• No!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Who else could he be than Worf?

come on now!! i thought you were the trekkie?!

Dorn was supposed to play another ancestor of Worf just as he did in UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (was it?)

I thought Trek fanboiz would know this? :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Michael Dorn? Really? :rolleye0014: Who was he going to be in Discovery? The Vulcans are very long lived, but not necessarily the Klingons. Who else could he be than Worf? It would be pointless to have him in the show and not be Worf. Anyway, no need to fret since he turned it down.

They want CREDIBILITY within the Trek continuum. They want desperately to tie in with existing canon, but the thing is that they simply do not understand Trek. Not Kurtzman, or any of the people he is working with have a clue how to do Star Trek. Bryan Fuller was their chance, but they clashed because his guidance was taking Discovery down the path that leads to good Star Trek and Kurtzman was not wanting that or understanding it. Everything about Kurtzman is a turnoff to me. This is the guy who wrote for Xena and Hercules. And how did he get those b-list gigs? He married the daughter of Nick Counter who was the President of the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers from 1982 thru 2009. Pure nepotism. He is a scruffy hipster with some golden strings he can pull when needed.

There is just not much to get me excited about Discovery. Nothing I have seen or heard is really doing anything for me. I couldn't care less if it's delayed or not.

to me the incredulity does not come with Dorn playing another Worf ancestor but the inclusion of Mudd. Are they going to retcon stuff and say that Mudd was in stasis or something (until TOS time frame that is)?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
come on now!! i thought you were the trekkie?!

Dorn was supposed to play another ancestor of Worf just as he did in UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY (was it?)

I thought Trek fanboiz would know this? :)

He was Colonel Worf in Undiscovered Country. Worf's grandfather. And yeah, I am quite the Trekkie. :) Harder to explain is Tuvok as a human in Star Trek Generations. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
to me the incredulity does not come with Dorn playing another Worf ancestor but the inclusion of Mudd. Are they going to retcon stuff and say that Mudd was in stasis or something (until TOS time frame that is)?

They want Mudd because he is associated with tribbles and JJ Abrams and Kurtzman both LUUUURRRRVE them some tribbles! They think the fans will just salivate if we have Harry Mudd and perhaps some tribbles. I think they are just grasping and hoping, and meanwhile this thing is sitting out in the sun and starting to smell.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
He was Colonel Worf in Undiscovered Country. Worf's grandfather. And yeah, I am quite the Trekkie. :) Harder to explain is Tuvok as a human in Star Trek Generations. :)

Well that is what the article said-he was not going to be TNG Worf but another ancestor

btw-what is the life span of a klingon anyhow?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well that is what the article said-he was not going to be TNG Worf but another ancestor

btw-what is the life span of a klingon anyhow?

Unless I am mistaken, it is around the same for them as it is for humans in the 22-23-24th centuries (about 150 years).

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The more I hear the worse this sounds.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
They want Mudd because he is associated with tribbles and JJ Abrams and Kurtzman both LUUUURRRRVE them some tribbles! They think the fans will just salivate if we have Harry Mudd and perhaps some tribbles. I think they are just grasping and hoping, and meanwhile this thing is sitting out in the sun and starting to smell.

CBS/Paramount LOST money with the 3rd movie btw. It sold at a loss domestically which means that it failed at the box-office. At the moment there is a brake on the 4th movie, but you are right to say that it's missing the star trek pedigree.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=startrek.htm

I know they'll eventually shit out a 4th one because they'll gamble it given that the first 2 made a shit load of money for hollywood, but I am hoping that the movie fails. I am hoping that other writers join on board second season after this tanks. Let's admit it, TNG first season was god awful. I am admitting as a star trek fan, and I think the first season stinks in writing, character development and just overall bad script. The thing is though, most of the Trek writers have retired or have passed away. I am still optimistic about this show, but the lack of care and silence from CBS is pissing off the fans, whereas, disney was way more transparent with Star Wars.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
JJ verse + a universe and time slipping DISCOVERY = film 4

JJ and Les Moonves already have the scripts in the desks

heisenberg

Earl Grey
JJ verse + a universe and time slipping DISCOVERY = film 4

JJ and Les Moonves already have the scripts in the desks
I will say one thing and one thing you probably will find surprising...I consider star trek a bit of a fantasy but the fantasy is about the cultural aspects of star trek. You will not get a utopian human society, ever. We are born and attracted to conflict.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I will say one thing and one thing you probably will find surprising...I consider star trek a bit of a fantasy but the fantasy is about the cultural aspects of star trek. You will not get a utopian human society, ever. We are born and attracted to conflict.

yup, the only way to a 'star trek planet' is by one nation or a group of nations, forming a strong military, political and economic front that would conquer and crush all other nations. all in the name of 'world peace and unification'

that is the only way mankind can be made to live in anything coming close to a ST utopian society; one that would need to be maintained through the excessive use of force and govt monitoring of all.

thats why I asked a few yrs back; in Trek, what would happen if in the 24th century, lets say the entire continent of Africa no longer wants anything to do with the one world govt or the UFP or anything else? would they be forced back into submission by military might and then a follow up with psych re-education?

would they be sent to some asteroid mine work camp as punishment? TPTB on the Trek Earth surely could not afford to lose a substantial block of the planet's population and resources to secession. that would set a very bad example to other UFP members among other things

heisenberg

Earl Grey
yup, the only way to a 'star trek planet' is by one nation or a group of nations, forming a strong military, political and economic front that would conquer and crush all other nations. all in the name of 'world peace and unification'

that is the only way mankind can be made to live in anything coming close to a ST utopian society; one that would need to be maintained through the excessive use of force and govt monitoring of all.

thats why I asked a few yrs back; in Trek, what would happen if in the 24th century, lets say the entire continent of Africa no longer wants anything to do with the one world govt or the UFP or anything else? would they be forced back into submission by military might and then a follow up with psych re-education?

would they be sent to some asteroid mine work camp as punishment? TPTB on the Trek Earth surely could not afford to lose a substantial block of the planet's population and resources to secession. that would set a very bad example to other UFP members among other things
The more I live the more I get the feeling that we are all living in an endless simulation.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Oh and here is what Bryan Fuller has been up to...Dafuq is this crap? It looks weird, creepy and well, doesn't suit my preferred theme.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Here it is...
so you were right OM1. This is a clone of JJ Abrams' vision of Star Trek mix with Mass effect dafuq?

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Here it is...
so you were right OM1. This is a clone of JJ Abrams' vision of Star Trek mix with Mass effect dafuq?
@Overmind One - apparently there are 15 episodes of this. I am not sure where the fuck this fits into the timeline when it looks like a butchered version of the original timeline

http://www.thewrap.com/star-trek-discovery-expanded-15-episodes-gets-new-show/

but...

analysis...

http://www.thewrap.com/star-trek-discovery-trailer-terrible-thats-ok-commentary/

well, the vid is blocked here in the US by CBS

they are already trying to hide their smell....

though probably they think its great and do not want any gullible americans getting anything free...make us buy that subscription to see a trailer

from the freeze frame of the woman in the eva suit, even the suit looks like something from a video game--the EVA SUIT DOES NOT EVEN LOOK LIKE A TREK EVA SUIT

i think i'll "watch" this show vicariously

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
And their Klingons look like utter crap; like a fusion of Xindi reptilian and the Kromaggs from Sliders.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
well, the vid is blocked here in the US by CBS

they are already trying to hide their smell....

though probably they think its great and do not want any gullible americans getting anything free...make us buy that subscription to see a trailer

from the freeze frame of the woman in the eva suit, even the suit looks like something from a video game--the EVA SUIT DOES NOT EVEN LOOK LIKE A TREK EVA SUIT

i think i'll "watch" this show vicariously

alright, found it on US YT

seriously though CBS...it is the same damned video! Why block the Australian one from us when we can just see it on our own?

Anyhow

yeah- those are not Klingons! not even Klingons who have been burned or irradiated or anything! Still extending the benefit of doubt that they are indeed some servant race; a member of the Klingon Empire.

the uniforms they are wearing are not really that far off from the ones in ENTERPRISE; still blue and form fitting for women, with similar piping and trim colors

the ship they show, isn't that a class of ship from TOS/TNG - or at least similar?

Why do they not show the CPT of the DISCOVERY or the ship itself in the trailer?

and who is Sarek talking to "you have too much human"? Is it the lead character, Lt walkingdead?

i am pretty sure i will still not pay for it. maybe if they have like a free trial and all the eps are loaded; i'll watch it then decline to become a subscriber :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
oh, here is the US version (i guess? )

I don't know but this looks really bad. It's like the first season of TNG. Not a lot of positive responses. A bit too much like mass effect and less like star trek. They are already start the klingon wars when this is suppose to be set 10 years before TOS? dafuq? Such a cheesy presentation for such a class show.