• No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
As you know I have a more nuanced view of the reboot films, namely that Star Trek 2009 wasn't bad for an origin story. Star Trek Into Darkness is quite possibly the worst piece of cinematic Star Trek ever and the main reason the reboot series as a whole can't seriously be called Trek. Star Trek Beyond is actually a pretty good film in its own right, and if considered independently of the other two could actually fit in the Trek universe.

Back to Star Trek Discovery. Trek fans like diversity but don't like it when Trek pushes that diversity in their faces by pushing diversity "buttons" to show they did it - almost like they want a pat on the head for being diverse. The diversity needs to just be part of the setting and subordinate to the story.

Of course, if they really get a high quality actress like Michelle Yeoh I am happy already!

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I was optimistic about the reboot films but then they became a huge letdown.

View attachment 33254
Yeah and well I could say the same thing about the TNG movies too. They weren't good at all. There are a few bad TOS movies that were also bad. Like I said, Star Trek does not work as a movie and never has. It is too big to fit in a 2 hour movie. I was quite prejudice for star trek enterprise when I saw the first impression, but when I watched it, I actually ended up liking it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah and well I could say the same thing about the TNG movies too. They weren't good at all. There are a few bad TOS movies that were also bad. Like I said, Star Trek does not work as a movie and never has. It is too big to fit in a 2 hour movie. I was quite prejudice for star trek enterprise when I saw the first impression, but when I watched it, I actually ended up liking it.

Yep, that happened for me too. :) I completely rejected it when it was aired because they trampled on canon (and science) by introducing the Xindi and the Suliban, and they ignore the tech tree. It was not until the AWFUL (in my opinion) 2009 reboot came out that I came to appreciate Enterprise. At least it is still Star Trek. I know a few of you here like the new Kelvin timeline, but I just don't. I can't warm up to it because it is not science fiction and almost makes a mockery of the original Star Trek.

The TNG movies were all sort of off, except First Contact which I love. But the TOS movies were mostly all good except Final Frontier, again my opinion. But the 2009 movies are not Star Trek and also they are not science fiction and that makes them far different and unacceptable to me.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hi OM!

Saying that one of more of the Kelvin timeline films are not bad films doesn't really equate to liking the timeline.

I do not like the timeline while also saying that 2009 was a decent origin film and Beyond is actually pretty good. It is Star Trek Into Darkness that ruined the timeline beyond repair. 2009 had a couple of somewhat iffy elements like Red Matter (as it turns out - to my surprise - TOS actually had beaming from a starship to a planet light years away in The Gamesters of Triskelion). Into Darkness was not only a REALLY bad movie but introduced the USS Vengeance, Khan's magic blood, Blingons, British Khan and so on and so on. Star Trek Beyond consciously ignored Into Darkness and basically acted like it was never made - thankfully.

One of the great Trek "what ifs" - what if instead of Abrams, Kurtzman and Orci they had tapped Lin and Pegg from the start (with the 2009 film)? I suspect we would have gotten a "Kelvin-Verse" much more closely compatible with the Prime universe.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Big developments in terms of cast for Star Trek Discovery

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Cast is one thing - will they make sure it is well written?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Cast is one thing - will they make sure it is well written?

How can they? The judges themselves do not know good writing when they see it. Kurtzman is going to greenlight what makes sense to HIM. That is not a good thing.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
How can they? The judges themselves do not know good writing when they see it. Kurtzman is going to greenlight what makes sense to HIM. That is not a good thing.

Delayed again most likely as another person joins Star Trek...

New 'Star Trek' delayed again? Either way, James Frain
On Wednesday, CBS Television Studios and CBS All Access weren't conceding to a further delay. But they seemed to claim wiggle room by stating, "We will be flexible on a launch date if it's best for the show."

Production starts next week, they said.

They also said James Frain has been added to the cast. Frain ("Gotham" and "Orphan Black") will play Sarek, father of Spock

http://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment...-again-either-way-james-frain-joins-1.3246588

Confirmed delayed

If you were banking on watching Star Trek: Discovery in May... well, we hope you have some contingency plans. CBS has confirmed to Hollywood Reporter that it's once again delaying the streaming-focused show, this time for an indefinite stretch. Production on the series is all set to start in late January, but the team says it wants to be "flexible" on timing to ensure the production is a success. "It's more important to do this right than to do it fast," the company says, adding that the internet saves it from having to meet a fixed TV season deadline.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/18/star-trek-discovery-delayed-again/

Last edited by a moderator:

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Let's see the end product. They know this is trek and there is a lot of pressure on them to perform, but I am confident that the series will be great. It is star trek after all.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let's see the end product. They know this is trek and there is a lot of pressure on them to perform, but I am confident that the series will be great. It is star trek after all.

I hope so. :) If, like the 2009 movie + into darkness + Beyond, it is STINO (Star Trek in name only), I will be disappointed. I think it will be a good show, but won't be Star Trek. :(

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
why new uniforms? i think everything which has come before has pretty well established the uniform timeline

<<wait-this is still set in TOS 'universe' right?>>>

and there shouldn't be any new aliens that haven't already been presented by the time of VOYAGER.

that is, don't into new alien species that are never seen nor mention in all of the shows and movies which have come before

ENTERPRISE did this with species like the Suliban and the Xindi--never heard of again (that is before in our real time)!

keep the big effects and the FACE OFF winners unemployed at coming up with new stuff--focus on story

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
why new uniforms? i think everything which has come before has pretty well established the uniform timeline

and there shouldn't be any new aliens that haven't already been presented by the time of VOYAGER.

that is, don't into new alien species that are never seen nor mention in all of the shows and movies which have come before

ENTERPRISE did this with species like the Suliban and the Xindi--never heard of again (that is before in our real time)!

keep the big effects and the FACE OFF winners unemployed at coming up with new stuff--focus on story
THIS.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

We still don't know after Brian Left. Let's wait and see...

I know people like star wars a lot and think that it's better than star trek, but if I view it objectively, Star Trek has had a far bigger impact to the world, than star wars ever has.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I know people like star wars a lot and think that it's better than star trek, but if I view it objectively, Star Trek has had a far bigger impact to the world, than star wars ever has.

Most everyone hates math, except those who understand it. ;) I have found that things that are unfamiliar or complex sometimes turns them off. I felt intimidated by those Star Wars fans who used to know every nook and cranny of the EU and would be talking about places and characters I never heard of (lots of Star Wars fans in IT, but more Star Trek fans from what I have seen). I was glad when they eliminated it. Maybe that is why the Star Trek of now is dumbed down and less people feel intimidated?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Most everyone hates math, except those who understand it. ;) I have found that things that are unfamiliar or complex sometimes turns them off. I felt intimidated by those Star Wars fans who used to know every nook and cranny of the EU and would be talking about places and characters I never heard of (lots of Star Wars fans in IT, but more Star Trek fans from what I have seen). I was glad when they eliminated it. Maybe that is why the Star Trek of now is dumbed down and less people feel intimidated?

who said anything about SW's ? :)

you Trek fanbois--always looking to start a gunfight where they are not even shadows..... :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
who said anything about SW's ? :)

you Trek fanbois--always looking to start a gunfight where they are not even shadows..... :)
Sorry I am guilty of light trolling there, but seriously speaking, can't deny how amazing star trek really is. I love the show a lot because it's Gene Roddenberry's vision. I love an optimistic star trek. I hate the serious/melodramatic dark crap.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:) :) :beckett_new049:

one just wonders what Roddenberry could have down with his stories and today's SFX?

He would have done Star Trek! He would have scoffed at Enterprise, all the reboot films and possibly DS9. He would never have done the Q or the holodeck or the Prophets, he would not have done Seven of Nine or the Doctor, but he would probably have done Data. All speculation, but these are things based upon where he was trying to go with Trek (by my understandings about him).

I think we would have seen the saucer separation with the original TOS Enterprise, and that First Contact would have been a mere episode and not a movie. He would have kept the Klingons and Romulans as enemies. His mind was from the 1950s.