Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I am turned off by that damned ship. It's a dealbreaker, just on that ship alone. It's so damned ugly!

Anybody notice how the top of the saucer section on this new ship looks like a roulette wheel?
This was the TNG trailer done in 1987 and yes i noticed the roulette wheel too.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Very few people have given it a thumbs up which tells you that trek fans aren't impressed at all.

Update:

Check the comments lol hardly anyone is thrilled about the design. It's hideous even if it wasn't trek. It's shit and you can't polish this turd. I wished that they were way more creative though. Not a great start for something we were anticipating for 11 god damn years!
http://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/new-star-trek-discovery-show-launches-january-2017/

This guy put it well.

"Not sure I blame the complainers, though I'm looking forward to the show. That was some inexcusable 90's era cgi used to tease their new flagship production. Oh, and using a rightfully discarded late 70's design for the clearly retro starship was another misstep. Imagine how awesome a series set 20 -30 years after Picard would have been?"

They went through all that trouble to disable the fan episodes sites then do a piss-poor job with a teaser that looks like it was made on a Commodore Amiga 1000. Maybe they should reach out to the fan-made series sites for advice and help if they're trying to make something low-budget.

Bluce Ree

Yep, loved DS9 and still love it. :) It was still 100% Star Trek. SGU was not Stargate on any level.

DS9 was pure melodramatic dreck. There was nothing Star Trek about it except the ships, ranks and lingo. It sucked on more levels than I care to count. The entire show was about relationships, cheating, back-stabbing and angst. It was PURE soap. It was so soapy, in fact, that if you slow down the video you can see the soap suds floating about the space station.

We had entire episodes dedicated to O'Brien and Keiko dealing with having a baby, Sisco spending "quality time" with his son sailing a ship in space, Quark and Rom having ridiculous sibling fights, Kira sleeping with everyone ... really. DS9 was the SGU of Star Trek. When there was action it was usually to set up some kind of melodramatic bullshit.

familyguytrans3.jpg

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's not animated. I do have major issues with that ship though. It is not a Starfleet design. It is using the wrong colors, and the impulse engines in the back with the rocket looking things on the edges floated around online for a few years before (for Star Trek Phase II) and were not well received:

View attachment 33154

I can forgive this design ONLY if they get the show right.

so, i have just completed re-watching ENTERPRISE

with the design of this ship in discovery-two things-one related to ENTERPRISE
-with all of those other worlds in the Federation, many with ships far superior to the NX class- why would other member worlds give up their designs for a continuation-though improved- of the original NX design?

many of the other worlds ships were much more compact--like they didn't have Nacelles that stick out vulnerable and ready to break off like say a Bonobo's nutsack-like the Andorian warships for example

it appeared that the other, preNX ships were designed better, though not with the same warp capabilities

so, is it possible that the TPTB's of this show may have used the idea of incorporating more alien member tech into the design?

-other thing

in the other thread on this TV show- it was posted/linked to, that each season of this show may/probably have a diff crew and/or a diff ship--so, is this "the" ship or might it change from season to season?

there wasn't any info about any of that in this story

personally, i would like a diff crew and ship each season;would get more of the over all story told

---------------------------------

another note---

st tptb's know (or knew) that they can include certain dialogue in a show without backstory BECAUSE the show's audience is a certain type who will get most things without it being explained

like in ENT (again-because i just watched it so i refer to it :) ) with the Xindi when Phlox and Archer are discussing the 5 races and how they are diff but yet based in the same genome

Archer says 'like on EARTH with Neanderthals and modern humans' --nothing more needed to be said cause TPTB;s knew "we" would understand that science

but NOW we know that the viewership is ever dumbed down and we get dumbed down content -- SO, is it just possible that this shows TPTB's think they can just paste a saucer section onto any design and call it trek?

I am just holding out for a good storyline and acting told in the ORIGINAL trek-verse

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
And americans will be getting boned on this; the show will be carried by NETFLIX in most nations where NF is available BUT NOT in america!

you know, the nation that put NF on the map as a successful company

and the nation that made trek

well, before i get all 'murican' with sci fi...i just think it is a bad deal; pandering to the world to get overall viewership up, while us (non pirate) americans will have to pay for yet another service (cbs go or whatever) just to watch it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And americans will be getting boned on this; the show will be carried by NETFLIX in most nations where NF is available BUT NOT in america!

well, before i get all 'murican' with sci fi...i just think it is a bad deal; pandering to the world to get overall viewership up, while us (non pirate) americans will have to pay for yet another service (cbs go or whatever) just to watch it.

Pirate Ship-332232.gif

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Geeks invented the technology Netflix is using to block users, and they will be the ones who release the ways to circumvent it. That's the way it works.

Bluce Ree

so, i have just completed re-watching ENTERPRISE

with the design of this ship in discovery-two things-one related to ENTERPRISE
-with all of those other worlds in the Federation, many with ships far superior to the NX class- why would other member worlds give up their designs for a continuation-though improved- of the original NX design?

many of the other worlds ships were much more compact--like they didn't have Nacelles that stick out vulnerable and ready to break off like say a Bonobo's nutsack-like the Andorian warships for example

it appeared that the other, preNX ships were designed better, though not with the same warp capabilities

so, is it possible that the TPTB's of this show may have used the idea of incorporating more alien member tech into the design?

-other thing

in the other thread on this TV show- it was posted/linked to, that each season of this show may/probably have a diff crew and/or a diff ship--so, is this "the" ship or might it change from season to season?

there wasn't any info about any of that in this story

personally, i would like a diff crew and ship each season;would get more of the over all story told

---------------------------------

another note---

st tptb's know (or knew) that they can include certain dialogue in a show without backstory BECAUSE the show's audience is a certain type who will get most things without it being explained

like in ENT (again-because i just watched it so i refer to it :) ) with the Xindi when Phlox and Archer are discussing the 5 races and how they are diff but yet based in the same genome

Archer says 'like on EARTH with Neanderthals and modern humans' --nothing more needed to be said cause TPTB;s knew "we" would understand that science

but NOW we know that the viewership is ever dumbed down and we get dumbed down content -- SO, is it just possible that this shows TPTB's think they can just paste a saucer section onto any design and call it trek?

I am just holding out for a good storyline and acting told in the ORIGINAL trek-verse

Nope.

Bluce Ree

Not Netflix's fault. Blame content licensing deals. Without CBS licensing Netflix the series, there's no way they can legally show it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Geeks invented the technology Netflix is using to block users, and they will be the ones who release the ways to circumvent it. That's the way it works.

thats cool....

the other portion of my question

just WHY was it that the other members of the federation--esp those more advanced then humans, like Tellarites and Andorians, scrapped their ship designs and went with the human one instead?

is it explained in any ST "bible" or elsewhere?

I know that it is shown (briefly in DS9 for ex) that some fed ships of human design were crewed entirely by other races (like the vulcan crewed T'Kumbra)

from ENTERPRISE we know why the Vulcan once large and powerful fleet was mainly scrapped, but what of the Andorians who seemingly had no qualms with space exploration or military action

just a thought for discussion (can we have a discussion please? :) ) there is actually a lot of things Trek I would like to discuss and, imo, would make could Trek tv eps

:rolleye0014: :D

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
thats cool....

the other portion of my question

just WHY was it that the other members of the federation--esp those more advanced then humans, like Tellarites and Andorians, scrapped their ship designs and went with the human one instead?

is it explained in any ST "bible" or elsewhere?

I know that it is shown (briefly in DS9 for ex) that some fed ships of human design were crewed entirely by other races (like the vulcan crewed T'Kumbra)

from ENTERPRISE we know why the Vulcan once large and powerful fleet was mainly scrapped, but what of the Andorians who seemingly had no qualms with space exploration or military action

just a thought for discussion (can we have a discussion please? :) ) there is actually a lot of things Trek I would like to discuss and, imo, would make could Trek tv eps

:rolleye0014: :D

so..you don't want to talk about Trek? :(

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
other's thoughts on potential inspirations for the DISCOVERY's design:

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-trek-discovery-ship-concept-art/

interesting here, will it "stick"? >>>>>>one show runner answered that the design in the trailer IS NOT the final product-implying they just wanted to "throw together" something for comic con:
" When Trekmovie.com asked Kadin if the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery featured the final design of the ship, music, and logo, she laughed and said “NO! I was surprised Bryan didn’t say that, actually. I mean, we had three weeks to throw that together. We wanted to show fans…we’re super-excited by the score that this amazing composer, Fil Eisner, threw together as an audition and he did an incredible job. The concepts of the ship are totally what we’re going for and they’ll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver.”

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/24/exc...overy-producers-on-ships-design-shows-themes/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
$5.99/mo

is there anything on there though besides trek, worth the cost of belonging?

https://www.cbs.com/all-access/

I think they are hoping that Trek pays for the service (they are wrong). The UPN (United/Paramount Network was launched basically thanks to Star Trek TNG. I think CBS is trying to draw on that data, but they don't really have the product. That ship alone is hard to look at. I felt that way about Enterprise 1701-D but the writing overcame that for me. This one MIGHT be able to pull it off, but I am not going to subscribe to find out.

Bluce Ree

I think they are hoping that Trek pays for the service (they are wrong). The UPN (United/Paramount Network was launched basically thanks to Star Trek TNG. I think CBS is trying to draw on that data, but they don't really have the product. That ship alone is hard to look at. I felt that way about Enterprise 1701-D but the writing overcame that for me. This one MIGHT be able to pull it off, but I am not going to subscribe to find out.

It looks like a beat-up Klingon battle cruiser with a saucer-section installed.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
other's thoughts on potential inspirations for the DISCOVERY's design:

http://www.dailydot.com/parsec/star-trek-discovery-ship-concept-art/

interesting here, will it "stick"? >>>>>>one show runner answered that the design in the trailer IS NOT the final product-implying they just wanted to "throw together" something for comic con:
" When Trekmovie.com asked Kadin if the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery featured the final design of the ship, music, and logo, she laughed and said “NO! I was surprised Bryan didn’t say that, actually. I mean, we had three weeks to throw that together. We wanted to show fans…we’re super-excited by the score that this amazing composer, Fil Eisner, threw together as an audition and he did an incredible job. The concepts of the ship are totally what we’re going for and they’ll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver.”

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/24/exc...overy-producers-on-ships-design-shows-themes/
That's a PR disaster. Why would you give such a piss poor concept art for such an amazing series like Star Trek?