Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I think they are hoping that Trek pays for the service (they are wrong). The UPN (United/Paramount Network was launched basically thanks to Star Trek TNG. I think CBS is trying to draw on that data, but they don't really have the product. That ship alone is hard to look at. I felt that way about Enterprise 1701-D but the writing overcame that for me. This one MIGHT be able to pull it off, but I am not going to subscribe to find out.
It will be on netflix too.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
more on the design and plot

hints of section 31 involvment

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-ship-design/
First episode director.

David Semel, one of Hollywood's most-prolific directors, has been tapped to direct the first episode of Star Trek: Discovery, it has been confirmed. Semel is adept at both first episodes/pilots and sci-fi/fantasy. His pilots include those for Madam Secretary, Code Black, Person of Interest, Intelligence, Legends, American Dreams, Heroes and No Ordinary Family, as well as The Man in the High Castle and the upcoming shows Pure Genius and Goliath. And among his genre credits are at least one episode each of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Roswell, Angel and My Own Worst Enemy.

http://www.startrek.com/article/discovery-first-episode-director-announced

No experience in Directing a science fiction show..

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Well, we know it has to be before Voyager comes home, so....

The rest of the timeline has been nicely filled in. You could use a different locale in the timeline of DS9 or Voyager. But the number of this ship already puts it in the timeline after Archer and before Kirk...about where Axanar is.
Regarding timeline...this guy gives a good analysis.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Yep, loved DS9 and still love it. :) It was still 100% Star Trek. SGU was not Stargate on any level.

Oh agreed. I always called DS9 "Trek Noir" - the dark side of trek, politics, spy vs spy, interplanetary squabbles that lasted more than an episode, etc... I found it more enjoyable than TNG (too formulaic) although - I admit hubby has been re-watching TNG over the past year and there are episodes I enjoyed more than I expected to. Rascals and Out of Phase still are excellent eps.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
does the discovery class of ships have anything to do with THE DISCOVERY?

speculation I know

but the time seems to match and the basic line drawing on this site has some similarities-in profile-to THE discovery

i am still intrigued by the possibility of section 31 and romulan-earth war

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Discovery_class

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the ship in this show and its potential relationship to the already established discovery class of ships

Never seen that site before...it says it's a non-canon wikia.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
idk, the dude in the interview said the nature of the show lies in the name of the show.

just wondering if he means the basic definition of the word, or if it lies in the history of the name within star trek (as with the enterprise and its pedigree going back to sailing ships)

there is a IDSCOVERY at mem alpha the canon site, but it is just mentioned not shown-a 24th century vessel

and the shuttlecraft discovery is also mentioned

as far as non canon from the beta site

well, we know how writers these days like to be so "collaborative"--look at all the non canon stuff from SW's entering into canon through the movies and REBELS

not saying the ST writers would do this, but of course, given all that info in the BETA site (non canon),why struggle coming up with new ideas for trek, when they have a couple series' worth of info just lying online!

i would not put it past them

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Looks like there is going to be a female lead.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...hunt-for-a-female-leader-20160811-gqq00h.html

Fuller revealed to US media today the series will be set about a decade before the 1960s-era "Original Series" of Star Trek, which introduced the iconic characters of Captain Kirk, Mr Spock, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura and Chekov.

"We're going deep into something that was for me always very tantalising and to tell that story through a character who is on a journey that is going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy," he said.

"For her to truly understand something that is alien, she has to first understand herself."

Fuller revealed to US media today the series will be set about a decade before the 1960s-era "Original Series" of Star Trek, which introduced the iconic characters of Captain Kirk, Mr Spock, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura and Chekov.

"We're going deep into something that was for me always very tantalising and to tell that story through a character who is on a journey that is going to teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy," he said.

"For her to truly understand something that is alien, she has to first understand herself."

I am not having high hopes fellows for this one...................... Not because of the female lead, it just gives off a bad vibe for me personally. I hope I am wrong.