Star Wars Anthology films: Rogue One

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
trailer 2-nothing exiting really,except for those Vader-philes :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
ok this I like the of. should be more interesting than the latest incarnation. I like a good adventure and I understand this is to be how the rebels steal the plans to the death star.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
how the rebels steal the plans to the death star.

correct

possible that we may also get an explanation for just how the DS was so powerful

the planet you see the star destroyer hovering on-is one of the planets where the LS crystals are found. it is possible that the DS main weapon is powered by these crystals

so since we do not have jedi in this film, we do have Force power-possibly

also, on the Force-the blind fighter on the team is an adherent of another religious group that "worships" the force, but they are not Jedi or Sith but another group altogether

should be a good action movie with the SW's back story told that many of us have been wanting to see for a long time

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I get and understand all the criticisms about Disney milking the franchise,etc,etc

but these stories did exist before Disney took over---its their money that gets them put to film

i know that the big mouse craves money--of course!

but man, this trailer and the others really make this movie look like it will be very very entertaining as well as tell a critical backstory to the overall "saga"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I get and understand all the criticisms about Disney milking the franchise,etc,etc

but these stories did exist before Disney took over---its their money that gets them put to film

i know that the big mouse craves money--of course!

but man, this trailer and the others really make this movie look like it will be very very entertaining as well as tell a critical backstory to the overall "saga"

THIS one looks interesting to me. :) I like the fact that the original Darth Vader is in it, and that they did get James Earl Jones to do the voice. Any other voice would have been a dealbreaker for me.
This movie looks like it is going to be the real blockbuster Star Wars movie. I am really anxious to see this! I think I will actually go to the theater for this one! :smiley_joy: :icon_clap::icon_clap::icon_clap::icon_clap::icon_clap:. The fact that it is all new, new characters and all, makes it awesome. They appear to have taken time to replicate the way the SW A New Hope locales looked, and also the tone appears to be much more dark and adult. I am liking this a whole lot.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
much more dark and adult

while making for anyone to see and enjoy, i am thinking it was really meant with the intent of satisfying the older SW's fans--like us

in one of the production trailers, one of the tptb's says that this is a film they are making that every boy who had sw's action figs growing up, imagined; pitched battles and all that
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
there is a rumor--i don't take much stock in it, though i hope it is true-that one of the major characters from rebels will make a surprise/un-advertised appearance in this film

now that would be very cool; a 'unification' of REBELS with the live action.

REBELS where it is now in the sw's timeline, is about 2-3 yrs behind the timeline in ROGUE ONE--additionally, REBELS is only scheduled for one more season (#4) already in production, so it is already known who will survive the show and their status

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
supposedly "final" trailer before the 16th

each trailer gives more evidence this will be a very combat heavy, pew-pew filled film
just LIKE those imaginary battle those of us with SW toys would create on our living floors when we were kids :)

i think also, it is very telling that DISNEY does NOT advert this movie during episodes of REBELS--telling that it is a film meant for us older fans and not the kids, though I am sure many of them will like it as well. seems will get a break from cutesy droids and snarky Princesses. There seems to be one droid with one hell of a sardonic program though.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So, nobody here has seen this yet? They actually shut down Hollywood Blvd for the premiere. It was overdone, but the reviews for this rival the original Star Wars IV New Hope film. My Star Wars friends are saying that this film is the best Star Wars film ever made. The trailers are even awesome! Im gonna see it this weekend.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So, nobody here has seen this yet? They actually shut down Hollywood Blvd for the premiere. It was overdone, but the reviews for this rival the original Star Wars IV New Hope film. My Star Wars friends are saying that this film is the best Star Wars film ever made. The trailers are even awesome! Im gonna see it this weekend.

i think its general opening is this friday

the premiere was just for those hollywood muckety mucks and some others lucky enough to get a ticket

-------
if you have been watching REBELS this season, one would have seen some minor 'planting' , precedents setting type stuff

like the use of an AT 4 type anti armor weapon we see inR1 trailers used against the at-atst

showing local imperial militias doing the empire's bidding on their home worlds. IN the REBELS ep "Imperial super commandos" we see Mandolorian troops in the service of the empire policing the mandolorian home world system. this could be to show that these militias existed (it is in the canon books already) and it wasn't always storm troopers doing the work. Possibility that the R1 'Scarif troopers' are locals. that is why their uniforms are a bit different and they have not been seen before (scarif being the jungle/beach planet in R1)

Also, some attentive trailer watcher saw a ship in a rebel fleet in R1 that seems to be the Ghost from REBELS as well as the hammerhead battle cruisers used by Phoenix squadron. Cdr Sato

I would love to see even a minor live action tie in from REBELS

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so, after watching a "non spoiler review" I am more intrigued

the reviewers were commenting on the appearance of Saw Guerrara and Orson Krennic and said both characters were just what they expected

then the guy said, "are there other characters in the film you may be hoping to see make an appearance? (other then those two and Vader)" while shaking his head yes

so wonder who it is? someone worth the while or some minor character

there is a spec on the net for the scene where we see a hooded Sith like character approach what appears to be Vader's re-gen tank that is flanked by two red robed Imperial guards

saw one vid where they spec it is Ashoka Tano, finally seduced Vader out of interest and her 'love' for who he once was

just have to want and see
----

also said it was def an adult film for hard core SW's fans

sounds good

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
ok

just saw this

imo, a very good movie

wayyy better then ep7--it is like 2 totally diff companies made the two movies, so stark is the 'texture and flavor' of R1 from ep7 to me

lots of action (as promised)

lots of those (for those who had the action figs as kids) imaginary battles come to life on screen moments

there is seemingly a lot that was in the trailers that IS NOT in the movie. you can tell that when they said that there were changes made (disney execs?) they meant it

Not so much VADER as the trailers alluded to-ex-in a trailer we see him on the Death Star when in this movie you never see him there

a very familiar face is to be seen on the DS though!! clever how they pulled it off as well

And finally (it isn;t really a spoiler just one of the locations used) we see more of SW LEGENDS brought into canon in a small way by seeing VADER'S "castle" (i think on Mustafar where he was originally injured). that corresponds to the trailer scene of the bafta tank guarded by two red robed imperial guards

disappointing part was the "Sith like" character we see in the trailer bowing to vader is just some "schmo" and seemingly of no importance

no direct tie ins to REBELS unless you are paying attn

ex: on Yavin 4 base over intercoms we hear "general syndulla" being called to a briefing. of course this is Hera Syndulla from REBELS the cpt of the GHOST

we also see the hammerhead frigates being used in the rebel fleet, the same ships that CDR Sato uses in REBELS

for me the worse art was when we have to see a couple of characters that someone must of had the urge and power to make included in the movie (disney execs?) totally without meaning or purpose for the plot.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
SPOILERS ARE ABUNDANT in this video

but the guy is right, there are way more REBELS references in R1 then I prev noticed

also, I had thought as well that you could play R1 then straight into EP4 and there would be little to no transition time

all that would be missing is the hyperspace flight to Tattoine of the tantive 4 and DV's destroyer

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I admit to mixed feelings on this film having seen it.

On the one hand, it is a techie fans paradise and it does fit in the Star Wars canon line. The action is well executed and it was a legitimate attempt to create a Star Wars "war" movie.

On the other hand, the characters are flat as boards and the film feels like a dark fan film, with really way too much fan service to the point it got distracting (the partially CGI Leia and Tarkin were goofy). And the flat characters made me feel nothing at all over their sacrifice.

It could be worse. It's okay.

In a strange way the flat characters remind me of another Gareth Edwards film - Godzilla 2014. The human characters in that were also flat. And also like Godzilla 2014 Rogue One started out okay, died in the middle then picked up at the end (albeit it ends like Hamlet).

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and it does fit in the Star Wars canon line

it doesn't need to "fit" canon--it has created and expanded canon

and a lot of that expansion really just 'lifted' ideas from 'legends'; bast castle being one of the biggest 'fan favs'

and this isn't a Skywalker story-so we really do not need anything other then flat characters. and there is some known about some of those flatties

ex- Saw Guerra and his motivations are known from the CLONE WARS; Tarkin was power mad; Krennic as well-the power struggle between them was just more orchestration by Vader and Palpatine . they felt that the best way to run the empire was through conflict between the generals and other military leaders.

the other characters can be found out through some reading. SW CATALYST gives the backstory of the Erso's and Krennic. Just like you guys read the books on THE EXPANSE and know more about the backstory becasue you read them, so too can the same be achieved by reading CATALYST (as one can get info on the backstory of EP 7 from reading the AFTERMATH books)

why do we need to have sappy love stories and whiney boy stories of "daddy left me" to make a "good" SW's movie? I think all prev 7 films have plenty of that :)

that kind of story would have taken away from the action and the plot of the film. In a way, you can say that most of the R1 squad that initially attacked Scarif were men who knew themselves to be "flat". As the CPT said, they all had made sacrifices and done terrible things for the rebellion, they had no illusions of happy endings and that they wanted a chance to 'redeem' themselves (to themselves?) by taking part in a mission so important

and yes- it IS a war movie, no doubt, it was billed as such. and it was a freaking awesome war movie being set in the SW's arena

and I am glad that it was so built up as an anthology movie--so, no sequels (well there are already 7 sequels aren't there?) no prequels, though there is still plenty of space to tell other stories within the galaxy, the rebellion and the empire; big place, big movements lots of people (over a million imperials staffed the Death Star, so scale of potential players is massive

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is on Kodi already! I am watching it as I type this. Amazing....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it doesn't need to "fit" canon--it has created and expanded canon

and a lot of that expansion really just 'lifted' ideas from 'legends'; bast castle being one of the biggest 'fan favs'

and this isn't a Skywalker story-so we really do not need anything other then flat characters. and there is some known about some of those flatties

You don't see that as "settling" for less than you could have? At some point, these "franchise" films become exposed as being cash cows. I personally have seen Yoda on bags of oranges and C3PO on cans of tomato soup. However if you point out flaws or suggest that it could be better, you become the dreaded "fanboy" who is never satisfied or happy with change. Can't win for losing.

ex- Saw Guerra and his motivations are known from the CLONE WARS; Tarkin was power mad; Krennic as well-the power struggle between them was just more orchestration by Vader and Palpatine . they felt that the best way to run the empire was through conflict between the generals and other military leaders.

the other characters can be found out through some reading. SW CATALYST gives the backstory of the Erso's and Krennic. Just like you guys read the books on THE EXPANSE and know more about the backstory becasue you read them, so too can the same be achieved by reading CATALYST (as one can get info on the backstory of EP 7 from reading the AFTERMATH books)

why do we need to have sappy love stories and whiney boy stories of "daddy left me" to make a "good" SW's movie? I think all prev 7 films have plenty of that :)

that kind of story would have taken away from the action and the plot of the film. In a way, you can say that most of the R1 squad that initially attacked Scarif were men who knew themselves to be "flat". As the CPT said, they all had made sacrifices and done terrible things for the rebellion, they had no illusions of happy endings and that they wanted a chance to 'redeem' themselves (to themselves?) by taking part in a mission so important

and yes- it IS a war movie, no doubt, it was billed as such. and it was a freaking awesome war movie being set in the SW's arena

and I am glad that it was so built up as an anthology movie--so, no sequels (well there are already 7 sequels aren't there?) no prequels, though there is still plenty of space to tell other stories within the galaxy, the rebellion and the empire; big place, big movements lots of people (over a million imperials staffed the Death Star, so scale of potential players is massive

The bolded is why Star Trek and the original (and later) BSG worked. The stories were ADJACENT, concurrent and not necessarily linear storylines. By doing that, you can tell separate stories and have separate character groups yet be in the same universe and cross narrate and connect the different parts of that.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not sure why my mixed feelings provoked such a response. I noted it fits the canon and is a war movie and that the action sequences are well executed. I just said that to me there was too much fan service and the characters were flat - not developed enough to invest you in them. Which made their sacrifice lack emotional impact to me.

Plus (and again this could just be me), I don't like it when I have to have read a book or watch a web series to properly follow a movie or tv show. The movie or show needs to provide all the proper data itself. To me.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not sure why my mixed feelings provoked such a response. I noted it fits the canon and is a war movie and that the action sequences are well executed. I just said that to me there was too much fan service and the characters were flat - not developed enough to invest you in them. Which made their sacrifice lack emotional impact to me.

Plus (and again this could just be me), I don't like it when I have to have read a book or watch a web series to properly follow a movie or tv show. The movie or show needs to provide all the proper data itself. To me.

Im on your side! The characters WERE flat. The way Rogue One was done reminded me more of an episode of The Expanse than Star Wars in tone and writing. If it weren't for the music and the familiar props, it could be any generic action flick in space. But, it is Star Wars for sure. Also, I think it's important to point out that this film is definitely ORIGINAL. It does not do to me what Force Awakens did, which was remind me constantly that it was nothing more than a rehash of A New Hope with heavily influenced rebooted-ish characters. It had new ships, but they were instantly recognizable as Imperial ships and/or rebel ships. It showed us some of the SW races without adding new ones. And the music was definitely Star Wars style, but I also think they overdid the music a bit. There were rarely any scenes where music was not playing.

Overall, it was a good film and to me is the first ORIGINAL movie in the new Star Wars. It gave me a great lead in to Episode IV.

Also, I am 100% with you on not wanting to read any book or watch any web series to get the facts of a story I am following in a movie. I do not want to hear the punchline of a joke if I have to read a book to just to know what joke it is for. If it does not tell us in the movie, I will likely just ignore it. I am just not into Star Wars that much to want to bother. I used to get into it with GateFan because of that issue. I don't want to have to read some book in the saga to understand what I am seeing in the movie. I was happy when they dumped the EU for Star Wars because I would constantly be reminded by SW fanboys that this character did this, and that character is related to that. Now, the playing field is equal and there are no experts.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I can sort of see the parallel to the Expanse, except that those characters (in The Expanse) are not flat at all. They stick out and do get you to engage with them. Miller, Holden, Naomi, Amos, Chrisjen, even Dresden and Mao - there is enough to them that you get drawn into the characters.

Rogue One is as you say - good. But I keep thinking had they cut back the fan service some and developed the characters more it could have been so much more.