Star Trek: Discovery versus The Orville - That Inevitable Comparison.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The two previous seasons of South Park have shown that serialized storytelling is inferior when it comes to humor. Serialized stories need to be more serious and work with serious shows like Babylon 5.

This is very true. And the arc has to have pacing which facilitates slicing it up into episodes (Acts?). Comedy and comedic situation drama is done better episodically which stand alone. Plus it means you can shuffle your episode collection!

The Orville is like eating a meal. You are served the entrees on the plate, and you take bites out of each entree, the veggies, the bread and a sip of whatever you are drinking. And the meal is finished when the plate is empty. Some restaurants employ the one entree at a time (for all guests at your table) routine, but to me that is tedious and regimented.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You are VERY forgiving on many shows and movies, so I know this particular show (Discovery) has really turned you off! I feel the same way. They have all that money and they could have paid for three seasons with it if they had simply done Star Trek. Axanar did not even cost the million Alex raised. I would say that a full hour of that level of work they did might push to about 2 million per episode MAX. That is a drop in the bucket.

I dunno about VERY forgiving. After all I came down harder on Star Trek Into Darkness than even you did :)

I think Discovery offends so badly because:

- The lead actress is bad. She stunk in The Walking Dead and she stinks here.

- Her character is possibly the most unappealing character I have seen in years, and the show is focused on her.

- The weird premise effectively turns the Star Trek scenario on its head. In the usual Trek world if the Klingons want to be left alone the Federation says "sure thing - that is the Prime Directive". They have in essence made the Federation busybodies and the bad guys here.

- The Klingon portrayal is bizarre and offputting. They look like the Cenobites from a Clive Barker Hellraiser film, their way overdone makeup means they have no facial expression and are effectively monsters and the weirdest part is they actually are the aggrieved party here - even though the show tries to present it the opposite way.

And on and on.

Check this out:

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
But maybe the prime directive doesn't exist yet and it's exactly this war with the Klingons that incites the development of it.

Uh oh... back on topic now boys!

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
But maybe the prime directive doesn't exist yet and it's exactly this war with the Klingons that incites the development of it.

Uh oh... back on topic now boys!
I know off topic again, they mention it in the first ep . Called general order or something like that . Can't stomach to watch the first few mins again to confirm so if you can do it that would be better ...

;)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I know off topic again, they mention it in the first ep . Called general order or something like that . Can't stomach to watch the first few mins again to confirm so if you can do it that would be better ...

;)

People always be putting me to work these days.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
People always be putting me to work these days.

I find it unwatchable. I have to rely on you guys who are watching it to get feedback.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

;)

Okay, the "General Order Number One" was already in place in the first episode. They were on some desert planet trying to save the extinction of a pre-industrial species by releasing water (in violation of the Prime Directive, btw). In canon, it was always the Prime Directive and never "General Order One". In this show they don't give a frack.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Have you guys watched this review ? OMG he nails it also ...

i just watched that on YT and was going to link it!

anyhow, from what i read here and from what of THE ORVILLE i have watched, i think this guy is right on

especially with his #7 on the STD

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here is a space battle from STD. Watch it, then tell me what you think.

This show is incredibly bad, and I also understand why some exec sitting watching this on his office monitor was back clapping the VFX crew for a "job well done". But it isn't Star Trek. You could splice that battle into a Star Wars film and nobody would notice. Even the sounds are wrong. Also, the Constitution class ships are the newest ships in the STD timeline. Discovery is some sort of secret ship and is the only one with the spore drive.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Here is a space battle from STD. Watch it, then tell me what you think.

This show is incredibly bad, and I also understand why some exec sitting watching this on his office monitor was back clapping the VFX crew for a "job well done". But it isn't Star Trek. You could splice that battle into a Star Wars film and nobody would notice. Even the sounds are wrong. Also, the Constitution class ships are the newest ships in the STD timeline. Discovery is some sort of secret ship and is the only one with the spore drive.

dumb and not trek to me

who is that at the helm? a 7 of 9 copy? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
She wishes!

This show (The Orville) is just so fun to watch! I just rewatched Season 1, and the show is infinitely rewatchable. I really have to wonder why so many fans seem to want an arc and serialized storytelling. We don't really need that! We can have "over-arcs" and have the episodes themselves be standalone.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Anybody notice how all the Planetary Union ships look similar and related? All of Star trek's ships have looked related to each other, even within species their ships looked related. Klingon ships, Dominion ships, Cardassian ships, Ferengi ships, Romulan, Andorian, Borg, etc. In Star Trek Discovery they look wildly different and unrelated. The clip I saw for Season 2 of STD makes Discovery's crew and ship look like it was designed in a completely different universe than the Enterprise.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Anybody notice how all the Planetary Union ships look similar and related? All of Star trek's ships have looked related to each other, even within species their ships looked related. Klingon ships, Dominion ships, Cardassian ships, Ferengi ships, Romulan, Andorian, Borg, etc. In Star Trek Discovery they look wildly different and unrelated. The clip I saw for Season 2 of STD makes Discovery's crew and ship look like it was designed in a completely different universe than the Enterprise.

the trailer i saw for STD 2 looks incredibly cringe worthy and overwhelmingly dumb