Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

heisenberg

Earl Grey
He would have done Star Trek! He would have scoffed at Enterprise, all the reboot films and possibly DS9. He would never have done the Q or the holodeck or the Prophets, he would not have done Seven of Nine or the Doctor, but he would probably have done Data. All speculation, but these are things based upon where he was trying to go with Trek (by my understandings about him).

I think we would have seen the saucer separation with the original TOS Enterprise, and that First Contact would have been a mere episode and not a movie. He would have kept the Klingons and Romulans as enemies. His mind was from the 1950s.
The Q stories were fun to watch. Enterprise was entertaining. I also don't see anything wrong with the holodeck stories. Infact Holodeck stories were incorporated by Gene himself from after the inventor of the digital projector went to see Gene, so no - it's not fake. They were fun too. Not sure why you are complaining about.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Q stories were fun to watch. Enterprise was entertaining. I also don't see anything wrong with the holodeck stories. Infact Holodeck stories were incorporated by Gene himself from after the inventor of the digital projector went to see Gene, so no - it's not fake. They were fun too. Not sure why you are complaining about.

I am not complaining. I actually met Gene in person. I was quite the Trekkie, although I never dressed in costume. I met every one of the original cast. Walter Koenig I had coffee with in a North Hollywood coffee shop on a lucky visit. I also read The Making of Star trek co-penned by Roddenberry. I never said any of it was fake. I was responding to the idea that Gene might have done some cool stuff with current technology.

Gene was into robots/androids and used them as a theme in several TOS episodes and TNG alike. But a nemesis like the Borg might not have been an idea of his. The holodeck and Q are magical with no basis in scientific fact, and therefore I think Gene would have rejected those ideas. Something "fun to watch" is not necessarily science fiction. Science will never lead to a holodeck as seen in Trek, nor will it ever lead to a Seven of Nine or a narcissistic emergency medical hologram. For the scientific minded among us, science fiction is a very specific thing. It has to be within solid theoretical or existing science.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I believe Gene Roddenberry was the Producer of Star Trek The Next Generation for its first two seasons and had creative control during them, to the point where he rewrote scripts with regularity.

As Q was introduced in the series premiere and the Borg in Season Two (Q Who), that would seem to suggest Roddenberry did do Q and the Borg. He also created Lore IIRC.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I believe Gene Roddenberry was the Producer of Star Trek The Next Generation for its first two seasons and had creative control during them, to the point where he rewrote scripts with regularity.

As Q was introduced in the series premiere and the Borg in Season Two (Q Who), that would seem to suggest Roddenberry did do Q and the Borg. He also created Lore IIRC.

Evidently, yes. :) Q was Roddenberry's idea, but the way he was portrayed on TNG was not all Gene. Trelaine was already done decades before. But the core of his power was still technological. The TNG version of Q was literally magical.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Evidently, yes. :) Q was Roddenberry's idea, but the way he was portrayed on TNG was not all Gene. Trelaine was already done decades before. But the core of his power was still technological. The TNG version of Q was literally magical.
You will be happy to know, that there won't be any pop music in the intro. Sneak peek. Orchestral music. Sounds like DS9 with voyager.

Though I loved the enterprise theme song. I bought the single even because it's quite an inspirational track.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You will be happy to know, that there won't be any pop music in the intro. Sneak peek. Orchestral music. Sounds like DS9 with voyager.

Though I loved the enterprise theme song. I bought the single even because it's quite an inspirational track.

THIS, my friend, is proper Star Trek music! Orchestral marches (a standard set by Star Trek the Movie). The original Star Trek, and most TV shows of the era when it came out, was done by a studio orchestra. This means all the background music, ambient music, and theme music.

NuTrek's theme seems unfinished and it does not convey Star Trek. And don't get me started on the background music or the choice of playing Beastie Boys in the movies in the reboot films. Ugh. And I loved the Enterprise theme AT THE END when the episode finished. Proper Star Trek music there and throughout the episodes. But that opening theme with vocals....nice song, but not Star Trek music.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
THIS, my friend, is proper Star Trek music! Orchestral marches (a standard set by Star Trek the Movie). The original Star Trek, and most TV shows of the era when it came out, was done by a studio orchestra. This means all the background music, ambient music, and theme music.

NuTrek's theme seems unfinished and it does not convey Star Trek. And don't get me started on the background music or the choice of playing Beastie Boys in the movies in the reboot films. Ugh. And I loved the Enterprise theme AT THE END when the episode finished. Proper Star Trek music there and throughout the episodes. But that opening theme with vocals....nice song, but not Star Trek music.
Fun fact about Where my Heart will Take Me, it was actually used as the theme music when the NASA spacecraft New Horizons landed.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
uikmcomipvrxmv50hzo4.jpg

A leaked photo that looks to be from the set of Star Trek: Discovery has given us our first peek at the new Klingons. And, yeah, there are some things we need to discuss.

A Toronto-based extra briefly posted a photo on Facebook and Instagram of his "Klingon Crew" chilling on the set of the new series. While the now-deleted photo isn't official or confirmed, the costumes the Klingon actors are wearing do match the ones shown in the

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/t...t-look-at-the-klingons-instar-trek-discovery/

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not good. Those "Klingons" look like lizard people.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

They look like a cross between Narn from Babylon5 and a hedgehog. WHY did they change the Klingons? If you do a show in the Star Trek canon timeline, then these Klingons should not look like this. So, the totally incongruous ship design, along with these new Klingons tells me that this thing is doing it's own re-imagining of Star Trek, which means that this will not get much positive attention from those who like Star Trek. The NuTrek fans don't really care and they might like it. This is already a dealbreaker for me. I will not pay a single penny to watch this.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
More:

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/12/b...-no-longer-involved-with-star-trek-discovery/

Excerpt:

Interestingly, Newsweek also has Fuller explaining that, even though he will be billed as an executive producer, his work for Star Trek: Discovery is done. He did write the first two episodes and help conceive the show's direction, but he's not giving them any more guidance.

"I'm not involved in production, or postproduction, so I can only give them the material I've given them and hope that it is helpful for them," said Fuller. "I'm curious to see what they do with it."

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
In other words they no longer have someone with Classic Trek pedigree there to keep things relatively sane.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What's next, will this be the new Romulans? :moody:

images.jpg

Why don't they get that you can't just change iconic things in a franchise like Star Trek? How would Star Wars fans take to hairless Wookies?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
In other words they no longer have someone with Classic Trek pedigree there to keep things relatively sane.

I said in the beginning that they only grabbed him because of his name recognition. Kurtzman is still in charge of this as he has always been. He never got Star Trek, and he still does not get it. These "Klingons" should never have been approved. Something tells me they are going to be totally unprepared for the royal dumping they are going to get when this thing comes out. Trekkies will destroy it in social media.

Axanar is going to happen. It is real Star Trek.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Lest we forget per the settlement it will be a pretty downscaled Axanar.

And I concur on Kurtzman. He, Orci and Lindelof more than anyone else directly created the "JJ-Verse" mess with the abomination known as Star Trek Into Darkness. Abrams even publicly apologized for the mess later. It forced Lin and Pegg to have to act like Into Darkness was never made when they scripted Star Trek Beyond in order to get a decent film made.

Kurtzman and Lindelof are both on my "automatic no" list when I look at films.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They look like a cross between Narn from Babylon5 and a hedgehog. WHY did they change the Klingons? If you do a show in the Star Trek canon timeline, then these Klingons should not look like this. So, the totally incongruous ship design, along with these new Klingons tells me that this thing is doing it's own re-imagining of Star Trek, which means that this will not get much positive attention from those who like Star Trek. The NuTrek fans don't really care and they might like it. This is already a dealbreaker for me. I will not pay a single penny to watch this.
I will point out one thing though, they don't have their wig on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This was interesting, and I totally agree with this guy.

WARNING: contains profanity. NSFW