Star Trek- Strange New Worlds

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I've been seeing the character preview videos on YouTube. Mostly they are not bad with a couple of exceptions:

1) We are seeing SOME (not all thankfully) of the offhand, borderline insubordinate dialogue that happens in STD and Picard happen here too. PLEASE don't do this! It breaks willing suspension of disbelief because Starfleet is a quasi military organization and ALL of the real Trek shows and movies had them behaving as such.

2) Fix Spock's sideburns - they detract from what is otherwise a pretty good version.

On the good side the tone I am seeing in them is VASTLY improved over the dark dreck of STD and Picard. And I like the idea of an Aenar crewmember. Having a Noonien Singh on the crew bears some explaining though as creates potential issues when considering the TOS episode Space Seed - hopefully they handle it well.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And the Pike one showed - it was okay.

So far things look okay with the exception I noted above - these are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS and when on duty should be communicating as such. But so far it is encouraging in that the visual cues seem a lot better.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not a bad trailer - tonally it feels much more like Trek than anything else from Kurtzman. The dialogue is still a bit too glib for me but the characters also seem more "in character".

Last edited:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
They can't erase the STD show, but certain aspects of it like the "spore drive" were sworn never to be spoken of again.

The bottom-line is although many "original" fans might hate STD and hope SNW will be separate, the writers and producers don't and they are the ones in control. The ratings are high enough that justify this and keeps all the shows connected. If you look on Paramount Plus they consider all their ST shows to be a part of their new "collection".

I would not be surprised if they find a way to have a few STD characters time jump into SNW just to keep the shows connected. I did love the early seasons of Vampire Diaries so I am hoping that Paul Wesley does a good job.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They may consider them part of a "collection", but they REALLY need to keep Strange New Worlds as separate from the other two as possible. Paramount Plus is not successful so far and is keeping Picard and STD around simply because it needs to show it has new content. Remember Netflix dropped STD late last year which if it performed well they would not have done. Also Paramount Plus lags behind every other studio streamer except Peacock in subscriber numbers and they are mum when asked about numbers for their shows.

So, Strange New Worlds has promise as a Trek show that so far is tonally more like classic Trek instead of the Dark, Violent dystopic tone of the other two shows. It's characters seem to actually have charisma as opposed to the STD ones and the visual cues are decent. Connecting it to especially STD would pollute that. And if (as seems likely based on the trailer) it is set after STD S2 any connections would be plot contradictions.

The question is whether SNW lives up to the promise. In May we find out.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Looks more like Star Trek Nu Trek
Possibly. Really the main issue I have so far with what we have seen is the overly glib dialog when they are on duty and doing official business. They don't sound like Starfleet and they need to.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
It is nuTrek, and a part of this collection, as these characters are spun off with same actors in same universe , but different time thanks to STD time jump, it just is.