Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Well, I saw most of it so far (I'll have to wait to see the rest when it shows up online)....

Frankly it was pretty bad. The pacing was choppy and it really felt like the episode was an excuse to show a bunch of discordant and baroque CGI visuals. I was able to get no sense of the characters, especially the "Klingons". I think part of the problem is their decision to in effect reboot - it means prior Trek canon provides no usable context and they did not provide enough information for character actions to make any sense.

Acting was all over the place. Michelle Yeoh is usually an excellent actress - here she felt like no one had really told her how to play the Captain. Sonequa Martin-Green was borderline cringeworthy as a human brought up by Vulcans. Then again she was cringeworthy in her previous gig on The Walking Dead as Abraham's sudden unexplained girlfriend Sasha. Ironically the Klingon actors did the best jobs overall and had they not been identified as Klingons could have been interesting.

I find the notion that they expect anyone to pay to watch this laughable...
So it's like the TNG premiere then? :D

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I wonder how much CBS paid him for the positive review. My guess is the actual Trek fanbase will excoriate this slop.
Well, he's just being diplomatic and he knows he is on camera so he can't be honest but he did hint that it was awkward and the writing was jj abhrams so that's enough for me to be convinced that it sucks.

Well, I saw most of it so far (I'll have to wait to see the rest when it shows up online)....

Frankly it was pretty bad. The pacing was choppy and it really felt like the episode was an excuse to show a bunch of discordant and baroque CGI visuals. I was able to get no sense of the characters, especially the "Klingons". I think part of the problem is their decision to in effect reboot - it means prior Trek canon provides no usable context and they did not provide enough information for character actions to make any sense.

Acting was all over the place. Michelle Yeoh is usually an excellent actress - here she felt like no one had really told her how to play the Captain. Sonequa Martin-Green was borderline cringeworthy as a human brought up by Vulcans. Then again she was cringeworthy in her previous gig on The Walking Dead as Abraham's sudden unexplained girlfriend Sasha. Ironically the Klingon actors did the best jobs overall and had they not been identified as Klingons could have been interesting.

I find the notion that they expect anyone to pay to watch this laughable...

I actually liked Michelle Yeoh's performance in this one quite a lot. There was this calm surety she brought to the character. (Not sure of all that you saw but she's in the opening scene and it sets the tone for the relationship between her and her first officer.)

I think SMG can be good but by the end of this episode her acting was very heavy handed and obvious. And yes, having the character raised by Vulcans seemed a bit too "cute" if that makes sense. The writers are trying very hard to interest us in her personal story but honestly I couldn't care less.

One thing I did find unintentionally funny was the racial moment with the Klingons. I don't want to spoil it so I won't say more about it at this point.

So basically I would consider watching this show a few more times if it was on regular TV, but it's definitely not worth subscribing to a streaming service for. I'm sure the premiere will get a huge bump from the football lead-in, but it's a given that people are going to be dropping off in droves by next week.

Last edited:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
And now for something totally familiar.

Why is it that the original series was all about hope and peace; while all of the other series are mostly about murder and mayhem?, " as he says, after whacking his head five or six times with a metal pot.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I actually liked Michelle Yeoh's performance in this one quite a lot. There was this calm surety she brought to the character. (Not sure of all that you saw but she's in the opening scene and it sets the tone for the relationship between her and her first officer.)

I think SMG can be good but by the end of this episode her acting was very heavy handed and obvious. And yes, having the character raised by Vulcans seemed a bit too "cute" if that makes sense. The writers are trying very hard to interest us in her personal story but honestly I couldn't care less.

One thing I did find unintentionally funny was the racial moment with the Klingons. I don't want to spoil it so I won't say more about it at this point.

So basically I would consider watching this show a few more times if it was on regular TV, but it's definitely not worth subscribing to a streaming service for. I'm sure the premiere will get a huge bump from the football lead-in, but it's a given that people are going to be dropping off in droves by next week.
This looks like JJ Abrams with star wars.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Klingon portrayal was so bad it was borderline funny. Both they and their "ship" were so baroque in their visuals that they felt like they belonged in Clive Barker's Hellraiser not in Star Trek.

At this point even with the partial misfire last week The Orville is the REAL Star Trek.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The Klingon portrayal was so bad it was borderline funny. Both they and their "ship" were so baroque in their visuals that they felt like they belonged in Clive Barker's Hellraiser not in Star Trek.

At this point even with the partial misfire last week The Orville is the REAL Star Trek.
The Klingons are being portrayed as Barbarians and someone with a really sick mind. My analysis is that it runs more like Star Trek 2009 EXACTLY!. Its pacing, it's story telling and general tint and vibe is Star Trek 2009, but this is no way the original Trek. I'll still watch it, but it doesn't excite me like the Orville does.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am just now waking up after a nap. I think I will watch this now.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
1st episode was better than the second one. The second one was well, felt like watching Trek 2009 again. The show is an incoherent mess though. They've already started
killing off all the major characters[/spoilers] which makes no sense.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not sure I'd say Trek 2009, as that at least still felt optimistic. This slop felt like Star Trek Into Darkness.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I lost count of how many people were saying that they would never pay to watch this show, lol. The reviews are by and large scathing. It's funny to see the obvious CBS shills get shot down when they try to say how great the show is. :daniel_new_anime021:

Edited to add: "S." is being outed as a CBS shill in the comments, lol. It's so obvious! Too funny.
What people say and do are two separate things. I assume you game, yeah? People said that they would boycott Call of Dutiy MW2 but so many people bought it that it made the guy billions.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This was absolutely horrible.

DISGUST-GIF.gif

It was so bad I need to start a new Sucks thread on the show.