• No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Netflix paid for the entire 1st season, but they were talking lawsuit only 3 months later when they found out that this was not going to be traditional Trek. I don't think they are going to repeat their mistake if this thing tanks.

I don't think Netflix can repeat their mistake. They're hemorrhaging too much money. The party has to end at some point.

(Even if this show was a hit I doubt it would be enough to repair the financial breech that is draining Netflix.)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Isn't Netflix a billionaire establishment ? I thought they had lots of money to throw around ...
;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Isn't Netflix a billionaire establishment ? I thought they had lots of money to throw around ...
;)

That's what I thought as well. But I don't know.

;)
That's what I thought as well. But I don't know.

It's basic math when you think about how much of their catalog they have lost over the last couple years. And Disney just divorced them. Then there is the hundreds of millions (billions) they are spending (or have already spent) on original content that really isn't that good despite their claims to the contrary.

Here's a link to recent article that is both complimentary and critical (it claims the investors are okay with the insane spending levels). Apologies for it being the Daily Mail because that isn't the best source for news I admit. Nonetheless, they give several examples of insane spending amounts by Netflix, like Martin Scorsese's "The Irishman" which is costing $100 million to produce. Then there's Wil Smith's "Bright" which comes in at $90 million. That is a shit load of cash to be paying out. And that's just two examples out of many when it comes to Netflix. (And let's not forget about our darling "Discovery" that is setting them back a pretty penny.) Maybe I'm just a fiscal pessimist and will be proven wrong in the long run, but I think the predicted future returns on $20 billion invested won't really pan out.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4746708/Netflix-20-BILLION-debt.html

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You can watch it for free you know lol...You might like it if you liked NUBSG with Star Wars.

i dont want to watch it at all

not after what i have seen, pre air about it and what i have read here

and the whole thing about 'liking nu bsg'? yeah...

liking nubsg was a singular thing? (although i had hoped caprica would be a good pre quel)

all of these shows that came after it that are blatant attempts at trying to recreate the seeming, in production chaos (TPTBs not really having a plan or thought out end game,etc) and the'moodiness/darkness' of the show failed.

its hard to recreate a "successful mistake" (say what you will, but nu bsg had and still has a large group of fans--hell syfy and others would not be trying to copy it if there were not)

shows like sgu, defiance and others that have been forgotten-all tried to mimic the feel and look of it, i don't like any of those shows--they all sucked, they tried to hard to do what nubsg did by accident

and this looks nothing like star wars!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i saw this "article" on wikia

their take--doesn't say if they got it from watching or if it is from TPTB's

whatever

seems (i infer) the klingons /kling'arn'ts are indeed born as the klingons we know but perhaps genetically engineered or cosmetically changed (We know they can do some pretty good cosmo surgery) to appear as ancient klingons did

and they are identified as a separate "faction":

"The Klingons have been redesigned during the course of the Star Trek franchise. But, the Klingons in Star Trek: Discovery look radically different than any Klingons we’ve seen before. Their skin color is more purple than brown. Most appear to be bald (even Klingon women) whereas in the previous Trek TV series many had long hair. They also are wearing ornate armor that doesn’t seem to reference any time period in Klingon history that fans are familiar with."

It turns out that’s on purpose. The creators of Star Trek: Discovery wanted to redesign the Klingons. There had to be a narrative reason to do so. That’s why these new Klingons are utilizing ancient Klingon technology. Their families might even be isolated from regular Klingon life.

That’s where the leaders of this Klingon faction come into play

"http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/klingons-star-trek-discovery?li_source=LI&li_medium=wikia-rail"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

whatever

seems (i infer) the klingons /kling'arn'ts are indeed born as the klingons we know but perhaps genetically engineered or cosmetically changed (We know they can do some pretty good cosmo surgery) to appear as ancient klingons did

"The Klingons have been redesigned during the course of the Star Trek franchise. But, the Klingons in Star Trek: Discovery look radically different than any Klingons we’ve seen before. Their skin color is more purple than brown. Most appear to be bald (even Klingon women) whereas in the previous Trek TV series many had long hair. They also are wearing ornate armor that doesn’t seem to reference any time period in Klingon history that fans are familiar with."

It turns out that’s on purpose. The creators of Star Trek: Discovery wanted to redesign the Klingons. There had to be a narrative reason to do so. That’s why these new Klingons are utilizing ancient Klingon technology. Their families might even be isolated from regular Klingon life.

"http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/klingons-star-trek-discovery?li_source=LI&li_medium=wikia-rail"

Ridiculous. They better make me believe that nonsense somehow. But, it's too late. I have already balled up this show and thrown it in the trash.

whatever

#1. If they're going to do something like this they have to be very clear about it within the confines of the show. It can't be done in webisodes or articles on the Internet. It has to be explicitly explained by the characters inside of the show itself.

#2. And if they are going to show "rare" Klingons they need to show the mainstream Klingons in order for the viewers to compare and contrast them. That only makes sense.

#3. This show is dumb. Seriously, it's as dumb as dog turd on a sidewalk. I don't care about their "New and Improved" Klingons. They suck. The writing sucks. This show sucks. Period.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
#1. If they're going to do something like this they have to be very clear about it within the confines of the show. It can't be done in webisodes or articles on the Internet. It has to be explicitly explained by the characters inside of the show itself.

#2. And if they are going to show "rare" Klingons they need to show the mainstream Klingons in order for the viewers to compare and contrast them. That only makes sense.

#3. This show is dumb. Seriously, it's as dumb as dog turd on a sidewalk. I don't care about their "New and Improved" Klingons. They suck. The writing sucks. This show sucks. Period.

^^^^THIS.

Nobody is going to let them get away with those Klingoffs. No matter what they say or do, nothing is going to explain them or how they look or how they act. I can't even think of a way for them to do it using an alternate universe or a mirror universe. It's like saying that cats were once dogs long ago, but they were kept in stasis for a million years and dogs evolved from cats and that is why they are different today. Really? Humans looked and behaved like humans hundreds of thousands of years ago, and even the hominids before humans behaved like basic humans do today. If the ancient Klingons were all bald, why would the smooth forehead Klingons be hairy like they were in TOS?

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
These Klingons are an insult to the Klingons from all the previous ST. They are more like monsters than a different species. The thing that you could tolerate about the other Klingons is they almost seemed like us in a different skin. These Klingons are just over the top caricatures of the likes of B'elanna or Worf and their dark sides. They feel very two dimensional now, unlike how complex the others were. They never would have incited several generations to actually learn to speak the language because they are so lame and non redeemable. Even the horror of the Romulan Nero seemed to have been worthy in his past. These twits are just walking gargoyles. I hate to even think about what they will have the Romulans look like or worse yet the Ferengi.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

#1 yup! a lot of that going on in today's shows that are so popular for some reason (the twenty somethings i have heard talk about this show love it, and they love TWD, FTWD, DOMINION,DEFIANCE..crap, crap, crappity crap crap

example--fear twd had those airplane "commercial-sodes' during TWD season . they showed the start of the epidemic for 2 ppl who eventually ended up meeting up with the main group--or one of them--they did it last season too. if you DVR or stream FTWD, then you won't see those eps and they could be left out--not that I really care--butt hey do play intothe main plot

other shows do this as well. nuBSG did it with the 'face of the enemy' webisodes and "resistance". You could totally be without knowing about them and not have missed anything. AGAIN, i just think these "as seen elsewhere" parts of plot and backstory are a further attempt at copying shows that have come before

#2- and to answer to OM1 answer to my post- yeah, they do need to show the klingons we know to match it up, some kind of 'salvation'. I guess --or do we know already-the nature of klingon ancestors then it would be understood. that is if they were reptilian, but since DNA is know to be shared between klingons, humans, vulcans, romulans, etc of the galaxy- then they too would have to have evolved in a sim way to the rest of us.

IDK OM, would this TPTB idea be any more extreme then with TNG changing klingons so much and the much belated explanation of why given only in the last season of ENTERPRISE?

#3 and in general- i am not watching this show, i have no plans to do so, was just chiming in with that bit of "news" that i saw

so, keep on keeping on with your all's deep enjoyment of ST DISCOVERY!!! :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The way these nuKlingons speak doesn't lend a lot of credibility in regards to being a spacefaring species with disruptorguns and cloaking technology.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Found a fitting title for the new series.
Have to add Star Trek to it in the beginning if you want the search engines to find it. :pride: ;)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Have to add Star Trek to it in the beginning if you want the search engines to find it. :pride: ;)
I hate giving it the Star Trek name because this series absolutely stinks. At first he says that the ship isn't a warship but is a science vessel but somehow in the next episode, it turns into a warship again? Like what the fuck? None of the storyline is making any coherent sense.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
Egad, the "I was bred to sense death" twit is now the number one to the captain of the Discovery. Seriously, they have nobody else better suited to hold that rank?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Holy crap ,,,youtube is just lambasting this show . Review after review just crapping on it as it deserves .
Even SGPooo did not get this much flack initially and it is very similar in so many ways . Thousands of commentators can't stand michael ... So I see she was ordering the capatain around . Sheese ... What an utter asshole her character is . No one is gonna pay to see this garbage ... This may be the biggest costliest failing production in the history of television . Yikes ...

Attachments

• Encountering_Creature_Black_Lagoon.jpg
    Encountering_Creature_Black_Lagoon.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 107

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Holy crap ,,,youtube is just lambasting this show . Review after review just crapping on it as it deserves .
Even SGPooo did not get this much flack initially and it is very similar in so many ways . Thousands of commentators can't stand michael ... So I see she was ordering the capatain around . Sheese ... What an utter asshole her character is . No one is gonna pay to see this garbage ... This may be the biggest costliest failing production in the history of television . Yikes ...
Star Trek fans are very critical of Star Trek than Stargate fans.