Star Wars Episode IX director fired!

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
tell me then..who was Luke in personality or anything? We got very little of who he truly was as a person in the OT

other then the 'aw shucks' farmboy that is....

I take it the only movie you watched from the OT was Star Wars and you walked out of the theater about a minute after the last scene on Tatooine.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I take it the only movie you watched from the OT was Star Wars and you walked out of the theater about a minute after the last scene on Tatooine.

no, actually i watched it about 12 times in theatre when it came out

i have scene every movie

guess again, troll :)

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
no, actually i watched it about 12 times in theatre when it came out

i have scene every movie

guess again, troll :)

Then you should recall Luke played a pivotal role and became a very complex character that evolved over the three movies. Luke was only an (and I quote) "aw shucks farmboy" at the beginning on Tatooine.

Why troll? Your feelings are hurt because nobody agreed that he was an "aw shucks farmboy"? Was it because I pointed out that the only way one would come to that conclusion is if they had only watched up till the last scene on Tatooine?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Then you should recall Luke played a pivotal role and became a very complex character that evolved over the three movies. Luke was only an (and I quote) "aw shucks farmboy" at the beginning on Tatooine.

Why troll? Your feelings are hurt because nobody agreed that he was an "aw shucks farmboy"? Was it because I pointed out that the only way one would come to that conclusion is if they had only watched up till the last scene on Tatooine?

i am not the only one who calls him 'farmboy'
http://www.starwars.com/databank/luke-skywalker

the "aw shucks" comes from his whining like "but i was going to pick up some power converters at toshi station"

and his dirt kicking litany of 'i am never going to get off this planet'

it was much more apparent in the ep4 novelization

--------------------------------
"Your feelings are hurt because nobody agreed.."

NOPE!! I post what I feel regardless of "consensus". I do not require validation. I will stay with my opinions and perspectives regardless the pressure. just ask anyone here, Troll

Yes, Luke definitely grew in the OT. In fact, A New Hope uses Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" as a template for Luke's character growth. Basically he describes how the hero archetype goes from an "aw shucks farmboy" to a seasoned figure through the steps that Luke went through (setting off on adventure, finding a mentor, training, having his newly developed skills challenged, etc.). In fact, Return of the Jedi states right in the title that Luke has changed; he having grown into a full blown Jedi who is now ready to take on the challengers he wasn't mature enough to defeat earlier.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, Luke definitely grew in the OT. In fact, A New Hope uses Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" as a template for Luke's character growth. Basically he describes how the hero archetype goes from an "aw shucks farmboy" to a seasoned figure through the steps that Luke went through (setting off on adventure, finding a mentor, training, having his newly developed skills challenged, etc.). In fact, Return of the Jedi states right in the title that Luke has changed; he having grown into a full blown Jedi who is now ready to take on the challengers he wasn't mature enough to defeat earlier.

I did a thread on this somewhere in here....

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/thr...luke-skywalker-in-the-original-trilogy.27425/

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
i am not the only one who calls him 'farmboy'
http://www.starwars.com/databank/luke-skywalker

the "aw shucks" comes from his whining like "but i was going to pick up some power converters at toshi station"

and his dirt kicking litany of 'i am never going to get off this planet'

it was much more apparent in the ep4 novelization

All while on Tatooine. You're like a gift that keeps on giving points to the other side of the debate.

--------------------------------
"Your feelings are hurt because nobody agreed.."

NOPE!! I post what I feel regardless of "consensus". I do not require validation. I will stay with my opinions and perspectives regardless the pressure. just ask anyone here, Troll

Oh, so many doors opened here.

First, you are the one who posted a contrary opinion to your own proof above that the farmboy thing was all about Luke on Tatooine.

Second, someone who does not "require validation" may argue facts but doesn't argue opinion, they post opinion and walk away. So far, you've sat around arguing your way right into a paper bag with Luke being an "aw shucks" farmboy, that Becka was inspired by Starbuck, which you eventually argued right back to they're nothing alike in the least, and posting incoherent gibberish in the climate thread.

Lastly, you pull words that are clearly way above your pay grade and use them incorrectly. Look up what an internet troll is.

Like I said, I call it as I see it. If I'm the only one pointing things like this out to you then everyone else is being nice. Sometimes, it's ok to acknowledge your shortcomings and accept your spot on the totem pole. That doesn't demean or otherwise reduce you as a person it just means you won't be performing surgery or become a hedge fund manager, which is fine. I won't be a hedge fund manager, either, because I'm terrible with money and I'm fine with that and I'm also a total womanizer so I won't ever be getting married, which I'm also fine with.

Very interesting read and very thoughtfully written.

Yeah it was really interesting to see how Lucas used Campbell's works on mythology as a template for Luke. His growth mirrors a lot of the steps laid out here:

heros_journey4_8462.png

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
how Lucas used Campbell's works on mythology as a template for Luke

and in campbell's works, the hero does not always remain so

and, so far, the events in luke's life have mirrored those in the diagram

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

he describes how the hero archetype goes from an "aw shucks farmboy" to a seasoned figure through the steps that Luke

oh look, someone else called him that too

------------------------------------------------------------------------
and, if you would deign to pick up a book or do a search of sw's canon, you would see that in the canon of star wars, nearly everyone who met him after his departure from tattoine had the same opinion of him

especially after his "just like shooting womp rats in beggar's canyon" comment while in the pre-attack briefing on yavin

nearly every pilot was incensed over this comment coming from an untrained and never been in a battle newcomer.

>>>btw--people bitch about Rey "just picking up a LS and being a pro" without any training. Tell me when Luke got his training on flying a T65B, or any space craft? Or to be an anti fighter ship gunner?

Oh, yeah, he didn't--must be those damned midichlorians at work... >>>>

and, other then destroy the death star--which anyone could have done (the second, with millions of exhaust ports, was destroyed entirely by conventional means in a combined arms, space and ground effort) -or if you prefer, say only he could have done it because of the force- well that would be a belief in and a statement counter to saying that one needs to be trained to use the force. Luke was not trained in the force at the battle of yavin. all he had by way of 'training' was a little chat with Kenobi

as i said, anyone sufficiently trained as a pilot, could have destroyed the death star. if the alliance did not believe this then they would not have planned an attack on it. they would have ran. it is not like they said, "oh wait up, there is this 19yr old water collecting farmer that just got here on a cargo ship with a pirate and his walking hair ball sidekick--NOW we can take on the death star!!!"

what they have him doing is akin to the us army having put a brand new soldier, with no pilot training and with no flight time in the cockpit of the Enola Gay

ROGUE ONE and REBELS shows us that there were many far greater skilled pilots in the alliance then Luke

other then destroying the first DS, just what things heroic did Skywalker accomplish? other then talking to his daddy about not being a bad guy any longer?

Luke has always been over blown as the "only hero" in the rebel alliance, when in fact there are many. The "anti Luke" -that is anti to what fans have expected from him- in sw8, is in part, an attempt to dispel the fan belief that only Luke can fix the galaxy. His appearance on Crait was just as much a delaying tactic to allow alliance escape and to give a slight morale boost as it was a ploy to anger his nephew.

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member

Ok, I get it now. You're slow and I'm sorry if you feel picked on. I should have been more sensitive to your condition.

Yes, as I said, the "aw shucks" farmboy thing was up until he left Tatooine and, when that was pointed out to you, you nearly had a seizure. If you go read your own posts, you claimed Luke was a stagnant character who didn't evolve, which is about as close to what PussyGalore posted as you are to winning an elementary school science fare. It's ok to say, "hey, I messed up but I see where I was wrong now..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
and, if you would deign to pick up a book or do a search of sw's canon, you would see that in the canon of star wars, nearly everyone who met him after his departure from tattoine had the same opinion of him

especially after his "just like shooting womp rats in beggar's canyon" comment while in the pre-attack briefing on yavin

nearly every pilot was incensed over this comment coming from an untrained and never been in a battle newcomer.

>>>btw--people bitch about Rey "just picking up a LS and being a pro" without any training. Tell me when Luke got his training on flying a T65B, or any space craft? Or to be an anti fighter ship gunner?

Oh, yeah, he didn't--must be those damned midichlorians at work... >>>>

and, other then destroy the death star--which anyone could have done (the second, with millions of exhaust ports, was destroyed entirely by conventional means in a combined arms, space and ground effort) -or if you prefer, say only he could have done it because of the force- well that would be a belief in and a statement counter to saying that one needs to be trained to use the force. Luke was not trained in the force at the battle of yavin. all he had by way of 'training' was a little chat with Kenobi

as i said, anyone sufficiently trained as a pilot, could have destroyed the death star. if the alliance did not believe this then they would not have planned an attack on it. they would have ran. it is not like they said, "oh wait up, there is this 19yr old water collecting farmer that just got here on a cargo ship with a pirate and his walking hair ball sidekick--NOW we can take on the death star!!!"

what they have him doing is akin to the us army having put a brand new soldier, with no pilot training and with no flight time in the cockpit of the Enola Gay

ROGUE ONE and REBELS shows us that there were many far greater skilled pilots in the alliance then Luke

other then destroying the first DS, just what things heroic did Skywalker accomplish? other then talking to his daddy about not being a bad guy any longer?

Luke has always been over blown as the "only hero" in the rebel alliance, when in fact there are many. The "anti Luke" -that is anti to what fans have expected from him- in sw8, is in part, an attempt to dispel the fan belief that only Luke can fix the galaxy. His appearance on Crait was just as much a delaying tactic to allow alliance escape and to give a slight morale boost as it was a ploy to anger his nephew.

I'm sorry I'm not understanding this. Can you clarify?

I read several of the books for SW including the original novelization (it's my favorite) and I'm not getting that Luke was considered a country bumpkin for very long by his fellow rebels. And his experience of chasing down wombats in the canyons on Tattooine was one of the aspects that made him perfect for the assault on the Death Star. So was his use of the Force. That was the difference between him and the other rebel pilots.

As for after blowing up the DS, he accomplished a lot, such as defeating the evil Emperor. That's kind of a big thing in terms of the overall story, otherwise, why even have a story to begin with? A country bumpkin couldn't have defeated the Emperor hence the showing of Luke's growth into a mature Jedi over the next two films, Empire and Return.

Again, I'm not understanding your insistence that Luke didn't grow so could use some clarification here.

Last edited:

Twalet Brash

GateFans Member
I'm sorry I'm not understanding this. Can you clarify?

I read several of the books for SW including the original novelization (it's my favorite) and I'm not getting that Luke was considered a country bumpkin for very long by his fellow rebels. And his experience of chasing down wombats in the canyons on Tattooine were one of the aspects that made him perfect for the assault on the Death Star. So was his use of the Force. That was the difference between him and the other rebel pilots.

As for after blowing up the DS, he accomplished a lot, such as defeating the evil Emperor. That's kind of a big thing in terms of the overall story, otherwise, why even have a story to begin with? A country bumpkin couldn't have defeated the Emperor hence the showing of Luke's growth into a mature Jedi over the next two films, Empire and Return.

Again, I'm not understanding your insistence that Luke didn't grow so could use some clarification here.

THANK YOU! So it isn't just me. I seem to be the only one getting heat for pointing it out. The most frustrating thing is you won't get a coherent answer, just a frustrating word salad that leaves you scratching your head.