Star Trek DS9: General Discussion Thread

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Wasn't there an episode in TOS where a female takes over Kirk's body and complains how, cos she is a woman, they are not considered capable of Captaining a starship, so she had no choice but to take over his body? I can't remember much of the details. :S

But there was Captain Rachel Garrett of ENT-C.

Yeah she was a real PITA. That was the one with Kirby and Lurch in his sparkly cape. :D

Saw a few minutes of a noteable DS9 ep. That was the one where they brought in comedian Andrea Martin. I remember how much anticipation there was. But the episode IMHO bombed. I still remember when it aired how let down I was that they just totally blew it. Instead of letting her tear up the place as a comic Ferengi (Moogy) they screwed it over to become some sort of bullshit preachy woman's rights hogwash.

Currently working on STNG S1. Has some bare spots in it but still very good in spite of some understandably dated SFX. I still love the way they got a hold of all those iPads. :P

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
General Discussion

I only recently started watching it. I've watched TNG and a season of the original series. However, I feel I have to back and finish the original series before I keep watching DS9, I'm missing out some plot things, I'm pretty sure.

I don't really like DS9 too much, they obviously copied the premise of B5. And there's not too much of a 'fun' factor. TNG had some fun factor, Deep Space nine is a bit too serious at times and I really dislike the Bjorans even though I'm supposed to feel sorry for them. They're so silly with their spirituality and electing that crazy lady as the head of their religious sect? What the hell is wrong with them. The Klingon's are pretty silly too with their overmanly barbarian complex. Eh, maybe it's just me, finding too many things silly.

Story seems pretty good though so far since it seems to be a long arc which TNG was missing, and Worf's joined up, he's hilarious. I remember the TNG episode where he says matter-of-factly to Keiko: You may now give birth. lmao

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Babylon 5 (1994) came out the year AFTER DS9 (1993) did, so no, they didn't copy it.

Sorry, dude.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Got a question.

The Dominion knows all kinds of information from the intelligence they've gathered. They've even been on Earth! So my question is this:

With all the information they've gathered, why haven't they looked into the wormhole aliens? I mean they're a pretty integral part of the show and pretty common knowledge in the Alpha quadrant. How come the Dominion don't seem to care about them?

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Got a question.

The Dominion knows all kinds of information from the intelligence they've gathered. They've even been on Earth! So my question is this:

With all the information they've gathered, why haven't they looked into the wormhole aliens? I mean they're a pretty integral part of the show and pretty common knowledge in the Alpha quadrant. How come the Dominion don't seem to care about them?

My guess: Arrogance. They probably didn't see them as "aliens" but dismissed it as just another superstition and religious mumbo-jumbo by an inferior culture (the Bajorans). If I'm not mistaken that was the attitude of the Federation as well (and even of Sisko before he actually started interacting them and the orbs himself).

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
See, I don't get that at all. A stable wormhole doesn't just appear out of nowhere. I would have thought they would have at least looked into it, the cause. I mean they know so much minor details about all the characters but don't look into that? And many people have looked into the orbs, I would have thought they would have looked into them at the very least.

I'm glad Odo got his changeling powers back though. The Dominion war seems imminent, about time. It was really starting to be a chore to watch a lot of these episodes most of them were where they build up a guest character then kill em off. I don't really like Worf, he's so...arrogant. Forcing Jadsia to abide by his culture. I have no idea what she sees in him. But he was funny in some parts, like when he said he'll be really far away when Keiko gives birth, hahaa.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
See, I don't get that at all. A stable wormhole doesn't just appear out of nowhere. I would have thought they would have at least looked into it, the cause. I mean they know so much minor details about all the characters but don't look into that? And many people have looked into the orbs, I would have thought they would have looked into them at the very least.

I'm glad Odo got his changeling powers back though. The Dominion war seems imminent, about time. It was really starting to be a chore to watch a lot of these episodes most of them were where they build up a guest character then kill em off. I don't really like Worf, he's so...arrogant. Forcing Jadsia to abide by his culture. I have no idea what she sees in him. But he was funny in some parts, like when he said he'll be really far away when Keiko gives birth, hahaa.
I loved seeing Worf being put in what would be very uncomfortable situations for his culture. I'm not sure that much will top that mudbath with Luaxana, Troi and Alexander.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
haha, yeah that was hilarious and the "you may now give birth" LOL

It's kinda weird, Sisko has a sort of disdain for Klingnon customs but Picard never did. But I'm guessing that's because Klignon stuff was explored more in DS9 and they made it more dark and stuff. I was hoping to see the Enterprise again but apparently it blew up? Guess I have to watch the movies.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
ENT-E blown up? Last time we saw it, the ship returned to the San Francisco Fleet Yards for repairs (again)

Why did Worf transfer again? I really need to watch the movies to find out what happened in between. But forgot that I need to watch the rest of the original series before I can start watching the movies, arrrggh.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Why did Worf transfer again? I really need to watch the movies to find out what happened in between. But forgot that I need to watch the rest of the original series before I can start watching the movies, arrrggh.
:lol:

Actually the movies don't help you all that much in matters of continuity...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
:lol:

Actually the movies don't help you all that much in matters of continuity...

Indeed, Worf gets "rescued" off the Defiant in FC, but as to why he gets transfered to DS9, I don't think you ever get to know for certain. What is odd is IIRC, at the end of DS9, he is supposed to become an ambassador between the Klingons and the Federation, yet he is still in the other TNG movies after FC.

Edit: Rather than rip swathes of text, check out this: http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Worf

See, I live in a virtual library :D

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I always figured Brooks took his cues for playing Sisko from the Brian Blessed School of Subtle Acting.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I always figured Brooks took his cues for playing Sisko from the Brian Blessed School of Subtle Acting.

Ok, dude. You're really on fire tonight. Keep the zingers coming. :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You just gotta picture it....I love Brian Blessed. For example as Voltan he made the Flash Gordon movie work.

Picture him as Sisko...