Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The core cast:

http://trekmovie.com/2017/03/21/fir...y-taken-at-james-frains-birthday-celebration/

bday-480x358.jpg

Posted to Instagram by Chris Obi with caption “We are Star Trek family! Celebrating birthday of James Frain.”

This photo is now the first group shot of most of the main cast for Discovery. Going from left to right we can see Jason Isaacs (Captain Lorca of the U.S.S. Discovery), Michelle Yeoh (Captain Georgiou of the U.S.S. Shenzhou), Chris Obi (Klingon leader T’Kuvma), lead actor Sonequa Martin-Green (Lieutenant Commander Rainsford of the Discovery) and her husband Kenric, Doug Jones (Lieutenant Saru, Science Officer on the Discovery), James Frain (Sarek), and Shazad Latif (Kol, Klingon protege to T’Kuvma).

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The core cast:

http://trekmovie.com/2017/03/21/fir...y-taken-at-james-frains-birthday-celebration/

View attachment 33336
Posted to Instagram by Chris Obi with caption “We are Star Trek family! Celebrating birthday of James Frain.”

This photo is now the first group shot of most of the main cast for Discovery. Going from left to right we can see Jason Isaacs (Captain Lorca of the U.S.S. Discovery), Michelle Yeoh (Captain Georgiou of the U.S.S. Shenzhou), Chris Obi (Klingon leader T’Kuvma), lead actor Sonequa Martin-Green (Lieutenant Commander Rainsford of the Discovery) and her husband Kenric, Doug Jones (Lieutenant Saru, Science Officer on the Discovery), James Frain (Sarek), and Shazad Latif (Kol, Klingon protege to T’Kuvma).
https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/03/star-trek-discovery-set-photos/

http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/03/20/star-trek-discovery-negativity-is-it-justified/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Just wow. Without even clicking the video, the still shot for the video shows "Sarek" with cat-eye contacts? That means that the NuVulcans of Discovery are all going to be wearing contacts??? Why is anyone wondering why so many Star Trek fans already hate this thing before one second of the first episode (still not fimed yet) has even been pinched off and left in the public to see?

I do like the music a lot. It sounds like Star Trek.

The explanations and reveals in that first video just flattened the already leaking and half deflated balloon I might have had for this show. I really couldn't care less about it now after hearing all this crap. I will watch it on Kodi, and if I like it I will like it. If I don't, I won't.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually that is not the actor as Sarek. It is the actor (James Frain) as he appeared in The Cape (he was Chess).

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Just wow. Without even clicking the video, the still shot for the video shows "Sarek" with cat-eye contacts? That means that the NuVulcans of Discovery are all going to be wearing contacts??? Why is anyone wondering why so many Star Trek fans already hate this thing before one second of the first episode (still not fimed yet) has even been pinched off and left in the public to see?

I do like the music a lot. It sounds like Star Trek.

The explanations and reveals in that first video just flattened the already leaking and half deflated balloon I might have had for this show. I really couldn't care less about it now after hearing all this crap. I will watch it on Kodi, and if I like it I will like it. If I don't, I won't.
We do not know how they are going to look like. They have just been hired and it is currently is post production.
I know it feels good to bash this show, but if you watched the guy's analysis, he does make sense. This is going back to the original vision of star trek; including the Klingons. I personally can't wait for this to watch it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is going back to the original vision of star trek;

i saw him talking on that and I get it, but why?

how many visual versions of trek do we need? why can't they just stick with things the way they were established by classic trek and all the movies (non JJ) and shows since?

this is supposed to be close in time to the events of ENTERPRISE, so one would think that uniforms and characters/races would/should be what was presented there.

it seems that now Trek is being used by ppl like JJ and this crew in order for them to gain notoriety instead of a focus on what is Trek and what we now as Trek

its great that have re-discovered the original ideas and 'looks' of Roddenberry's pre production vision, but he and others settled on what we know for a reason, why 'edit' that?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The problem is they are going beyond simply updating visuals where the current state of technology meant they needed to. They are changing established visual elements simply to try to be "artsy".

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Take this as a grain of salt but....this is heading south pretty quick. Dark and Gritty is not Star Trek. Turning Star Trek into a Justin Lin with Michael Bay style action is not star trek.

This was fast and furious 7 aaaaaaaaahahaha....

Imagine seeing Star Trek like the shit above.

Although the arc of the new series remains shrouded in secrecy, Martin-Green — who’s been shooting “for a little while now” — is able to at least give a vague sense of what Trekkers can expect. “This iteration of Star Trek is going to have a different take than the others in the Star Trek canon,” she says. “It’s going to be bigger, rawer and grittier… and the story’s going to build on itself. It’s going to be a tremendous journey.”

As we already know, it’s also going to be a story told for the first time from the perspective of someone other than the captain — Martin-Green’s First Officer. “Since Star Trek has always been through the eyes of the captain,” she suggests, “to be coming from [his second-in-command’s] mindset is going to be refreshing and challenging in ways that are very thrilling.”

https://tvline.com/2017/04/03/star-trek-discovery-spoilers-sonequa-martin-green-interview/

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I've never watched Star Trek from the perspective of the captain.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Take this as a grain of salt but....this is heading south pretty quick. Dark and Gritty is not Star Trek. Turning Star Trek into a Justin Lin with Michael Bay style action is not star trek.

This was fast and furious 7 aaaaaaaaahahaha....

Imagine seeing Star Trek like the shit above.

https://tvline.com/2017/04/03/star-trek-discovery-spoilers-sonequa-martin-green-interview/

remember

here in the US, CBS is building a whole new streaming service around this show (its up and running now but IDT anyone uses it :) )

they are going to need dark and gritty and action packed to get americans to subscribe to that app

they are going to need something akin to a NASCAR race with a "professional" wrestling match in the midfield with Mama June and the Hillbilly assholes in the stands

can anyone blame me for being far more excited about SW's REBELS and the new SW's films then I am about this Trek? I mean I consider myself a co-equal fan of both, but this new Trek tuff is just making it very hard to say out loud that I am Trek fan for fear of being counted as a new Trek fan :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, my tongue is certainly not bleeding! I came off with Bad until proven Good right off the bat, because of Kurtzman being the EP. With him put in charge shortly after Beyond was released, I knew this was the bone thrown out for him to chew on. I watched as the fans demanded to know if this was the real Prime universe or the shitty JJ Verse (which Kurtzman created) was going to be the setting. I watched as the fanbase blew up about how much it irritated them that this was going to be on CBS All Access. Then, as little reveals have been happening, I have heard nothing but negative responses to the ship, the Klingons, the music, the crew choices and the concept. Oh, and most importantly CANON issues.

Nobody is clueless about where this thing is going and how it is being set up. It is NOT in the Prime universe. They have said that it is, but that was months ago. The Klingons, the stuff they are talking about in terms of what sort of relationships are being set up, the ship and the "new locales and new aliens" already ruins it. You cannot have the "Simoleans" or the "Jedians" just simply appear in the show and not have anything about them in the later shows in the Prime universe. You cannot give them advanced technology beyond what is in the Prime universe either.

The show is DOA as far as I am concerned.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Don't forget they essentially misled fans when they said they were bringing in Bryan Fuller, who then later disappeared.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We do not know how they are going to look like. They have just been hired and it is currently is post production.
I know it feels good to bash this show, but if you watched the guy's analysis, he does make sense. This is going back to the original vision of star trek; including the Klingons. I personally can't wait for this to watch it.

Why do you say stuff like that when it isn't true? These are the original Klingons:

TOS-day_of_the_dove_klingons.png

Those are the genetically altered Klingons of TOS (retroactively explained in TNG). From TNG to DS9 to Voyager to Enterprise, these are the Klingons of the Prime universe:

Klingons.jpg

Now these are the "Klingons" of the dumb JJverse, starting with Star Trek Into Darkness:

klingon1.jpeg
main-qimg-904bc9790063ae37c7a61167c9903679-c.jpg
klingon642012.jpeg

They are NOTHING alike. Now, these are the "Klingons" of Star Trek Discovery:

star-trek-discovery-klingons-01.jpg

Please show me where these Klingons are "going back to the original vision of star trek; including the Klingons", cause I am just not seeing what you are seeing AT ALL. I see the NuTrek Klingons in Discovery, not the Prime universe Klingons.

Why did you say what you did? You have seen these photos before. You already know what they look like, and they do not look like any form of Klingon in TOS or any of the Prime universe shows. Not even close.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Well, my tongue is certainly not bleeding! I came off with Bad until proven Good right off the bat, because of Kurtzman being the EP. With him put in charge shortly after Beyond was released, I knew this was the bone thrown out for him to chew on. I watched as the fans demanded to know if this was the real Prime universe or the shitty JJ Verse (which Kurtzman created) was going to be the setting. I watched as the fanbase blew up about how much it irritated them that this was going to be on CBS All Access. Then, as little reveals have been happening, I have heard nothing but negative responses to the ship, the Klingons, the music, the crew choices and the concept. Oh, and most importantly CANON issues.

Nobody is clueless about where this thing is going and how it is being set up. It is NOT in the Prime universe. They have said that it is, but that was months ago. The Klingons, the stuff they are talking about in terms of what sort of relationships are being set up, the ship and the "new locales and new aliens" already ruins it. You cannot have the "Simoleans" or the "Jedians" just simply appear in the show and not have anything about them in the later shows in the Prime universe. You cannot give them advanced technology beyond what is in the Prime universe either.

The show is DOA as far as I am concerned.
The music? What's wrong about the music? It's orchestral which is exactly what the original Star Trek was. Besides, you are basing this on something you've read from journalists who write stuff to antagonise the fanbase to generate more viewers. Like I said, it should be taken as a grain of salt. I know the direction is not what we wanted, but I am still optimistic about this series.

At least they are not rushing it out the door like their movies which should be taken as a positive.

I also don't see anything wrong with having it CBS exclusive. It is THEIR platform, and THEIR franchise, so they can put it however they want it. They are selling the licence to Netflix so that international people can watch it. How else do you suppose they promote their new platform? I am sure that it will make its way on netflix eventually after 2-3 seasons.

Netflix and Hulu does the same thing with their exclusive shows.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
remember

here in the US, CBS is building a whole new streaming service around this show (its up and running now but IDT anyone uses it :) )

they are going to need dark and gritty and action packed to get americans to subscribe to that app

they are going to need something akin to a NASCAR race with a "professional" wrestling match in the midfield with Mama June and the Hillbilly assholes in the stands

can anyone blame me for being far more excited about SW's REBELS and the new SW's films then I am about this Trek? I mean I consider myself a co-equal fan of both, but this new Trek tuff is just making it very hard to say out loud that I am Trek fan for fear of being counted as a new Trek fan :(
I don't see why you are upset that you need to pay pennies to see it on another platform? I thought you guys liked competition. Having multiple players is good for the economy. This is 7 bucks which is more than I spend on my Public transport. If it's a quality product, it's a steal.