Star Trek 2017 to be set before TNG?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I have heard some intriguing rumors about the new Star Trek TV show /that will be coming to CBS All Access next year under the stewardship of Bryan Fuller: it won't be set in the JJ Abrams reboot universe. The new show will be set in the original, classic continuity.

But when? Will it be a prequel, like Enterprise? Or will it be the next generation for The Next Generation? Neither, I've heard. The show will be set some time after the events of Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country, so between the original series and The Next Generation.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04...v-show-will-be-set-before-the-next-generation

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
OM mentioned this on the other thread about this show, but I have to ask.

WHY??
Why do we need -another- prequel for Trek?
Why do we need -yet another- chance to screw the continuity pooch?
Enterprise wasn't sucky enough?
ST:2009 just didn't turn enough people off?

Trek needs to look -forwards-, it's one of the frigging tenants of the show, looking forward to a better world, but no, these bone headed wankers think that looking backwards is a good idea............

Just, Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

heisenberg

Earl Grey

WHY??

Trek needs to look -forwards-, it's one of the frigging tenants of the show, looking forward to a better world, but no, these bone headed wankers think that looking backwards is a good idea............

I agree. I'd imagine that star trek will be like watching a congress debate if it was set in just on earth. It will turn into a political melodrama with a light sci-fi touch to it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

WHY??

WELL. PUT.

What if they really do a dumb move and then start it in the Prime universe and then refer to the destruction of Vulcan or transwarp beaming or make a mention of Nero and the Narada? That would ruin it for me. I want the show to act as though the JJverse never existed at all. Showing Vulcan would do a lot to renew my faith in Star Trek.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
WELL. PUT.

What if they really do a dumb move and then start it in the Prime universe and then refer to the destruction of Vulcan or transwarp beaming or make a mention of Nero and the Narada? That would ruin it for me. I want the show to act as though the JJverse never existed at all. Showing Vulcan would do a lot to renew my faith in Star Trek.

Any series taking place generations ahead of NuTrek would be so damned advanced they would perceivably be gods. We see how quick tech evolves in Trek. Imagine what they do with 80 years if the starting point has transwarp beaming, Khan's immortality blood and that Dreadnought class ship from ST: Into Garbage.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Any series taking place generations ahead of NuTrek would be so damned advanced they would perceivably be gods. We see how quick tech evolves in Trek. Imagine what they do with 80 years if the starting point has transwarp beaming,, Khan's immortality blood and that Dreadnought class ship from ST: Into Garbage.

EXACTLY. It's a dead end storytelling device when you can magically appear on other planets in other star systems via transporters. And Kahn's blood? :) I read somewhere that Star Trek Beyond is going to ignore those things as though they never happened, and that this next movie finds them already on their five year mission. Huh? And if Spock and Uhura are still together in this next movie, doesn't that make it a defacto marriage? At least we know the dumb looking Enterprise GT is destroyed. But that also means that JJ can make a whole new Enterprise. What will he name it? Who cares? :moody: :P

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually the article specifically states this is not in the JJverse. Also says it is very serialized with each season being planned as a serial. And that the timeframe is post "Undiscovered Country" but pre TNG.

I don't like prequels as they confine the storytelling space pretty heavily, but with it specifically not being in the JJverse they avoid the magic blood and transwarp beaming stuff completely.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Actually the article specifically states this is not in the JJverse. Also says it is very serialized with each season being planned as a serial. And that the timeframe is post "Undiscovered Country" but pre TNG.

I don't like prequels as they confine the storytelling space pretty heavily, but with it specifically not being in the JJverse they avoid the magic blood and transwarp beaming stuff completely.
Which is good, but I share your concerns over the constraints of prequel storytelling.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Oh, I know that (bolded). I was talking about the movies and the pointlessness of them from this point forward.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Oh, I know that (bolded). I was talking about the movies and the pointlessness of them from this point forward.

The new Star Trek series, being prepared for the CBS All-Access streaming service, will film in Toronto, Ontario, CA, it was announced Friday. The series is due to start shooting Fall 2016, as studio space was booked by CBS starting in September.

http://comicbook.com/2016/04/22/cbss-new-star-trek-tv-series-will-film-in-toronto-this-fall/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
WTF? Washington Post now limits the number of articles you can rad there for free in a month?, then I have to subscribe? Um no! Yet another reaso9n why links should always accompany relevant excerpts, and all excerpts should include links. Oh well, I have no idea what is at that link you posted because I have read all my free articles at TWP this month. :(

Open it with another browser and you're back in. If you want to keep sticking it to them, install an imposter plugin in the browsers you use an keep switching identities. :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alas its William Shatner bloviating about climate change....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Open it with another browser and you're back in. If you want to keep sticking it to them, install an imposter plugin in the browsers you use an keep switching identities. :icon_lol:

LOL! This worked perfectly, thanks. :)

Shatner did say this which I thought was cool:

"There was all kinds of interest in flying vehicles and health and the state of the world" among science fiction writers 50 years ago, Shatner said. "That we wouldn't be melting away, into the sixth extinction. It would be a much more pleasant. Peaceful. Humane world. Than it is."

Are there any technologies that worry you? I asked.

"The technology that worries me is the old technologies," Shatner said. "The technology of uses of energy and the spilling of toxins into Mother Earth, and we're killing our Earth and nobody is irate about it enough. And not enough people are irate about it. People like yourself — young people like yourself should be screaming at the top of your lungs to the people who lead."

That sounds like both himself and also Leonard Nimoy. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

This sentence from that link elicited as "YES! (with fist pulldown)" from me:

The series, announced last November, is rumored to take place between the Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation eras, and will be in continuity with those television shows, not the newer continuity of the modern Paramount films

That is a huuuuuge relief. It means that everything will look somewhat familiar, that we could explore the invention of replicator technology or holodeck technology, the building of Enterprise 1701-D...or not. In order to be in continuity, that means Vulcan still exists and Klingons still look like Klingons and Andorians will still be blue and have antennae. The basic anchors have to be in place, then they can play everywhere in that universe on a Federation starship or not. As long as they do not ground the show on the surface of a planet and form it around a family, or introduce sex or romance in the first episode, it should be ok!

heisenberg

Earl Grey
WTF? Washington Post now limits the number of articles you can read there for free in a month?, then I have to subscribe? Um no! Yet another reason why links should always accompany relevant excerpts, and all excerpts should include links. Oh well, I have no idea what is at that link you posted because I have read all my free articles at TWP this month. :(

If you clear your cookies, it resets back to zero or browse is private browser mode. That way, cookies don't get saved on your computer. That's how some of these some of these newspaper have. You can also view some websites in cache view
http://cachedview.com/.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This sentence from that link elicited as "YES! (with fist pulldown)" from me:

The series, announced last November, is rumored to take place between the Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek: The Next Generation eras, and will be in continuity with those television shows, not the newer continuity of the modern Paramount films

That is a huuuuuge relief. It means that everything will look somewhat familiar, that we could explore the invention of replicator technology or holodeck technology, the building of Enterprise 1701-D...or not. In order to be in continuity, that means Vulcan still exists and Klingons still look like Klingons and Andorians will still be blue and have antennae. The basic anchors have to be in place, then they can play everywhere in that universe on a Federation starship or not. As long as they do not ground the show on the surface of a planet and form it around a family, or introduce sex or romance in the first episode, it should be ok!
Yeah, but why set it between TNG and TOS? Why not set it right after Voyager? Wouldn't that make more sense? I mean, I am more than happy to watch it but i don't know, this makes no sense.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, but why set it between TNG and TOS? Why not set it right after Voyager? Wouldn't that make more sense? I mean, I am more than happy to watch it but i don't know, this makes no sense.

The period between TNG and TOS was only slightly touched upon in the Generations movie and towards the end of the TOS crew movies (specifically Undiscovered Country). The introduction of the Excelsior class ships and the Enterprises B and C were done during this time. The Cardassian Occupation happened during this time. The Klingon/Federation Alliance happened during this time. Replicator and Holodeck technology was created during this time.

Why not? It is an important gap of time not properly accounted for. Plus, by Voyager's time, we could defeat the Borg, had ablative armor technology from Admiral Janeway plus temporal shields and transphasic torpedos and a most unfortunate use of time travel tropes like the Federation Timeship Relativity and the dumb Temporal Prime Directive. Oh, and The Doctor. Too much push into unknown territory there IMO.

This way, with the timeline bracketed, the writers are FORCED to stick to canon.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The period between TNG and TOS was only slightly touched upon in the Generations movie and towards the end of the TOS crew movies (specifically Undiscovered Country). The introduction of the Excelsior class ships and the Enterprises B and C were done during this time. The Cardassian Occupation happened during this time. The Klingon/Federation Alliance happened during this time. Replicator and Holodeck technology was created during this time.

Why not? It is an important gap of time not properly accounted for. Plus, by Voyager's time, we could defeat the Borg, had ablative armor technology from Admiral Janeway plus temporal shields and transphasic torpedos and a most unfortunate use of time travel tropes like the Federation Timeship Relativity and the dumb Temporal Prime Directive. Oh, and The Doctor. Too much push into unknown territory there IMO.

This way, with the timeline bracketed, the writers are FORCED to stick to canon.

LMAO! :anim_59: Here it is a year later with the show being aired, and what a turd in the punchbowl it is. :shame: :moody: