Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Bryan Fuller was BAIT and nothing else. There is no reason I can think of which might pull him away from the opportunity for doing Trek unless there were creative differences. Everything I have read about this new series stinks of arrogant Abrams-think. This is still a Kurtzman baby, and he gave us the awful 2009 reboot.

From the new Federation Bird of Prey design to the dumb music track to the "Fans do not know what they want", this thing stinks.
well. new is not always bad...let's hope they are old trek fans
He is still involved in the project it seems but just not full time. The show is still his visionary of star trek...well..that's according to the reports.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Bryan Fuller was BAIT and nothing else. There is no reason I can think of which might pull him away from the opportunity for doing Trek unless there were creative differences. Everything I have read about this new series stinks of arrogant Abrams-think. This is still a Kurtzman baby, and he gave us the awful 2009 reboot.

From the new Federation Bird of Prey design to the dumb music track to the "Fans do not know what they want", this thing stinks.
10 cent trailer lol ...love that one !!!

;) ;) ;)
turned off already - going to stick with Once Upon a Time!
Well, at least being 10 years before TOS rules out the "kelvin-verse"....

Really, if they wanted to go down a different road set it after TOS but make the point of view that of a Klingon head of a Klingon house - have the Federation appear occasionally and the focus of the show be the Klingons. Kind of reverse TNG.

Despite Current Glut of Successful Scifi Shows, CBS Executive Says New Star Trek Wouldn't Work on TV

CBS can eat a bag of dicks. Come on, guys. Literally every other channel is making a ton of money off science fiction shows right now. Except you. Blaming the genre is just sad.

Among CBS’ many, many questionable decisions in its approach to Star Trek, one of the weirdest has been putting the new series on a digital platform that requires fans to pay six dollars a month to watch a grand total of two original shows. And every CBS show ever made. (If you want that experience without commercials, it’ll cost you 10 bucks.)

CBS Interactive CEO Jim Lanzone said that the choice wasn’t a blatant cash grab designed to take advantage of an existing and passionate fan base. No! It’s something CBS did to help the show. In addition to saying that the online show will get to swear and have nudity (ah, yes, that is vital to Star Trek), Lanzone also made a really confusing argument about science fiction. Here’s what he told the podcast Recode Media with Peter Kafka:

Another blithering idiot comparing a full blown fantasy show with Science Fiction. :facepalm:. Forget that, the fact is that he has not heard of star trek TNG which was very successful on TV. How do these executives get hired? Are they trying to kill this franchise for good?

http://io9.gizmodo.com/despite-current-glut-of-successful-scifi-shows-cbs-exe-1788962348

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Everything new I am hearing about the show is just dumb. Are they really thinking of swearing and using nudity in Star Trek? I mean, sure...the occasional topless green Orion slave girl dancer, but closed quarters love scenes with crew members? Nah, please don't! This show is gonna suck like a black hole.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
:biggrin: Didn't you know? They have decided to push the envelope so all scenes will have all cast members nude and every sentence spoken will have profanity in it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Everything new I am hearing about the show is just dumb. Are they really thinking of swearing and using nudity in Star Trek? I mean, sure...the occasional topless green Orion slave girl dancer, but closed quarters love scenes with crew members? Nah, please don't! This show is gonna suck like a black hole.
Yeah, I don't want this either but they love to throw the argument of oh it's a more 'mature' star trek... Riiight :rolleyes:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:biggrin: Didn't you know? They have decided to push the envelope so all scenes will have all cast members nude and every sentence spoken will have profanity in it.

Not to mention the possibilities of nude ALIEN bodies showing alien genitalia and multiple boobs (beyond 2)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
An actually known actress cast to play "a" CPT in the show

but not the CPT of DISCOVERY

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/2...h?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

seems like this show still has a long way to go to get its sh$t together :(
I don't care if it's a male or female lead. What I want is good story telling. I am watching Beyond right now, and although there are some funny moments, which I don't mind, but it doesn't feel like Star Trek.

This is what I call Star Trek

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I met a fella who is part of the crew building the set of Star Trek Discovery . He of course knows it by another name lol . He said the sets are pretty dam cool but he is not a huge Trek fan so it is all knew to him .
I did not pry too much as I do not want him to get in trouble .

It's pretty cool sometimes living in Hollywood North . I see huge shoot's almost once a week in our fine city were a block or 2 are sectioned off by pylons and vehicles . Just 5 mins from my house heading east they built an entire Police Station for some show or movie and one night I saw at least 20 movie cop cars sitting out front of the set with all there lights on . The building used to be a GM car dealership and has been closed for 10 years or more waiting for development to move in.

;) ;) ;)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I met a fella who is part of the crew building the set of Star Trek Discovery . He of course knows it by another name lol . He said the sets are pretty dam cool but he is not a huge Trek fan so it is all knew to him .
I did not pry too much as I do not want him to get in trouble .

It's pretty cool sometimes living in Hollywood North . I see huge shoot's almost once a week in our fine city were a block or 2 are sectioned off by pylons and vehicles . Just 5 mins from my house heading east they built an entire Police Station for some show or movie and one night I saw at least 20 movie cop cars sitting out front of the set with all there lights on . The building used to be a GM car dealership and has been closed for 10 years or more waiting for development to move in.

;) ;) ;)

That is so cool! You are getting the last of the location shoot projects. I am on assignment at a client in downtown LA and they are in the warehouse district where lots of studios film post apocalyptic scenes and city scenes. But from what I can see, the insides of some of these warehouses are just full of GIANT green screens and blue screens. I saw one where there was lots of rigging with those screens, and they had a car strung up on rigging and people were hooked to rigging too.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't care if it's a male or female lead. What I want is good story telling.

I totally agree with you!!!

I guess what I thought when I posted this was that I find it interestingly strange that they make a big PR announcement on the casting of a supporting cast member. Someone who is not even a member of the DISCOVERY crew!

They haven't even come close to saying who their primary actors may be yet--it is like they are trying to drop a well known, though minor celebrity, name to draw attn.

Would be like promoting the band that opens an all day concert and plays at 12 noon instead of announcing who the main stage headliners will be at night.

imo, just more info on how chaotic this production appears to be

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I totally agree with you!!!

I guess what I thought when I posted this was that I find it interestingly strange that they make a big PR announcement on the casting of a supporting cast member. Someone who is not even a member of the DISCOVERY crew!

They haven't even come close to saying who their primary actors may be yet--it is like they are trying to drop a well known, though minor celebrity, name to draw attn.

Would be like promoting the band that opens an all day concert and plays at 12 noon instead of announcing who the main stage headliners will be at night.

imo, just more info on how chaotic this production appears to be

That was why Bryan Fuller, then no Bryan Fuller. Knowing what I know of Bryan Fuller, he would not just walk away from a real opportunity to revive Star Trek for the small screen. My take is that they just dropped his name to give the pre-production some cred and whet appetites. This is and has always been a Kurtzman gig, and he is the reason for the AWFUL (in my opinion) reboot movie and the new unTrek universe that came with it. The few quotes comments from the showrunners tell us that this is going to be some show with the Star Trek name slapped on it but won't be Star Trek. What are they thinking? I can guess....

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I see where Fuller stepped back (October). Not a good sign as he was a big reason the show had any Prime universe cred in the first place.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
That was why Bryan Fuller, then no Bryan Fuller. Knowing what I know of Bryan Fuller, he would not just walk away from a real opportunity to revive Star Trek for the small screen. My take is that they just dropped his name to give the pre-production some cred and whet appetites. This is and has always been a Kurtzman gig, and he is the reason for the AWFUL (in my opinion) reboot movie and the new unTrek universe that came with it. The few quotes comments from the showrunners tell us that this is going to be some show with the Star Trek name slapped on it but won't be Star Trek. What are they thinking? I can guess....
Why are you so pesismistic OM1? Let's see how it is before we can start complaining. ;). The movies weren't that bad but then again, star trek movies have not been great anyway. They are better as an episodic tv show. Let's admit to that.
Oh yeah and now Bryan is completely out.Must have been pretty nasty meeting to have him leave. Jesus or CBS must have attempted to go with their bullying tactics. This would explain the so called "delay" of course we won't know the whole truth from Fuller himself after many years have passed when a great series like star trek has been dead and burried. Sigh....

Anyone want to brave and ask Fuller himself?

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller

Okay we now have a reason to complain and be pesismistic. One good bit of good news however, is that the show is coming on netflix for those interested across 188 countries.

Star Trek: Discovery
is coming to CBS All Access in May 2017, following the premiere on the CBS Television Network, and will be distributed concurrently on Netflix in 188 countries and through Bell Media in Canada.

---
http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-beams-up-three-cast-members

Interestingly, Newsweek also has Fuller explaining that, even though he will be billed as an executive producer, his work for Star Trek: Discovery is done. He did write the first two episodes and help conceive the show's direction, but he's not giving them any more guidance.

"I'm not involved in production, or postproduction, so I can only give them the material I've given them and hope that it is helpful for them," said Fuller. "I'm curious to see what they do with it."

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/12/b...-no-longer-involved-with-star-trek-discovery/

I don't know but the creative artwork of dark matter has me interested in this show now. Not sure if I should give it a shot.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/tag/dark-matter/

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I see where Fuller stepped back (October). Not a good sign as he was a big reason the show had any Prime universe cred in the first place.

He apparently gave the script and his vision of star trek to CBS. What they do with it, is up to them. My guess is that they are going to try to compete with sense 8(:rolleyes:), Defiance, BSG, Lame of Thrones. Plenty of un-necessary adult themes, with that melodramatic background tension music and shakey cams....

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why are you so pesismistic OM1? Let's see how it is before we can start complaining. ;). The movies weren't that bad but then again, star trek movies have not been great anyway. They are better as an episodic tv show. Let's admit to that.
Oh yeah and now Bryan is completely out.Must have been pretty nasty meeting to have him leave. Jesus or CBS must have attempted to go with their bullying tactics. This would explain the so called "delay" of course we won't know the whole truth from Fuller himself after many years have passed when a great series like star trek has been dead and burried. Sigh....

Anyone want to brave and ask Fuller himself?

https://twitter.com/BryanFuller

Okay we now have a reason to complain and be pesismistic. One good bit of good news however, is that the show is coming on netflix for those interested across 188 countries.

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-beams-up-three-cast-members

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/12/b...-no-longer-involved-with-star-trek-discovery/

I don't know but the creative artwork of dark matter has me interested in this show now. Not sure if I should give it a shot.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/tag/dark-matter/

That is a great attitude, and I will give it a try. As far as Dark Matter, YES!!! It's excellent. You will love it if you start watching. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He apparently gave the script and his vision of star trek to CBS. What they do with it, is up to them. My guess is that they are going to try to compete with sense 8(:rolleyes:), Defiance, BSG, Lame of Thrones. Plenty of un-necessary adult themes, with that melodramatic background tension music and shakey cams....

My guess is that Kurtzman who is the actual showrunner did not like the actual Trek that Fuller was bringing to the new show. Remember, Kurtzman gave us the rebooted 2009 film and the "Abrams-verse" universe it is taking place in (not at all good IMO). Fuller would not have been okay with that.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
My guess is that Kurtzman who is the actual showrunner did not like the actual Trek that Fuller was bringing to the new show. Remember, Kurtzman gave us the rebooted 2009 film and the "Abrams-verse" universe it is taking place in (not at all good IMO). Fuller would not have been okay with that.
Byan Fuller, who stepped down as Star Trek: Discovery showrunner in October, recently discussed his departure along with a short description of the new series.

“I couldn’t do what needed to be done in the time that they needed it done,” Fuller told the Radio Times in a recent interview. “And I felt like there was so much responsibility happening with American Gods, that it seemed like the cleanest approach to the problem.”

He went on to describe the show, which launches on CBS and on CBS All Access in May, in three words.

“I think what we were doing with Star Trek was… I’d say, ‘Understand Each Other,'” Fuller said. “I’m very curious to see how it unfolds.”

He went on to discuss the possibility of rejoining Discovery in the future, saying “If they need me, they have my number and they can call me,”.

We still have the son of Gene Roddenberry who is still going to be executive producer of the show. It's not all doom and gloom.

http://www.treknews.net/2016/12/10/star-trek-discovery-bryan-fuller-describes-series/