Star Trek 4 Fate Still in the Air.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agreed. And at 8 million per episode, CBS has created a bar that they will no longer be able to reach because I doubt anyone is going to fork out over 100 million on this thing again. The Netflix run is something that was always going to happen because Netflix paid CBS to produce the show. It will likely run on Netflix along with Bollywood films and the other canceled Netflix funded shows for quite some time. But I think this season is going to be the only one.

The Kelvin movies are over I think.

UPDATE:

Well, we know there is going to be a Season 2 of Discovery, but as of this post, no 4th movie has been greenlighted, there is no script and none of the actors have been engaged in pre-production. Justin Lin is not available, and Abrams no longer wants to do Star Trek.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1650379/is-star-trek-4-happening-heres-what-zachary-quinto-says

While we do know a bit about the story behind Star Trek 4, and we do apparently know that a script is being written, we don't really for certain who's writing it. Simon Pegg gave us a hint that he and writing partner Doug Jung will be following up their Star Trek Beyond script with the new entry as well, but nothing has been officially confirmed. We also have no idea who will be directing the new film. Justin Linrecently signed up to direct The Stand Off for Netflix which would seem to indicate that he will not be reprising his role as director. Since J.J. Abrams is unlikely to return, this leaves the director's chair wide open.

Doesn't sound that solid to me....

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
He will probably bring a fresh look.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh god as if we didn't get discovery, it's about to get even worse....Quentin Tarantino directing the 4th movie. Rated R for Rubbish!

https://deadline.com/2017/12/quenti...rew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

Wow, just wow. Why not Quentin Tarantino? NuTrek is off the rails for good now. Who cares? I hope M. Night Shyamalan, Ridley Scott and Kevin Costner get one too. :) Pass it around like the thot it is. NuTrek is like Chris Tucker trying to do Shakespeare.

Wow, just wow. Why not Quentin Tarantino? NuTrek is off the rails for good now. Who cares? I hope M. Night Shyamalan, Ridley Scott and Kevin Costner get one too. :) Pass it around like the thot it is. NuTrek is like Chris Tucker trying to do Shakespeare.

At first I was shocked by the news but then I realized at this point in nuTrek it doesn't matter. I simply have no more fu*** to give. And who knows, if we don't get our hopes up we might actually be pleasantly surprised by what happens with Tarantino at the helm.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
He will probably bring a fresh look.
At first I was shocked by the news but then I realized at this point in nuTrek it doesn't matter. I simply have no more fu*** to give. And who knows, if we don't get our hopes up we might actually be pleasantly surprised by what happens with Tarantino at the helm.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...card-role-tarantino-directs-star-trek-1065667

Patrick stewart wants in.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
That'd be cool. I like Patrick.
https://trekmovie.com/2018/03/06/karl-urban-confident-next-star-trek-movie-to-shoot-within-a-year/

Still trying to push out a 4th one which no one asked for...

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Well at least Karl is feeling confident.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Tarantino is supposed to be the one who is going to direct it, but JJ Abrams is still the Producer (Executive). As long as ANY tiny microscopic sliver of JarJar Abrams remains, Star Trek will flounder on the big screen.

Also: This 4th movie as NOT yet been greenlighted, and has not started shooting and also has not been casted yet.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Well at least Karl is feeling confident.
Tarantino is supposed to be the one who is going to direct it, but JJ Abrams is still the Producer (Executive). As long as ANY tiny microscopic sliver of JarJar Abrams remains, Star Trek will flounder on the big screen.

Also: This 4th movie as NOT yet been greenlighted, and has not started shooting and also has not been casted yet.
https://trekmovie.com/2018/04/13/za...tar-trek-may-be-planning-more-than-one-movie/

4th movie and perhaps many more. Dafuq? Don't these dickheads listen?

https://trekmovie.com/2018/04/13/za...tar-trek-may-be-planning-more-than-one-movie/

4th movie and perhaps many more. Dafuq? Don't these dickheads listen?

It's a purely financial decision. The ST movies have made money, including Beyond. If I was a studio exec I would greenlight more ST movies based on this fact, cynical as that decision may be. (Although I would like to think that I would also ensure that the stories were written and directed well.)

While Star Trek Beyond didn’t meet box office expectations it was still the best performing film for Paramount Pictures in 2016. However, a number of other box office disappointments led to financing problems and a management shakeup at the studio. These events have also resulted in fewer big budget tentpoles being greenlit in the last couple of years, with little movement on the Star Trek franchise, even though the studio announced there would be a follow-up to Beyond before the film was even released.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's a purely financial decision. The ST movies have made money, including Beyond. If I was a studio exec I would greenlight more ST movies based on this fact, cynical as that decision may be. (Although I would like to think that I would also ensure that the stories were written and directed well.)

Star Trek (overall) is a multi-BILLION dollar franchise. I am talking about the whole 50-year catalog of Star Trek movies, series, box sets, merchandise, personal appearances, etc etc. Sure, they are going to keep cashing in on it and they don't care if the fanbase doesn't like the latest projects. But I do think that the bean counters at CBSAA are unhappy with Discovery so far. They could create another monstrosity to replace it. And that Nicholas Meyers Star Trek project? Evidently he wants to make a "limited" series centering around Kahn (:facepalm:). Who the hell wants to see a series revolving around NuKahn?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/30/star-trek-khan-series-nicholas-meyer/

Last edited:
Star Trek (overall) is a multi-BILLION dollar franchise. I am talking about the whole 50-year catalog of Star Trek movies, series, box sets, merchandise, personal appearances, etc etc. Sure, they are going to keep cashing in on it and they don't care if the fanbase doesn't like the latest projects. But I do think that the bean counters at CBSAA are unhappy with Discovery so far. They could create another monstrosity to replace it. And that Nicholas Meyers Star Trek project? Evidently he wants to make a "limitd" series centering around Kahn (:facepalm:). Who the hell wants to see a series revolving around NuKahn?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07/30/star-trek-khan-series-nicholas-meyer/

The NuKahn idea is terrible, just terrible. I just don't see a demand for it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
IDK if this has been posted elsewhere on GF's..i didn't see it, so

Chris' Pine and Hemsworth back of ST4 deal

I admit I did not watch the whole video,, a bit lengthy with paramount history, etc

anyway:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
IDK if this has been posted elsewhere on GF's..i didn't see it, so

Chris' Pine and Hemsworth back of ST4 deal

I admit I did not watch the whole video,, a bit lengthy with paramount history, etc

anyway:

Okay, I watched every minute of the video. All 25min+ of it. :) GREAT information, well-researched and all accurate. My take away from it in terms of Bad Robot and Paramount is that neither seem to have the pulse of what Star Trek actually is. To them, it is all about the characters. It has to be Kirk and Spock and Uhura and Scotty and Sulu and McCoy. Also it has to be about the USS Enterprise. WRONG. It was never just about that crew and that ship. That was the perspective we got from the show, an experience aboard a Starfleet vessel tasked with exploration and also recon and defense. We lived with the crew of this ship and went along for their missions and voyages. But that is not "Star Trek" all by itself. Star Trek is an entire universe in a future time (envisioned) of our future. Star Trek can be Deep Space Nine, or life on an earth colony in the Beta Quadrant, or an assignment to a science vessel in the Badlands, or the matriculation of a cadet at Starfleet Academy. There are zillions of things that can happen in "Star Trek". The word "Trek", however, implies a journey, so the quintessential journeys are going to take place on a starship.

Having said that, a new Star Trek movie can easily take place on the USS Lexington or the Vulcan frigate T'nohr (made up). As long as you get the universe right, and the behaviors and cultures of the established races right, and the visual aesthetic of earth ships and established alien ships right, you will have most of what people recognize as Star Trek in the bag. Tell a story of exploration or diplomacy or conflict or cooperation between peoples, not a love story between two people. Concentrate less on effects and more on philosophy.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Tell a story of exploration or diplomacy or conflict or cooperation between peoples

ooh, i know!

how about a full series on nothing but the daily dealings in the Federation Assembly? it could be like CSPAN but with alien peoples!!

:) that would be a real joy kill

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Meh. Is it any great loss if it doesn't happen?

It will be a great loss if it DOES happen. They have Quentin Tarantino tapping his fingers on an r-rated Star Trek script waiting impatiently in the wings.