Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
OOh OOOh OOOH ..Sigorney Weaver as the captain OOOOH ... Yes yes yes ...
She knows how to take care of aliens .
Pilot Title ... Ripley Rips ,The Beginning.
Synopsis: There's a new sheriff in space and its not gonna be pretty . Watch out space fairing aliens cuz your numbers up if you step on the toes of the Federation !!!. Ripley gots warp drive now and can out race any race in a race that thinks they can race in the Galaxy that has many races and beyond where no Federation member has gone before ... But were goin now cuz Ripley gots Warp Drive . Not like that heap of junk The Nostromo ... All that thing did was blow up real gooooooooood !!! But it had a cool shuttle !!!
Coming this summer to a HDTV Screen at your home , or maybe a sports bar or tavern , or maybe your neighbours house because they don't have curtains and there windows are hugely over sized for there home just like there TV which is 10 times bigger than yours ...

;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More on this show...meh.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/10-new-star-trek-discovery-revelations/

It is set pre-TOS by 10 years:

The reason it’s set ten years pre-TOS

Nicholas Meyer (consulting producer): It’s about finding a space in the chronology where there’s room to maneuver and create stuff. What Bryan didn't want to do is use the same characters that had been in other series and iterations, so he looked and found this opening. I’m familiar with this, because I’ve written three Sherlock Holmes novels and I’m always looking for gaps in the Holmes chronology where I can reasonably fit in somewhere. That ten year pre-Kirk thing seemed perfect. I must say, I thought it was pretty clever.

The POV of the show will be from the First Officer perspective and not the Captain (huh?)

Why the series' POV is not the captain's

Fuller:
There have been six different Star Trek series, all told from the captains’ perspective. For this new iteration of Star Trek, we wanted to look at life on a Starfleet vessel from a different perspective, so we introduce a character [Number One] who’s not a captain, but is going to be interacting with the crew in a whole new dynamic that gave us the opportunity to tell an original and complicated story about life on a Starfleet vessel.

The red bolded...I smell a heavy interpersonal drama coming on. :( Who the hell wants to see a complicated story about life on a Starfleet vessel? What about exploration, finding new aliens and planets and interacting with new species? 10 years before TOS that is what it should be about, not life aboard the vessel. We can see that while the vessel is busy EXPLORING. :(

Kirsten Beyer (writer): The challenge in the past is that Star Trek[besides Deep Space Nine] was not serialized. They had to portray character growth and devleopment, while at the end of the story all of the toys had to go back in the box. Just the fact that we have thirteen hours to tell a story means that it's going to be less of an issue. We're definitely taking the time to go for that depth and that growth that wasn't necessarily possible in episodic shows.

It's going to be serialized. :( (soap opera in space anyone?)

Novels and comics are being created in conjunction with the series
Beyer, who made her name writing a string of highly-successfulVoyager novels, announced that frequent Trek author David Mack will be writing a novel based on Discovery, and that IDW will be publishing a comic that she will collaborate with writer Mike Johnson on. The difference between this publishing program from most others is that rather than being published after the series has begun airing, and having little continuity to it, the novels and the comics will be intertwined with the show.

:facepalm: Didn't we see this with The Walking Dead, Falling Skies and Defiance? I am sorry I am being so pessimistic, but this is just not looking good to me at all.

But this is really telling:

Fans should “lower their expectations”

Meyer:
If you carry on [with such high expectations] not only is there an inordinate pressure on those doing it, but you’re also putting pressure on yourselves that will almost inevitably lead to some disappointment. You can’t please everybody and you can’t please everybody all of the time. Art is not done by committee. With all due respect, fans do not know what is best for them. People told me I couldn’t kill Spock and I said, “It’s not a question of if you kill him, it’s if you kill him well.” If it’s perceived that it’s a clause to work out something in Leonard Nimoy’s contract, people are going to throw things at the screen and they’ll be right to throw them. On the other hand, if it proceeds organically from what is going on in the rest of the story, and it belongs, then people don’t question it. But it’s not a democracy. You have the right not to watch. You have the right to turn it off. But it is a symbiotic relationship and all I’m suggesting is that if you go with open minds and open hearts, you may be rewarded. Whereas if you go with a set of impossible-to-realize expectations, which even you cannot specifically define, then we’re bound to fail.

I still think this thing will flop on it's face and be dissed. I will also not consider paying for CBS All Access to watch a single episode of it.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Wow . Have the writers from sgpoo got a new job and moved to ST! Jeepers that all sound horrible indeed ...

:smiley-015::smiley-015::smiley-015:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
More on this show...meh.

The POV of the show will be from the First Officer perspective and not the Captain (huh?)

The red bolded...I smell a heavy interpersonal drama coming on. :( Who the hell wants to see a complicated story about life on a Starfleet vessel? What about exploration, finding new aliens and planets and interacting with new species? 10 years before TOS that is what it should be about, not life aboard the vessel. We can see that while the vessel is busy EXPLORING. :(

:facepalm: Didn't we see this with The Walking Dead, Falling Skies and Defiance? I am sorry I am being so pessimistic, but this is just not looking good to me at all.

I still think this thing will flop on it's face and be dissed. I will also not consider paying for CBS All Access to watch a single episode of it.

isn't the first officer going to be a female? money on her character being a lesbian with some other "minority issues" from today's world (not talking ethnicity)

I read that each season we are supposed to get a change in story and even characters, ala American Horror Story. that was before the 10cent trailer came out-they may have changed their minds

and they WILL explore with inter personal drama-- explore each other's pants that is

but the big question is; will they play somewhat obscure 20th century music (like say Iggy Azalea's "pussy" while they play doctor with one another) and will there be dirtbikes? a 4 wheeler perhaps?

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, at least being 10 years before TOS rules out the "kelvin-verse"....

Really, if they wanted to go down a different road set it after TOS but make the point of view that of a Klingon head of a Klingon house - have the Federation appear occasionally and the focus of the show be the Klingons. Kind of reverse TNG.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
More on this show...meh.

Not watching it if it is a soap opera

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Looks like the premiere has been delayed until May 2017. I also read reports that Bryan (or someone) said that the design in the trailer is not a final production.

http://www.blastr.com/2016-9-14/star-trek-discovery-premiere-date-bumped-may-2017

During the press conference, Fuller responded to a question from Access Hollywood’s Scott Mantz regarding how much influence an early conceptual design for Star Trek: The Motion Picture of the Enterprise had influenced the U.S.S. Discovery by stating “[it was] to a point where we legally can’t comment on it until we figure out some things.” When Trekmovie.com asked Kadin if the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery featured the final design of the ship, music, and logo, she laughed and said “NO! I was surprised Bryan didn’t say that, actually. I mean, we had three weeks to throw that together. We wanted to show fans…we’re super-excited by the score that this amazing composer, Fil Eisler, threw together as an audition and he did an incredible job. The concepts of the ship are totally what we’re going for and they’ll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver.”

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/24/exc...overy-producers-on-ships-design-shows-themes/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I also read reports that Bryan (or someone) said that the design in the trailer is not a final production

in this thread there is a post where it shows that the showrunners themselves said that the trailer was basically hashed together to get "something" to show at the event where the trailer was revealed

glad to see they are taking so much care,ehh?

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
turned off already - going to stick with Once Upon a Time!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
if they are 'launching' in '17,shouldn't we have a real trailer by now?

perhaps delayed? changing things due to the criticism?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I am guessing yes on the bolded. This thing stinks already. The people making it are arrogant and presumptuous. They have the Brad Wright attitude that Star Trek is a "brand" they can slap on anything and Trekkies will come. That did not happen with the movies (which were not Trek anyway), and this series needs regular viewers who will pay CBS fees to watch. I am not the least bit excited about this series. In fact, I am turned off by it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

I am guessing yes on the bolded. This thing stinks already. The people making it are arrogant and presumptuous. They have the Brad Wright attitude that Star Trek is a "brand" they can slap on anything and Trekkies will come. That did not happen with the movies (which were not Trek anyway), and this series needs regular viewers who will pay CBS fees to watch. I am not the least bit excited about this series. In fact, I am turned off by it.
Star Trek Discovery showrunner Bryan Fuller has stepped down due to his other projects

One of the most exciting things about CBS’s upcoming Star Trek Discovery was Bryan Fuller in the captain’s chair. Fuller has worked on shows like Pushing Daisies and Hannibal, and we were particularly excited to see his take on Gene Roddenberry’s universe. Now, Fuller is stepping back as the production’s showrunner, although he will remain the show’s executive producer.

Variety broke the news yesterday: Fuller will be stepping down to focus on two other shows he’s working on: Starz’s American Gods, and a reboot of Amazing Stories for NBC. Discovery’s executive producers Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts will take over his showrunning duties. CBS Studios said in a statement that the split was due to Fuller’s workload, and not the quality of what he was writing.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/27/13427300/star-trek-discovery-showrunner-bryan-fuller

We have two newbies at the realm of Star Trek writing...

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Star Trek Discovery showrunner Bryan Fuller has stepped down due to his other projects

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/27/13427300/star-trek-discovery-showrunner-bryan-fuller

We have two newbies at the realm of Star Trek writing...

Bryan Fuller was BAIT and nothing else. There is no reason I can think of which might pull him away from the opportunity for doing Trek unless there were creative differences. Everything I have read about this new series stinks of arrogant Abrams-think. This is still a Kurtzman baby, and he gave us the awful 2009 reboot.

From the new Federation Bird of Prey design to the dumb music track to the "Fans do not know what they want", this thing stinks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
well. new is not always bad...let's hope they are old trek fans

Why would they be? Nobody currently working on this thing are old Trek fans. They want new and dramatic, and they do not care about canon or what Trek is about. I am going to watch this thing going in assuming it will be utter crap. If they surprise me, then good. But I really don't think they will. It will be lacking in all the important areas, and force me to start an all new hate thread for it. :popcorn: