Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

heisenberg

Earl Grey
New footage in an interview. Happy to give this show a chance provided it does not suck.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
New footage in an interview. Happy to give this show a chance provided it does not suck.

Watched both. Still don't like it. It's too dark, and in the darkness are lights that are too bright. There is too much lens flare, too many reflections in things, too many explosions. The look of it is horrible IMO. And it still feels NOTHING like Star Trek, whereas The Orville does.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The language is rough but the points are valid:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The language is rough but the points are valid:

I really liked that video. The guy who made it is so comfortable with being in front of the camera, and he talks in such casual conversational style, I was able to watch it all the way through (unlike Plinkett). He made some great points! And he was especially right when he told the producers not to be surprised when the audience rejects it. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well to be fair this is just someone talking and the Plinkett reviews are half in-depth analysis from the perspective of people schooled in drama and half lowbrow comedy schtick. Two different animals.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well to be fair this is just someone talking and the Plinkett reviews are half in-depth analysis from the perspective of people schooled in drama and half lowbrow comedy schtick. Two different animals.

That's probably why I don't like those reviews. The movie audience is not in that group of people. I think the Plinkett reviews are spot on, and the points made are usually right on the money. It's the delivery that bores me to the point of clicking the STOP button.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And yet those reviews are very popular. I think in a way they caught lightning in a bottle when they came out in that they captured a LOT of what enraged Star Wars fans about the prequels (for example) just in a more detailed sense.

Back to this guy - his point that it is hard to figure out what group Discovery is trying to aim at is well made.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Watched both. Still don't like it. It's too dark, and in the darkness are lights that are too bright. There is too much lens flare, too many reflections in things, too many explosions. The look of it is horrible IMO. And it still feels NOTHING like Star Trek, whereas The Orville does.
I know that the window is closing but I like to be very fair when it comes to a TV show. I don't like Seth's work but look how good the orville is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know that the window is closing but I like to be very fair when it comes to a TV show. I don't like Seth's work but look how good the orville is.

GREAT point. Seth is not one of my favorites at all. However, Seth also did not lie.

• Seth did not promise us one thing and deliver another.
  • Seth never tried to deny that Orville was not going to be like Star Trek. In fact, he was banking on the similarities and he still is.
  • Seth did not take an established universe and change it into something else. He adopted an orphaned universe and re-shaped the elements within it.
  • Seth did not have a fanbase to piss off. Instead, he is going to acquire a hefty portion of the Star Trek fanbase which is going to become part of the rapidly growing Orville fanbase.
The critics are CLEARLY out of touch with this genre, when you take a look at Rotten Tomatoes:

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
GREAT point. Seth is not one of my favorites at all. However, Seth also did not lie.

• Seth did not promise us one thing and deliver another.
  • Seth never tried to deny that Orville was not going to be like Star Trek. In fact, he was banking on the similarities and he still is.
  • Seth did not take an established universe and change it into something else. He adopted an orphaned universe and re-shaped the elements within it.
  • Seth did not have a fanbase to piss off. Instead, he is going to acquire a hefty portion of the Star Trek fanbase which is going to become part of the rapidly growing Orville fanbase.
The critics are CLEARLY out of touch with this genre, when you take a look at Rotten Tomatoes:

View attachment 33509
The critics are just that critics. Just like how you are prejudice, these critics have this preconceived bias It was portrayed as being a comedy spoof but turned out to be light comedy but more Science Fiction.

Either way, we will now have two potentially good shows. I for one don't see anything wrong with that, with a 3rd one coming along.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

looks...boring.

Looks fucked up. It's so very bad. Parchment? Pencil drawing and etching? It does not convey much of anything. Why the exploded views of the communicator and phaser? It is such FAIL coming at us at Warp 10. It comes on tonight and I am still not the least bit excited.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And CBS screws it up again.....they need to make sure their shows can be correctly recorded and again part of it is chopped off.

looks...boring.
Looks fucked up. It's so very bad. Parchment? Pencil drawing and etching? It does not convey much of anything. Why the exploded views of the communicator and phaser? It is such FAIL coming at us at Warp 10. It comes on tonight and I am still not the least bit excited.

I agree, the opening titles are really lame and don't convey an emotional sense of Star Trek at all. They just show various props like a Federation communicator, etc. It's rather underwhelming.

Also, just saw the premiere episode. I didn't hate it but I certainly didn't love it. And I am definitely not compelled to sign up for CBS All Access to see more of this show.

The thing I did like was the interaction between the female leads in this one. Other than that there was a fair amount of stylish FX but not a whole lot else. Your take may be different when you see it.

And CBS screws it up again.....they need to make sure their shows can be correctly recorded and again part of it is chopped off.

I still can't believe that as we slide closer to 2018 DVR's still can't read an embedded signal in a broadcast and must rely on a pre-programmed time schedule as the que to start recording. That is technologically unacceptable.

*If it's any consolation I suspect they will rerun this episode ad nauseum so they can gin up interest in their subscription service. You should be able to catch it again hopefully.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, I saw most of it so far (I'll have to wait to see the rest when it shows up online)....

Frankly it was pretty bad. The pacing was choppy and it really felt like the episode was an excuse to show a bunch of discordant and baroque CGI visuals. I was able to get no sense of the characters, especially the "Klingons". I think part of the problem is their decision to in effect reboot - it means prior Trek canon provides no usable context and they did not provide enough information for character actions to make any sense.

Acting was all over the place. Michelle Yeoh is usually an excellent actress - here she felt like no one had really told her how to play the Captain. Sonequa Martin-Green was borderline cringeworthy as a human brought up by Vulcans. Then again she was cringeworthy in her previous gig on The Walking Dead as Abraham's sudden unexplained girlfriend Sasha. Ironically the Klingon actors did the best jobs overall and had they not been identified as Klingons could have been interesting.

I find the notion that they expect anyone to pay to watch this laughable...