Star Trek Continues - The Finale

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Overall these were nicely done. They create a perfect bridge between TOS and Star Trek: The Motion Picture and even explain things in that film (like why Spock undergoes the Kolinahr discipline). Pacing was good, acting very good and a solid story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Overall these were nicely done. They create a perfect bridge between TOS and Star Trek: The Motion Picture and even explain things in that film (like why Spock undergoes the Kolinahr discipline). Pacing was good, acting very good and a solid story.

I cringed near the end when Kirk was at Starfleet Headquarters with the Admiral and he was in the office looking at the different starships and the Discovery was in the lineup. :facepalm: Why show that dumb ship in the lineage and not have the new Abrams movie Enterprise GT in there instead of 1701? I wish they had left it out. Perhaps CBS paid them to show it in there to give it cred? It does not work with real Trek fans (the marketing tricks).

discovery_STC.png

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Can you imagine the Enterprise doing a barrel roll ... Thats a real shame they stuck the std in there indeed . It has nothing to do with Star Trek .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Can you imagine the Enterprise doing a barrel roll ... Thats a real shame they stuck the std in there indeed . It has nothing to do with Star Trek .
Having Digduggery in there means spore drive happened and Michael happened and those dumb Klingoffs happened. They did NOT happen in the prime timeline. Might as well have put the Firefly in there too.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
For all we know they had to show it in order to keep their permission to create the episodes. I just ignored it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Why "Optimistic"? I just didn't let a scene that lasted about 3 seconds ruin everything.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Why "Optimistic"? I just didn't let a scene that lasted about 3 seconds ruin everything.

You take optimistic as a negative rating? I think it's a good trait to be optimistic! None of the other ratings seemed to fit. The presence of Discovery in that little model ship lineup was a small but significant flub that should never have been put in the episode. It's almost as bad as making a story "all a dream" at the end. Having it in there is small, but the fact that it is there validates all of the totally un-Trek stuff that is happening in the Discovery universe. Having it there means that everything we are seeing in Discovery happened before TOS in the prime timeline and that is just false.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Like I said it was just a couple of seconds so I ignored it - if I were theorycrafting they may have been told by CBS that they had to include it in order to be allowed to finish STC.

Back to the episode; I really liked how they pulled in multiple elements from other episodes of TOS and also how they made the episode serve as a bridge between TOS and Star Trek The Motion Picture. Lots of good acting and we got to see things hinted at before (like the Enterprise doing a saucer separation). We got to find out what happened to the espers from TOS (Gary Mitchell et al) and even followed up on Sub Commander Tal from The Enterprise Incident. And the ending set up all the main characters for how we find them in ST:TMP.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Like I said it was just a couple of seconds so I ignored it - if I were theorycrafting they may have been told by CBS that they had to include it in order to be allowed to finish STC.

Back to the episode; I really liked how they pulled in multiple elements from other episodes of TOS and also how they made the episode serve as a bridge between TOS and Star Trek The Motion Picture. Lots of good acting and we got to see things hinted at before (like the Enterprise doing a saucer separation). We got to find out what happened to the espers from TOS (Gary Mitchell et al) and even followed up on Sub Commander Tal from The Enterprise Incident. And the ending set up all the main characters for how we find them in ST:TMP.

I loved the episodes. I was sorry to see Dr McKenna die. I also liked how they wrapped up the 5 year mission. But honestly, the Discovery model DID bother me. Besides that I notice they disabled comments on the last episode video. There was no mention of CBS asking them to put the ship in that last episode. I will always see it as being a stain on an otherwise awesome episode.

Annoying to be sure. But ultimately it won't amount to much in the long run. STD will no doubt be marginalized and forgotten about within a few years. It's clearly not successful despite TPTB trying their hardest to make us think that it is. And this attempt to legitimize STD by shoehorning it into another ST vehicle would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Annoying to be sure. But ultimately it won't amount to much in the long run. STD will no doubt be marginalized and forgotten about within a few years. It's clearly not successful despite TPTB trying their hardest to make us think that it is. And this attempt to legitimize STD by shoehorning it into another ST vehicle would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

It was pathetically desperate to have Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness to attempt cred and a connection to real Star Trek. Just like it is pathetic for the Captain of this ship to have a tribble randomly crawling around his desk. WTF? 10 years later, on Enterprise 1701, the ship was overrun with them. And that Gorn skeleton, Kirk did not know of the Gorns before so what gives? Desperation abounds for these new dumb writers trying to helm the Star Trek property. They think it's like all the other oatmeal out there, where you just have to plug in pretty faces/big names, and have plenty 'splosions and fancy visual stuff. Isn't that was Star Wars is for? Star Trek fans and creators are not "run-of-the-mill", so why use run of the mill writers/producers to do it?

It was pathetically desperate to have Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness to attempt cred and a connection to real Star Trek. Just like it is pathetic for the Captain of this ship to have a tribble randomly crawling around his desk. WTF? 10 years later, on Enterprise 1701, the ship was overrun with them. And that Gorn skeleton, Kirk did not know of the Gorns before so what gives? Desperation abounds for these new dumb writers trying to helm the Star Trek property. They think it's like all the other oatmeal out there, where you just have to plug in pretty faces/big names, and have plenty 'splosions and fancy visual stuff. Isn't that was Star Wars is for? Star Trek fans and creators are not "run-of-the-mill", so why use run of the mill writers/producers to do it?

The reboot films are heavily flawed but in their defense the characters are nowhere near as revolting as those
on STD. If you ask the question of which ST universe you'd want to live in, either ST Continues or the Kelvin-verse or the STD-verse I can't imagine anyone wanting to sign onto STD. The ST Continues universe is relatable for sure; and while the Kelvin-verse is flawed it's still something that viewers can connect with. But Discovery? No sane person would want to experience that universe. It's dark and nihilistic and devoid of redeeming qualities. TPTB need to stop trying to shove this shit down our throats. We don't like it. We don't want it. It's not Trek and it just needs to go away.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, now I feel a measure of satisfaction. :)

discovery_STC.png

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just think what could have been had CBS instead of giving us STD approached the STC team and asked them to create a star trek series, given them the full CBS license and full creative control?