Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Netflix is the MySpace of streaming services. It was the first best, and it had a nice long run, but to be honest, it no longer meets expectations and it's competitors have raised the bar significantly. They have nothing to offset the licensing costs for media except subscriber fees and modest growth of said subscribers. However, the market is now almost saturated, and there are quite simply, better choices out there now.
Are there better choices really or is the content really running dry? All these reboots stink because the guys who write them A) don't have any imagination, B) Are doing it for the sole purpose of money and not actually want to tell a great story. C) They don't give a fuck. I also see a lack of originality too which is upsetting but the audience are too dumb to take notice. Even when they think of an original idea, it still stinks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Latest trailer. Meh, it looks very sparkly and explode-y but it is still not Star Trek. Looks exactly like Abrams crap.

I don't like it because it is a perversion of Star Trek. As bad as sparkly vampires. What they told us is that this would NOT be the Kelvin timeline, which is true. But it is still Kurtzman's alternate timeline in look and feel, and it looks like it is just some action series. It will be a one season wonder, then it will go away.

September 24.

I suggest a special GateFans premiere watch, since it is going to stream. Details in new thread.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
It is funny Alex kurtzman mentioned that it is cannon but it looks exactly jj abrams universe.

Furthermore, I noticed that CBS produced a show called Elementary - I wonder why they didnt get sued by BBC and movie came a year before the series.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
It is funny Alex kurtzman mentioned that it is cannon but it looks exactly jj abrams universe.

Furthermore, I noticed that CBS produced a show called Elementary - I wonder why they didnt get sued by BBC and movie came a year before the series.
BBC never was not the one to be suing anyone. I am going to assume this was hashed out in court with a big fat settlement. BBC and CBS would have had to pay the copyright fees or battle this out to the true owner of the Sherlock Holmes intellectual property.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/45...mer-as-BBC-face-lawsuit-from-American-heiress

Yep, looks like they paid it.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/02/public-domain

But CBS will never have this problem with Star Trek. It all falls down to who really owns the rights to Star Trek IP. From what I researched it was made by Desilu. Desilu was bought by Paramount Pictures. Viacom bought Paramount Communications. Viacom bought CBS. Viacom and CBS split and the old Viacom became CBS and had the holding company of CBS Paramount Network Television....a few more splits and name changes later CBS owns the rights to it all and Paramount Pictures licenses the rights to make the movies while CBS Television makes the TV show. It is confusing but full on, CBS begat from the company that bought Desilu so it is their right to do whatever the hell they want with the TV shows and the movies. So, whoever the head honchos are at CBS, they free to use this canon or that, but it is all theirs, both the movies and the TV shows.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_corporate_history

I was under the impression that Doyle's works have passed into "the public domain", which means that they are no longer copyrighted. It seems the people claiming to "own" the copyright are sketchy at best but have been getting paid off because the studios simply want to avoid any hassle and the pay off is relatively cheap (40,000 pounds in one case).

As for Star Trek, now that Roddenberry has passed I think there will be much less emphasis on fidelity to canon. The gatekeeper is gone so it's not surprising that changes are going to be made by the people who get their hands on the property. Not that I approve as a lot of what I'm seeing is a cynical attempt to cash in on the ST name. What makes it worse is that these cynical A-holes always claim to be huge fans of ST and blah blah justify-my-raping-of-the-franchise blah. :rolleye0014:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Azaliarazor hit the nail on the head. CBS owns the Desilu rights so they have no excuses for deviating so much from canon. Much as we may not care for the JJ Verse at least Bad Robot can point to Paramount not having all of the needed rights forcing them to deviate in some areas; albeit not as many as they actually did.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
BBC never was not the one to be suing anyone. I am going to assume this was hashed out in court with a big fat settlement. BBC and CBS would have had to pay the copyright fees or battle this out to the true owner of the Sherlock Holmes intellectual property.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/45...mer-as-BBC-face-lawsuit-from-American-heiress

Yep, looks like they paid it.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/02/public-domain

But CBS will never have this problem with Star Trek. It all falls down to who really owns the rights to Star Trek IP. From what I researched it was made by Desilu. Desilu was bought by Paramount Pictures. Viacom bought Paramount Communications. Viacom bought CBS. Viacom and CBS split and the old Viacom became CBS and had the holding company of CBS Paramount Network Television....a few more splits and name changes later CBS owns the rights to it all and Paramount Pictures licenses the rights to make the movies while CBS Television makes the TV show. It is confusing but full on, CBS begat from the company that bought Desilu so it is their right to do whatever the hell they want with the TV shows and the movies. So, whoever the head honchos are at CBS, they free to use this canon or that, but it is all theirs, both the movies and the TV shows.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_corporate_history
That makes sense.

These are the writers from the tv shows it's a pity that they won't be exploring future potential concepts that are believable science.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I think they are just wanting time to build the bomb shelter and line up their defense from a lawsuit from Netflix for false advertising? :). The thing looks terrible, lets just call it. I have seen NOTHING and I mean nothing at all, from Kurtzman which is not shallower than a car wash puddle. You can't get V8 roar out of a 4-cyl engine no matter how many turbos and superchargers you add to it, and no matter what kind of swoopy, sexy car body you put on it. Kurtzman just lacks the creative brainpower to come up with anything cerebral. This show is just the TV version of the Kelvin-verse, which he also created.

See for yourself: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0476064/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Besides Xena, which was a long time ago, there is nothing he has created which I like.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I think they are just wanting time to build the bomb shelter and line up their defense from a lawsuit from Netflix for false advertising? :). The thing looks terrible, lets just call it. I have seen NOTHING and I mean nothing at all, from Kurtzman which is not shallower than a car wash puddle. You can't get V8 roar out of a 4-cyl engine no matter how many turbos and superchargers you add to it, and no matter what kind of swoopy, sexy car body you put on it. Kurtzman just lacks the creative brainpower to come up with anything cerebral. This show is just the TV version of the Kelvin-verse, which he also created.

Besides Xena, which was a long time ago, there is nothing he has created which I like.
https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/70akvq/david_mack_discovery_rant/

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
You can't get V8 roar out of a 4-cyl engine no matter how many turbos and superchargers you add to it, and no matter what kind of swoopy, sexy car body you put on it.

You can easily build some speakers under the hood that can do the job.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You can easily build some speakers under the hood that can do the job.

Essentially, that is what Kurtzman is doing! He has big-ish names in the show, he has a super plush budget, there is no risk to the studio, and somebody has given him free reign.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Simpsons suffered from people distancing what this show was meant for. I will reserve my judgement for star trek during the premiere but since it has very little star trek pedigree, I am not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh so it's one those alternative universe episodes now.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-mirror-universe-episode/

Wow, so what the hell will that look like? :icon_neutral: :rolleye0014::rolleye0014:

How can they do a mirror universe episode if Discovery is in it's own universe? Why should I care about the mirror universe of a universe I already hate before ever seeing it? It's so strange how I feel that this show is making me feel the way I did just before SGU aired. I already know it's going to suck, and I am in pre-rant mode right now.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Wow, so what the hell will that look like? :icon_neutral: :rolleye0014::rolleye0014:

How can they do a mirror universe episode if Discovery is in it's own universe? Why should I care about the mirror universe of a universe I already hate before ever seeing it? It's so strange how I feel that this show is making me feel the way I did just before SGU aired. I already know it's going to suck, and I am in pre-rant mode right now.
CBS people have accidentally blurted out that it's going to be a Reboot but this cuntsman asshole won't admit it that he's WRONG! I am hoping that Netflix sue his ass off

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
CBS people have accidentally blurted out that it's going to be a Reboot but this cuntsman asshole won't admit it that he's WRONG! I am hoping that Netflix sue his ass off

Now that would be fun to watch! No doubt more entertaining than Discovery is going to be! Netflix was already talking lawsuit when they found out that the show was going to be something unfamiliar to the fans.

What is the point of using a character like Harry Mudd or Sarek in a reboot which has basically thrown all canon out the window and looks totally different than the Prime universe they claimed the show would take place in? Somewhere I read that they are calling it Prime universe for old Trek fans, even though nothing in the show takes place in the Prime universe. And this is not even the Kelvin universe, even though everything in it is identical in how it looks. It already sucks and I have not seen a single minute of it. By the time it comes out on the 24th, there will have been three episodes of The Orville aired.