Star Wars Anthology films: Rogue One

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't like it when I have to have read a book

but isn't it you and om who reference the EXPANSE books? (maybe it WAS someone else)

NOTHING wrong with that at all! I love the idea of multi media story telling

just so long as I don't have to play a video game to get a story :)

and the way it is delivered-one can choose to only watch the films or watch everything (including rebels and clone wars) AND read the canon books IF THEY CHOOSE but wither way, the main plot is delivered through the movie-reading only gives more depth

and i bring up the books-when they are a basis for any tv show or movie (any historical film or like VIKINGS, or the LOTR's movies and books are perfect example) becasue so often people will be critical of a movie/show when often the answers they seek would be revealed of they had read the book(s)

----------------
i totally get your view though, but yeah, i do like it that R1 was 'fan service'. in fact, I am surprised that DISNEY put it out as is without more interference and changes to it then they already made.

i do think as well, that only certain movies can get away with having flat characters and this type of film. of course SW's is one and as OM said- Star Trek can do it. there are a few others--the alien and predator films come to mind where none of these stories need to have any real character fleshing.

your opinion is totally cool with me!! it is ppl like you with these constructive criticisms that hopefully are listened to and make a 'sharp edge' that future films are held to

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I referenced the Expanse books, but they are not necessary to watch the show or to flesh out characters or anything. OM and I were just comparing and contrasting them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I referenced the Expanse books, but they are not necessary to watch the show or to flesh out characters or anything. OM and I were just comparing and contrasting them.

I only was referring to the Expanse because the feel of it and the pacing and "mood" of it came to mind as I was watching Rogue One. That is neither a bad thing or a criticism. Merely an observation. :) In that sense, it departed from the Star Wars I remember, which was far simpler and more easily digestible. This one seemed more mature somehow.

I just watched this again, believe it or not. :) The characters are still flat the second time around, I am afraid. But I have new appreciation for the way it was put together visually and I think the story was clearer. It's simply beautiful.

I realized that this film had to end unresolved because it comes before A new Hope which itself started with a retreat and firefight. The Empire was going to be winning at the end of this no matter what. It was this story which led up to these characters was done so well.

I think Disney is going to get a couple of decades out of Star Wars or even more. It has more potential than Mickey ever did, and Mickey is 88 years old. The problem with Mickey is that he is an individual, and he has no universe to perpetuate him. His character is MORTAL, even though it isn't really. Star Wars on the other hand is a complete universe. It never will age or die.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Oh I agreed that the film LOOKS great and is technically well done. The story was pretty clear also. I just wish a bit more thought had been put into the characters, as it would have made their sacrifices more impactful.

As to the entire Disney cycle, I really hope they stick to their planned three sequel films and three anthology films. In other words don't overdo it. The next two anthology films (Han Solo and Obi Wan Kenobi) are both similar in general concept to Rogue One in that they show how these OT characters got to where they were when we first met them.

Then we go to Episode VIII. It is in uncharted territory completely as it is not a prequel type of film at all. It will be interesting to see what Rian Johnson does (he is the director and screenwriter). Even granting the issue raised by a few that the story in Episode VII was almost a direct copy of OT Star Wars it did leave Johnson three well realized characters popular with both the general viewing public and the Star Wars fan community (Rey, Finn and Kylo) to work with. I hope he charts a story into completely new waters for them.

Of course, Johnson does have a real issue in that everyone will compare his work to The Empire Strikes Back - which is on a lot of "Best movies ever made" lists. Tough act to follow.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
but they are not necessary to watch the show or to flesh out characters or anything

as is the case with SW's. one does NOT have to read the books to "get it", it all depends on what level one wants to get to.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
end unresolved because it comes before A new Hope which itself started with a retreat and firefight

not totally unresolved-we know that the sacrifice of the Erso's and the rebels DO directly lead to an important victory -DS 1 being destroyed and then to the eventual downfall of Vader and Palpatine.

this is the story of the beginning of the end of the 'secular/political' side of things for the empire. the 'religious (as they are with Sith/Jedi/ Church of the force,etc) ' of course continue---the First Order is just an expansion of the secular side of The Empire

-------------------
Remember-and I don't think a lot of ppl are paying attn to this-that the beginning of EP4 is/can be mere minutes in timeline, after the end of R1. All that is missing is the hyperspace trip to Tattoine

<<<tying in to the timeline near this point, if you are watching REBELS this season, seems we may get an appearance from Kenobi via Maul's new found info that he is alive and his location>>>

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The next two anthology films (Han Solo and Obi Wan Kenobi)

the anthology films are still to be on Han Solo and Boba Fett

the Kenobi story has not been planned out/detailed yet. If it happens, it may be another film or that live action tv series that Lucasfilm has been wanting for so long

there are nearly 20yrs worth of time for a story to be told (between eps 3 and 4) to show what Kenobi had been up to (same for Fett).There is always the 'flashback'sequence where we could get meta story telling of his pre-Jedi days as well.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Just a little bit on the old Autistic spectrum:

for supposedly being a SW's fan, she obviously doesn't know much about SW's

many of her answers-on Guerra for instance, would be answered if she watched clone wars and is now watching rebels

and once again, another one of those ppl who feel they need more answers for backstory who just fail to realise that if they really ant those answers- LUCASARTS has commissioned official canon books to fill that in-if one really wants to know. her answers could be answered if she read ROGUE ONE CATALYST

that is, if she CAN read! :)

she reminds me alot of those women and girls who begin to "like" football just becasue their boyfriends/husbands do. they go through the motions and act like they know everything there is to know until someone asks them a question about it-like "what did you think of that play and the ref;s call?" Often, doe eyed deer stares are a response

or maybe she is just upset because the movie wasn't made JUST FOR HER :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Finally saw this -- yeah life's been busy! LOVED IT! then did a rewatch following Rogue One with a new hope....seamless! :anim_19::anim_19::anim_19::anim_19::anim_19::anim_19:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, how, do you think, this scene was 'divisive'?

All I get from reading the article is that maybe that would apply to the TPTB's? Especially giventhe re-shoots and reshuffles of personnel, scenes and dialogue?

IDK, what do you think?

Interesting to see that one (not only) of the most intense scenes in the film was directed by Filoni, and this was back in REBELS days

1678238964268.png