• Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Why would they be? Nobody currently working on this thing are old Trek fans. They want new and dramatic, and they do not care about canon or what Trek is about. I am going to watch this thing going in assuming it will be utter crap. If they surprise me, then good. But I really don't think they will. It will be lacking in all the important areas, and force me to start an all new hate thread for it. :popcorn:
If you have the mindset that it is going to be crap, then for you it is going to be crap. Why do you make prejudgement before this thing is even made? Netflix wouldn't be dumb enough to buy star trek from CBS if it was going to be crap.

Netflix Sale Funds Star Trek: Discovery

According to CBS Corporation’s Les Moonves, Netflix has paid for the entire production budget of Star Trek: Discovery. Netflix will be airing the series outside of the U.S. and Canada.

Netflix just took it off the table for the rest of the world,” said Moonves. “Basically, Star Trek is going on CBS All Access for free.”

http://www.trektoday.com/content/2016/12/netflix-sale-funds-star-trek-discovery/

heisenberg

Earl Grey
would that be shakey cam at warp speed ? :calm:

now that would be a cool effect!
New cast just got announced
‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Casts Klingons Chris Obi, Shazad Latif, Mary Chieffo
Chris Obi, Shazad Latif, and Mary Chieffo have joined the upcoming CBS All Access series, with all three set to play Klingons — members of the fan-favorite alien race that is fundamental to “Star Trek” lore. Obi will play T’Kuvma, a Klingon leader seeking to unite the Klingon houses. Latif will play Kol, commanding officer of the Klingons and protégé of T’Kuvma. Chieffo will play L’Rell, the battle deck commander of the Klingon ship.

https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-klingons-1201939934/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
"According to CBS Corporation’s Les Moonves, Netflix has paid for the entire production budget of Star Trek: Discovery"

Then why should American netflix subscribers have to pay CBS to watch it? I want that portion of my monthly NF fee that funded DISCOVERY to be refunded to me so I can pay CBS then... :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
New cast just got announced
‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Casts Klingons Chris Obi, Shazad Latif, Mary Chieffo

https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/star-trek-discovery-klingons-1201939934/

they cannot ignore those Klingon leaders already in canon for this period of time

also, they are going to have to address the two physical appearances of Klingons to match canon for this time period to address the results of the augment virus

i for one, would love to see a warship crewed by the two diff types of klingons-add some variety and meld TOS with current canon in one screenshot

heisenberg

Earl Grey
"According to CBS Corporation’s Les Moonves, Netflix has paid for the entire production budget of Star Trek: Discovery"

Then why should American netflix subscribers have to pay CBS to watch it? I want that portion of my monthly NF fee that funded DISCOVERY to be refunded to me so I can pay CBS then... :)
Well, you can't get CBS all access overseas, that's why!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Well, you can't get CBS all access overseas, that's why!
but you could if CBS wanted it to be so

and, isn't it a bit of a "double tap" on subscriber's pockets to have us pay for NF and then want us to pay for a new service?

and just how dumb is Moonvess getting (other then his cronyism of years past by getting his wife choice gigs in primetime on CBS)?! Letting everyone know that NF is funding the whole shebang is a good way to get American NF subscribers fired up. I am sure someone at NF is at least slightly irritated at the man.

but yeah-- i will probably pay to watch it and unsubscribe once its done for a season, then pop back IF it gets a second season.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
but you could if CBS wanted it to be so

and, isn't it a bit of a "double tap" on subscriber's pockets to have us pay for NF and then want us to pay for a new service?

and just how dumb is Moonvess getting (other then his cronyism of years past by getting his wife choice gigs in primetime on CBS)?! Letting everyone know that NF is funding the whole shebang is a good way to get American NF subscribers fired up. I am sure someone at NF is at least slightly irritated at the man.

but yeah-- i will probably pay to watch it and unsubscribe once its done for a season, then pop back IF it gets a second season.
Not yet. At this stage, there is not a large audience for CBS all access. CBS is taking a very popular franchise to test pilot their new platform which they feel is a reasonable risk to take to trial online. Please also remember that the internet is the future. It is just going to get more and more competitive now with more online platforms coming out and there is going to be a lot of casualities.
CBS won't bring it overseas, because it would meltdown their entire network. They simply don't have the means or the infrastructure to provide it for overseas audience. It makes sense to sell the licence to someone with the infrastructure such as netflix to meet the growing demands. Both Economic and from a logistics standpoint of view. Besides, CBS All access is only 2 years old. Netflix started in 1997 and it took 20 years for it to get where it is right now, so try and gain some realistic perpesctive here.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so try and gain some realistic perpesctive here.

NF has nearly 200 original shows and movies either of their own or in co-op with networks (BBC, AMC, AE, etc) available that do quite well

I would think that NF ALONE would be enough to make ST DISCOVERY a well watched show

CBS seems to just be pinning all its hopes on one thing-the name and legend of Trek

so yea-NF is the powerhorse here

just have a slight problem with the subscribers to NF seemingly (according to Moonbeam) financing the show for CBS' profit

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
NF has nearly 200 original shows and movies either of their own or in co-op with networks (BBC, AMC, AE, etc) available that do quite well

I would think that NF ALONE would be enough to make ST DISCOVERY a well watched show

CBS seems to just be pinning all its hopes on one thing-the name and legend of Trek

just have a slight problem with the subscribers to NF seemingly (according to Moonbeam) financing the show for CBS' profit

Now that is the ticket. Since it will be on Netflix, that $8.99 will be worth it again. I stopped my subscription in November of last year and have had no interest in reviving it until Sense8 came back. But it may not come back, or it may. This new Trek thrown in with all the rest of what Netflix has would be worth it to me.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Again, CBS all acess is only 2 years old. Netflix took 20 years to get where they are.
They is no way they are going to have the finance to have 200 original shows. This is a relatively new platform. Give it time.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Now that is the ticket. Since it will be on Netflix, that $8.99 will be worth it again. I stopped my subscription in November of last year and have had no interest in reviving it until Sense8 came back. But it may not come back, or it may. This new Trek thrown in with all the rest of what Netflix has would be worth it to me.

Well, the main cast just got announced and it's bad news. One of the actors from the wanking dead.

Finally, 'Star Trek: Discovery' gets its main character
The most important casting of the upcoming "Star Trek: Discovery" has been revealed. According to Entertainment Weekly, the star of the long-awaited return to Starfleet will be Sonequa Martin-Green, aka Sasha on AMC's "The Walking Dead. (Disclosure: CBS is CNET's parent company.)

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-martin-green-the-walking-dead-sasha/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, the main cast just got announced and it's bad news. One of the actors from the wanking dead.

Finally, 'Star Trek: Discovery' gets its main character

https://www.cnet.com/news/star-trek-discovery-sonequa-martin-green-the-walking-dead-sasha/

This does not surprise me. You said I should give it a chance, but I am the type of person who tries to predict best I can beforehand what I will get. I was wrong on Trump (evidently), but mostly I get it right. The ingredients of this show do not spell out Star Trek at all. They spell out mediocre cookie cutter soap opera set in space, like SGU. I already know the music and clothing will be all wrong. They are doing Klingons which will likely not look like the Klingons we all aready know. Somebody on the creative team will decide that the fans wouldn't notice or care if we change the Klingons. And the awful ship. And a female captain who is NOT the star of the show means that the Bridge will play a lesser part of the stories than it should.

Why, after reading all what is out there and seeing the ship design and knowing who the showrunners are, should I be clueless about what sort of show this will probably be? Im not. I expect exactly what the ingredients tell me to expect. I do not expect sophistication, science, exploration or cerebral writing because the ingredients are not there. How can you make an apple pie with oranges?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They is no way they are going to have the finance to have 200 original shows

who NF or CBS? If cbs, I don't care, I would wish for everything (perfect world wish here !) to be on NF or amazon!!

If you mean NF sdoesn't hve the means to do 200 shows of their own/ co-ops,well, NF will have released/will be releasing over 120 shows/movies just in 2016. ST DISCOVERY would have made a nice addition to the line up-especially since NF is lacking in the sci fi area:

"Netflix's first self-commissioned original content series House of Cards was released in 2013, and the company has dramatically grown its original content since that time. Netflix is releasing an estimated 126 original series or films in 2016, more than any other single American network or cable channel.[1] All programming, which is in English unless stated otherwise, is organized by their primary genre or format, and sorted by premiere date"

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This does not surprise me. You said I should give it a chance, but I am the type of person who tries to predict best I can beforehand what I will get. I was wrong on Trump (evidently), but mostly I get it right. The ingredients of this show do not spell out Star Trek at all. They spell out mediocre cookie cutter soap opera set in space, like SGU. I already know the music and clothing will be all wrong. They are doing Klingons which will likely not look like the Klingons we all aready know. Somebody on the creative team will decide that the fans wouldn't notice or care if we change the Klingons. And the awful ship. And a female captain who is NOT the star of the show means that the Bridge will play a lesser part of the stories than it should.

Why, after reading all what is out there and seeing the ship design and knowing who the showrunners are, should I be clueless about what sort of show this will probably be? Im not. I expect exactly what the ingredients tell me to expect. I do not expect sophistication, science, exploration or cerebral writing because the ingredients are not there. How can you make an apple pie with oranges?
Because it's one Character. There are going to be other characters in star trek. It is also because it's star trek and star trek IMO is by far the greatest franchise to have ever been created. I maybe bias because of how much of an influence it has had on my life, but the show according to Bryan fuller was that it was exactly what Gene Roddenberry wanted. A black women as captain.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Because it's one Character. There are going to be other characters in star trek. It is also because it's star trek and star trek IMO is by far the greatest franchise to have ever been created. I maybe bias because of how much of an influence it has had on my life, but the show according to Bryan fuller was that it was exactly what Gene Roddenberry wanted. A black women as captain.

This is what I have:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/star-trek-tv-series-info/

“There have been six series all from the captains’ perspective, and it felt like for this new iteration of Star Trek, we need to look at life on a Starfleet vessel from a new perspective,” said Fuller of the reason the series will focus on someone other than the ship’s captain. While we only know her character’s rank aboard the Discovery at this point, Fuller promised that we’d learn the character’s real name before the end of the season.

and this

The casting of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon actress Michelle Yeoh was first teased by consulting producer and writer Nicholas Meyer, who also wrote and directed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

“I know Michelle Yeoh is in it,” Meyer told ComingSoon.net. Yeoh will play Captain Georgiou, the leader of the Starship Shenzhou, another Starfleet vessel.

And there will be three new Klingon characters in the show. The teaser title snips boast "new ship", "new villians" and "new worlds", but is set in the pre-TOS era. How can this happen unless the TOS timeline is completely trashed or overwritten? Don't they mean OLD ship, FAMILIAR villians and UNMENTIONED worlds? If they create these new things that were never in later Trek series, aren't we talking about an alternate timeline or a rebooted one?

Isn't anybody a bit annoyed by this?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The overall trend on the show is a concern, but I'll always support casting Michelle Yeoh.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
A black women as captain.

got to update Gene

a black, female lesbian character who is struggling with transgenderism with an agenda for addressing the wrongs that starfleet perpetrates against people of color

:) :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This is what I have:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/star-trek-tv-series-info/

“There have been six series all from the captains’ perspective, and it felt like for this new iteration of Star Trek, we need to look at life on a Starfleet vessel from a new perspective,” said Fuller of the reason the series will focus on someone other than the ship’s captain. While we only know her character’s rank aboard the Discovery at this point, Fuller promised that we’d learn the character’s real name before the end of the season.

and this

The casting of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon actress Michelle Yeoh was first teased by consulting producer and writer Nicholas Meyer, who also wrote and directed Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

“I know Michelle Yeoh is in it,” Meyer told ComingSoon.net. Yeoh will play Captain Georgiou, the leader of the Starship Shenzhou, another Starfleet vessel.

And there will be three new Klingon characters in the show. The teaser title snips boast "new ship", "new villians" and "new worlds", but is set in the pre-TOS era. How can this happen unless the TOS timeline is completely trashed or overwritten? Don't they mean OLD ship, FAMILIAR villians and UNMENTIONED worlds? If they create these new things that were never in later Trek series, aren't we talking about an alternate timeline or a rebooted one?

Isn't anybody a bit annoyed by this?
There has been conflicting and confusing report articles about the show, which is why I am saying that you wait and see. The series still has not started filming yet either because they are still casting for it. I am always optimistic about star trek because that's what the show is about.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There has been conflicting and confusing report articles about the show, which is why I am saying that you wait and see. The series still has not started filming yet either because they are still casting for it. I am always optimistic about star trek because that's what the show is about.

I was optimistic about the reboot films but then they became a huge letdown.

star_trek_gatefans_jumpedtheshark.jpg