Star Trek TNG Being Converted To HD By CBS Paramount

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You heard right, the epic saga Star Trek The Next Generation is now being converted to HD for release on Blu-Ray. Levar Burton even confirmed that the conversion process was going really well and the new footage from TNG looks great.
Stopped by to see how the TNG conversion to HD for Blue Ray was coming along… #mindblown #bydhttmwfi http://moby.to/6nxp3k

Supposedly the original transfer of the episodes to DVD did not go well and the pilot episode “Encounter at Farpoint” had washed out colors and looked horrible. The process that CBS Paramount is using should display a massive upgrade from the DVD version and be well worth the wait. I hope that they also release the HD versions to replace the current episodes that are available on Netflix.

http://www.tekgoblin.com/2011/09/11/star-trek-tng-being-converted-to-hd-by-cbs-paramount/

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Yeah, Trek fans know this has been coming for a while. Hopefully the new effects will be a lot higher quality since the CGI team doesn't have to worry about making it look like it belongs in a 60s TV show. I'm particularly looking forward to not seeing as many Mirandas, Excelsiors, and Oberths.

G

Graybrew1

Well, this is my favorite ST, now. So I can't wait.

Good times. :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
How are they able to do this? I believe the show was taped, rather than filmed. Basically, you can't create detail where there wasn't any.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
How are they able to do this? I believe the show was taped, rather than filmed. Basically, you can't create detail where there wasn't any.
If you have a computer strong enough, you can do pretty much anything with film or tape. Have you seen the more complicated effects and filters in CS5.5? Jebus. One of the demos the Adobe guys showed me at work was unbelievable. A home video of someone in a car taping someone on a bike in the rain. It's shaky and a bit blurry. With a higher end graphics laptop, one hour later it was steadycam qualitysmooth, with no significant loss of frame I'm sure Paramount is taking much more effort with TNG so i'm setting my expectations pretty high! :D

S

Stonelesscutter

It's great that they're making this HD, but since I already have the DVD version I don't think I'll be paying for the bluray.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Paramount stored the original film used to create the show, so they have to reedit the footage with actors together with all new effects. But they apparently have notes telling them which takes and shots were used to make episode, so they don't have to spend as much time doing the post production stuff as a new show would.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
A little update: http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
First, we've got some heavy-duty Rumor Mill information about CBS' Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered Blu-ray sampler disc. Industry sources now tell us that the disc may be announced on 9/28, which is the 24th anniversary of the show's first broadcast back in 1987. We're also told that anticipated the U.S. release date will likely be in early December, on or around 12/6. Again, keep in mind that all of this is unofficial until CBS makes the actual announcement. As Picard would say, "Make it so..."
Cross your fingers for an announcement in the near future.

S

Stonelesscutter

I sense a huge download coming up somewhere around december. :D

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Oh, boy! I can't wait to lay down even more cash on yet another remastered old show I've seen 874612346 times!
OhOhBoy.jpg

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Oh, boy! I can't wait to lay down even more cash on yet another remastered old show I've seen 874612346 times!
View attachment 5907
Hey, at least the show needs it. Try watching a TNG episode on SyFy HD or BBC America HD. It looks pretty naff because of the fact it was edited on video (especially the first few seasons).

The Star Wars movies- now that is an unnecessary remaster.

S

Stonelesscutter

Hey, at least the show needs it. Try watching a TNG episode on SyFy HD or BBC America HD. It looks pretty naff because of the fact it was edited on video (especially the first few seasons).

The Star Wars movies- now that is an unnecessary remaster.

Indeed. Those should have been complete remakes. :P

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
:facepalm:

They need to throw the last three away and remake those first. :D

All I remember is the Phantom Annoyance was a big-ass trailer for the second movie that was nothing but a bunch of CGI'd clones marching around, leading to the third one that was 2 hours too long just to show you Darth Vader's origin.

All three could have been compressed into a two-hour webisode.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Actually, you can now. :). Once digitized, you have complete control. You can even tell a computer to extrapolate 3D from 2D images, create shadows and new light sources. You can insert entire objects, complete with all the lighting and shadows and anything else you want with today's CGI software. You could put 6 working eyes on Kirk and have them move with him throughout the entire episode. You can even skin a model with any actor and add a completely new scene. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
HD is old though believe it or not. It's been around since the 1930,which is why you see so many old films coming out in HD.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
HD is old though believe it or not. It's been around since the 1930,which is why you see so many old films coming out in HD.
indeed film is/was shot in the highest resolution possible and as such its easy to make new HD versions today.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Actually, you can now. :). Once digitized, you have complete control. You can even tell a computer to extrapolate 3D from 2D images, create shadows and new light sources. You can insert entire objects, complete with all the lighting and shadows and anything else you want with today's CGI software. You could put 6 working eyes on Kirk and have them move with him throughout the entire episode. You can even skin a model with any actor and add a completely new scene. :)
yes and no. problem is still and will allways be getting it to look good which is mostly a matter of cost but there are limits to the software.