Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You do understand the difference between "theoretical" and "actual", right?

Lasers were theoretical. We now have them as keychains and even weapons grade. Quantum computing was theoretical yet here we are today with our first quantum computer:

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...e-first-real-quantum-computer-by-new-research

Theoretical does not mean impossible. ST has inspired a lot of the technology we use today. Not everything invented in sci-fi becomes real but the genre has definitely inspired advances in tech and science.

Sci-fi tech based on actual theory does not always implement the theoretical tech or process in a plausible manner but it doesn't negate the possibility of the actual application. Warp drive, in as far as the technology is technically implemented in ST, may be ridiculous or not possible but the science behind warp drive is quite plausible. Sure, we may not use dilithium crystals to mitigate the flow of matter/anit-matter to power such a thing but that doesn't mean warp drive itself is an imaginary fantasy.

In SW, something as simple as the light saber is an actual impossibility:

http://www.physics.org/article-questions.asp?id=59

Something "theoretical" is quite far removed from "magic". :)

:)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You can keep moving those goal posts to make it look like this is ST vs SW but it isn't. It was, and remains, a reply to your post stating that "warp drive" was magic just like SW in an attempt to equate the two. :icon_lol:

:)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
As blue-reece said and as the article says, at present we don't have the capabilities, but if there is one species that can do it, it's our. Life in itself is so improbable if you look outside the nightsky, but here we are chatting to each other. It took billions of years for life to form and we are but a speck of dust in that large time frame of 14 billion years. Imagine if our species got 14 billion years to live? We could pretty much conquer the entire universe if had that much time.

Just to give you some perspective of where we are when it comes to space travel, New Horizons traveled at 15.73 kilometers per second. That's 55440 Km/h. It's still a far cry from light speed, but we are getting closer and closer :)

Ok, but little or nothing to do with ST :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Ok, but little or nothing to do with ST :)
It does have everything to do with trek. My point was that just because we don't have warp travel right now doesn't mean that it's "impossible". The science in trek may sound a bit ridiculous, but it's not as silly as say "the force".

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It does have everything to do with trek. My point was that just because we don't have warp travel right now doesn't mean that it's "impossible". The science in trek may sound a bit ridiculous, but it's not as silly as say "the force".
Vulcan Mysticism
Betazoid telepathy/ empathy.

Keep going, cause I'll shoot them all down.

Just Saying :D

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I can't explain the mysticism,
Uh huh, they are "science fiction anomalies" :lol:
Perhaps science can explain the force as well?
Wouldn't that just mess with your mind :lol:
Those episodes don't count because they were really drama/soap opera and this is something we know and didn't have anything to do with Star Trek. They were all fillers.

ROFLMFAO!!!!
Yeah, you run with that dude, run far and wide.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

ROFLMFAO!!!!

Sorry but the force is not science it's pure fantasy. The entire star wars mythos is built on that.

ROFLMFAO!!!!
You can go back to my posts and read that I had already acknowledged that those episodes were crap and were considered a soap opera, but the entire star trek universe is built on theoretical science. Star wars is NOT. Star wars is basically swords, demons, with a different paint job.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Sorry but the force is not science it's pure fantasy. The entire star wars mythos is built on that.
Vulcan Mysticism is just as much fantasy, and is used as a crutch for one of the best TOS era movies (subjective opinion, granted)
So please, just don't.

You can go back to my posts and read that I had already acknowledged that those episodes were crap and were considered a soap opera, but the entire star trek universe is built on theoretical science. Star wars is NOT. Star wars is basically swords, demons, with a different paint job.

Guess what!!!
The episodes you don't personally like -Don't get written out of canon-.
Sorry if your ego don't like them facts.
Come on Heisen, I can admit SW is no more than a space fantasy, why can you not admit ST is just as much of a fantasy -some times-?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Vulcan Mysticism is just as much fantasy, and is used as a crutch for one of the best TOS era movies (subjective opinion, granted)
So please, just don't.

Guess what!!!
The episodes you don't personally like -Don't get written out of canon-.
Sorry if your ego don't like them facts.
Come on Heisen, I can admit SW is no more than a space fantasy, why can you not admit ST is just as much of a fantasy -some times-?
Because those stories don't have anything to do with the story arc of star trek?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Because those stories don't have anything to do with the story arc of star trek?
What twaddle.
So that means they don't exist?
Q is the beginning and end of TNG, and he is a fantasy.
But sure, it's got nothing to do with the story arc of trek............

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Vulcan Mysticism
Betazoid telepathy/ empathy.

Keep going, cause I'll shoot them all down.

Just Saying :D

Vulcan mysticism is no different than Taoism or Zen or many other religions on earth today, PLUS it was alien culture. Telepathy is not magical, and neither is empathy. The Force is magic and nothing more. You have not shot anything down yet. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Warp drive is magic.

No it is not. It is simply not yet within the ability of science to accomplish it. The Force will ALWAYS be magic. There is no way to explain it even retroactively. Warp Drive has a technological root just like nuclear fission did and how fusion power does (even though there are not yet fusion reactors). The term "magic" and the term "technology" do not connect anywhere along their meanings.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You have to understand why GF is arguing and then you realize that you really do not have to continue making your point because you already have. Star Wars is 100% fantasy fairy tale only told in a space backdrop. If you took the story of Romeo and Juliet and did it as a stage show with all starry sets and futuristic backdrops, you would have a Star Wars movie. Take Lord of the Rings and put it in space with spaceships and make the kingdoms of the Orcs and Elves and Hobbits separate planets, then made Souron an alien with powerful weapons and a big ship, you would have a Space Opera epic.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What twaddle.
So that means they don't exist?
Q is the beginning and end of TNG, and he is a fantasy.
But sure, it's got nothing to do with the story arc of trek............

Pure bullshit (the bolded).

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

And much of it is based on theoretical science.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member