who get sucked into that high-pressure "Give us your wallet!" corporate crap. I much rather prefer to vacation in places like Moab, Utah where there is a modern infrastructure but it is coupled with some really great outdoor stuff that isn't owned by a giant corporation.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I suppose if I had kids it would be a different story, but I don't. And I found that I gravitate away from adults who get sucked into that high-pressure "Give us your wallet!" corporate crap. I much rather prefer to vacation in places like Moab, Utah where there is a modern infrastructure but it is coupled with some really great outdoor stuff that isn't owned by a giant corporation.

I hear you bro. I am so over tourist-y places, places which have "gift shops" and places where once you are in there, all food and drinks and everything else is within their world where they can charge double and triple for it. This includes airport stores. They know they have you, so they stick it to you.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I hear you bro. I am so over tourist-y places, places which have "gift shops" and places where once you are in there, all food and drinks and everything else is within their world where they can charge double and triple for it. This includes airport stores. They know they have you, so they stick it to you.

My friend's parents go down to Disneyland every Easter break. I have to laugh because they always attempt to bring booze down with them in order to off-set the cost of buying drinks at the park but it is a futile effort. (Same thing with the Disney cruises they have been on.) One time my friend's mom called him and told him to bring a bunch of bottles in his suitcase when he came down to join them because the ones she packed broke all over the inside of her luggage. :icon_lol:

Why they continue to give Disney their money is beyond me. It hardly seems worthwhile in terms of a relaxing vacation. But apparently they find value in going there year after year after year. :rolleye0014: (My friend once gushed about how cool it was that the Disney maids folded the towels into cute animal shapes and arranged them on the beds in their rooms. He even showed me pictures of it. I considered slapping him in that moment but opted to just give him a disapproving look and a haughty eye roll.)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My friend's parents go down to Disneyland every Easter break. I have to laugh because they always attempt to bring booze down with them in order to off-set the cost of buying drinks at the park but it is a futile effort. (Same thing with the Disney cruises they have been on.) One time my friend's mom called him and told him to bring a bunch of bottles in his suitcase when he came down to join them because the ones she packed broke all over the inside of her luggage. :icon_lol:

Why they continue to give Disney their money is beyond me. It hardly seems worthwhile in terms of a relaxing vacation. But apparently they find value in going there year after year after year. :rolleye0014: (My friend once gushed about how cool it was that the Disney maids folded the towels into cute animal shapes and arranged them on the beds in their rooms. He even showed me pictures of it. I considered slapping him in that moment but opted to just give him a disapproving look and a haughty eye roll.)

For many Boomer families, the whole Disney thing is part of their "social programming". A remnant from their childhood which they think will be appreciated as a "tradition" by their kids. And I get that whole folding the towels thing too. :) For me, it is like the "styled" food you get at restaurants. As soon as you start eating, it makes no difference. I am not going to appreciate any of that as a value added thing worth the money.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds reasonable. They obviously are dealing with some type of successor group to the Empire. Plus it avoids claiming there are more Sith.