Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I guess I am not as cynical precisely because Lucasfilm has so much riding on this. They need this not only to be a hit but to be well regarded, because that good regard is what will get people in theatres for the next film. Not to mention they want the film to do well in instant video and merchandise sales as well. So they know they HAVE to get this one right.

And that knowledge is why Disney has Lucasfilm keeping such a close eye on things. Why they brought in their own team around Abrams instead of him bringing in his usual buddies Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof. Why they pulled in Lawrence Kasdan and went after John Williams for the music and had it done with real instruments instead of synthetically. Why there is a HEAVY emphasis on practical effects and staying away from CGI. And so on.

When I see an example of Disney faithfully trying this, I will be less cynical. But I just saw Avengers Age of Ultron not too long ago, and I am dismayed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Was Ultron a bit of a misfire? Yup. But then again the track record on the Marvel films has been excellent and Whedon did well with the first Avengers. As such they may have gotten a bit overconfident. I doubt they repeat that mistake. And remember that this same Marvel division of Disney gave us Guardians of the Galaxy which was simply superb. In the Ultron thread we zeroed in on Ultron as a villain plus too many characters being the real issues.

Also, no one is trying to launch a franchise with Ultron. They very much are with Star Wars VII. It may have been a big franchise in the past but in movie terms the last three films disillusioned a lot of the fans and also the last movie was 10 years ago. Hence the stakes are high here - a misfire and those sequels and related films suddenly have much diminished prospects. They know they have to get it right.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers 1

Both Captain America films

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers 1

Both Captain America films

Avengers 1 was the first one. They messed up the second one. Captain America they have changed from the comics. Guardians is also a first, we will see the second one not too long from now. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Whether a film was the first or second one or whether they changed a character from their comic origins is wide of the point. You asked for recent well regard "Disney" films. All of those films are that.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
OM, Joe is gonna kick your ass sideways here.

Let's face it, how many EU books have you read?
Defending a point that bemoans the loss of the EU with minimal knowledge of the EU is sorta pointless don't you think?

Are you being a contrary?? :D :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
OM, Joe is gonna kick your ass sideways here.

Let's face it, how many EU books have you read?
Defending a point that bemoans the loss of the EU with minimal knowledge of the EU is sorta pointless don't you think?

Are you being a contrary?? :D :lol:

How? "Regard" is a subjective thing, dude. :) I do NOT regard Disney as any sort of respectable defender of Art. Disney tossed the EU with a tweet. I cannot hold them in high regard after doing that. Paramount allowed an entire fabric of several decades to form around Star Trek without tossing any of the canon or even the extended storylines played out in fan fiction. Even the ridiculous NuTrek is still attached to the original canon and nothing has been tossed.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now you aren't even making sense OM. The EU was discarded by Lucasfilm and it was not done with a tweet - they made a formal announcement and explained their reasoning, which I might note in a prior thread you agreed with. Here is their announcement:

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

And here is you agreeing with it:

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/star-wars-7-character-details.26771/page-18#post-868644

What they did was implement the same system for managing the fan fiction et al that Paramount uses for Star Trek. Before they had a really goofy system of levels of canonicity and now things are either canon or non-canon.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now you aren't even making sense OM. The EU was discarded by Lucasfilm and it was not done with a tweet - they made a formal announcement and explained their reasoning, which I might note in a prior thread you agreed with. Here is their announcement:

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page

And here is you agreeing with it:

http://gatefans.net/gforums/threads/star-wars-7-character-details.26771/page-18#post-868644

What they did was implement the same system for managing the fan fiction et al that Paramount uses for Star Trek. Before they had a really goofy system of levels of canonicity and now things are either canon or non-canon.

I was being facetious. :) The point was that they tossed it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I was being facetious. :) The point was that they tossed it.

Yep. And it was a needed move. Otherwise there would be no way to write even a remotely cogent script because the post Jedi EU is like a spiderweb which even contradicts itself in places (which is a sure sign it was not being policed well).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
But that's the thing, even if it's a turd of a movie it is guaranteed to make hundreds of millions (a billion?) in revenue. So Abrams isn't even taking a risk with this one because it's guaranteed to be a blockbuster.

Kid playing with disney's money

that is, Abrams plays and disney takes the risk

i am still quite sure they are breathing quite heavily down his neck

i wonder how many disney corporate handlers (like the old soviet political officers questioning the battlefield decisions of the actual army officers) are on the set each day?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I expect Lucasfilm is keeping a close eye and indeed it was them who brought in experts well versed in Star Wars - specifically the Original Trilogy. Which also tells you they are looking to the Original Trilogy for tone, feel and such.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I expect Lucasfilm is keeping a close eye and indeed it was them who brought in experts well versed in Star Wars - specifically the Original Trilogy. Which also tells you they are looking to the Original Trilogy for tone, feel and such.

Don't underestimate the madness of King George. After all, he had no problem changing and distorting the OT simply to suit his own bizarre whims. Hopefully those under his (former) tutelage won't be as rash as he was with changing things.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
King George has no say in anything - remember he sold Lucasfilm and all the rights to Star Wars to Disney. And the people Lucasfilm brought in specifically had nothing to do with the prequels.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
King George has no say in anything - remember he sold Lucasfilm and all the rights to Star Wars to Disney. And the people Lucasfilm brought in specifically had nothing to do with the prequels.

Oh sorry, I thought he still had a hand in running Lucasfilm. I know it sounds cynical of my but I really don't want Lucas having a hand (even a small one) in the new films regardless of him being the originator of the franchise. I'm still reeling from the shock of sitting through those horrible prequels and don't trust him one single iota. Seriously, he has lost all trust in terms of delivering a quality film.

Perhaps this is just a lot of cyber hand wringing on my part but I was so enamored with the original Star Wars film when I was a kid that I really just want to recapture some of that magic again.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/jj-abrams-promises-no-midi-chlorians-in-star-125851723532.html

J.J. Abrams Swears There Are No Midi-chlorians in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

In a series of “yes or no” questions for Abrams, Horowitz asked if anyone in The Force Awakens ever mentions midi-chlorians — to which the director gave a definitive “no” response.

Oh come now, silly! If they start trying to explain any of the stuff going on outside of the drama and intrigue, it will be considered too complicated and will make the audience get headaches trying to think (something many have not done recently). :) There will be far too much other stuff going on to retcon characters into the story and to rewrite major aspects of the Star Wars universe to bother with trite explanations.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan