Star Trek Continues E07 - Embracing the Winds

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We have a new episode of Star Trek Continues. Titled "Embracing the Winds", it has an A and a B story. The A story is Spock being considered along with a Commander Garrett for command of a starship that is drifting in space with a dead crew. The B story is the efforts of the Enterprise to salvage that ship (the USS Hood).

Performances were pretty sound all around. SFX was also good. Todd Haberkorn did better with his Spock mannerisms this time out as well. Mostly this was a good installment except for one problem - and it was a problem I was quite surprised to see in Star Trek.

That problem was the overly heavy handed social commentary. Trek always makes social commentary but usually it is woven into the story. In this installment it is right in the viewer's face and feels like they are lecturing. I like the cause espoused (equal opportunity for women) but really hope that in future they present causes in a more holistic fashion like Trek is famous for.

Aside from that though, this was a nice installment. It fits well in the Star Trek Continues lineup and I was happy to see Todd settle into the Spock role like he has. I await the next adventure!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you get to see this one OM?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Did you get to see this one OM?

I am literally going to watch it right now, right from the embedded video you posted. :) I will comment when done.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This one, although HEAVILY leaning on social commentary, was quintessential Star Trek in TOS fashion, in my opinion. I do think Roddenberry would have explored this one in the 1970s had the show continued. But as a new Continues episode, it seemed out of place. The struggle for women on Star Trek commanding Starfleet starships had (canonically) been breached by Captain Erika Hernandez of the Columbia NX-02. Still, I agree with you that the story was heavy handed women's lib stuffing. I was surprised to see Erin Gray in it, and reading the credits I see that Marina Sirtis is the computer voice. This TOS crew in the original roles continues to amaze me. :) The new Checkov is getting better and better, and Scotty is his father's son to the tee. He is SCARILY on point as Scott. In many ways, this show's Uhura is better than Nichelle Nichols because she is a better actress and she seems more comfortable in the role. The biggest and best and most unique contribution to this show is Dr McKennah, the ship's Counselor. It's as though she was always in the show even in the original. :) With her around, I don't miss Dr McCoy much.

Overall, this is like....a 3 out of five stars as far as ST Continues goes. And this show is the only ACTUAL Star Trek being produced on the small screen. The new show Discovery is sounding like a mushy soapy dud to me from what I know so far, and the arrogance of the creators has already reared it's ugly head. "Frankly, the fans don't know what's good for them!"...."There is always the option not to watch". Weren't those Brad Wright's famous last words?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I thought about Hernandez too, which of course countered the whole point of the episode. Either way, I had zero issue with the cause but did not like having it shoved in my face in a lecturing manner. Trek always has dealt with social commentary but usually it is better woven into the story, and this was jarring because it wasn't.

Still and all a good episode. And yes they have a great cast (and like I said I liked that Todd Haberkorn did much better this time in the whole mannerisms department).

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Looks quite boring watched the first 3 episodes. I found the episode Lolani to be boring made me go to sleep actually. Watching episode 3, but not convinced on it to be honest. What the hell is Grant from Mythbusters doing there?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
To me they feel like logical extensions of the Original Series. As such they are going to flow a bit slower and such but are good installments. Plus they are free on the internet and the cast gets paid very little (basically a cut of any web ad revenue).

Grant Imahara is a long time trekkie and when they approached him to play Sulu he jumped at the chance.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
April 2 the next episode is released!

Per the website on April 2 STC Episode 8 goes online.

I'm glad to see they are still producing this, as STC is the standard carrier for Trek fan films.