Spiderman joins Marvel Cinematic Universe!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The contractual restraints with SONY's cinematic, stand alone ownership of Spiderman have been resolved and he will now be included in multi-Marvel superhero movies. (The report I saw on the business news today said this was due to the "failure" of the last Spiderman movie starring Andrew Garfield. It didn't meet financial expectations and SONY saw the benefit of including the character in with the rest of the Marvel universe.)

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...s-marvel-cinematic-universe-article-1.2109350

avengers-spider-man-630x420.jpg

Spider-Man joins Marvel Cinematic Universe as Sony agrees to super deal
Is your Spider-Sense tingling? Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige says the deal, which will reintroduce the popular super hero in an upcoming Marvel movie, possibly next year's 'Captain America: Civil War,' is 'something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.'
Marvel Studios has finally snared Spider-Man in its web.
The studio announced late Monday that it reached a deal with Sony to debut a rebooted version of the wall-crawling superhero in one of its movies,
sharing the same cinematic universe as the likes of Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man and Chris Evans’ Captain America.

That movie is expected to be next year's "Captain America: Civil War," a source told the Wall Street Journal.

It’s a huge win for both Marvel and comic book nerds: Spider-Man, of course, is the flagship hero of the company’s comics division, but had been licensed to Sony before Marvel had established its own studio. The publisher’s popular X-Men franchise, however, remains in 20th Century Fox’s clutches.

*More at the link plus plenty more on a simple Google search.

Oh yeah -- I like the fact that Andrew Garfield will not (probably) reprise the role of Spidey. He never sat right with me to be honest.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I heard it on the news today myself! Spidey will be in the next Captain America movie. :).

BTW: Sony is still getting paid by Disney to use him. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I heard it on the news today myself! Spidey will be in the next Captain America movie. :).

BTW: Sony is still getting paid by Disney to use him. :)

As I understand it SONY couldn't ignore the piles of money that The Avengers has been bringing in compared to the Spiderman box office receipts. One of the reasons cited for SONY's demotion of co-chairman Amy Pascal was the poor figures for the last Spiderman movie. But, whatever the reason I think it's a good thing that they are linking the character up with the other Marvel figures. :encouragement:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Marvel film people seem a lot more competent than the clowns who have been doing Spider Man.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Marvel film people seem a lot more competent than the clowns who have been doing Spider Man.

Yep, and they have already tried to make money on him and failed.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I suspect if the Spiderman/Avengers link up is successful (which it no doubt will be) the blockade preventing an X-men crossover will come down too. It's all about the money. That's the final arbiter in these matters. The Spiderman announcement yesterday is proof of that.

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
The contractual restraints with SONY's cinematic, stand alone ownership of Spiderman have been resolved and he will now be included in multi-Marvel superhero movies. (The report I saw on the business news today said this was due to the "failure" of the last Spiderman movie starring Andrew Garfield. It didn't meet financial expectations and SONY saw the benefit of including the character in with the rest of the Marvel universe.)

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...s-marvel-cinematic-universe-article-1.2109350

avengers-spider-man-630x420.jpg

Spider-Man joins Marvel Cinematic Universe as Sony agrees to super deal
Is your Spider-Sense tingling? Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige says the deal, which will reintroduce the popular super hero in an upcoming Marvel movie, possibly next year's 'Captain America: Civil War,' is 'something which both we at Marvel, and fans alike, have been looking forward to for years.'
Marvel Studios has finally snared Spider-Man in its web.
The studio announced late Monday that it reached a deal with Sony to debut a rebooted version of the wall-crawling superhero in one of its movies,
sharing the same cinematic universe as the likes of Robert Downey Jr.’s Iron Man and Chris Evans’ Captain America.

That movie is expected to be next year's "Captain America: Civil War," a source told the Wall Street Journal.

It’s a huge win for both Marvel and comic book nerds: Spider-Man, of course, is the flagship hero of the company’s comics division, but had been licensed to Sony before Marvel had established its own studio. The publisher’s popular X-Men franchise, however, remains in 20th Century Fox’s clutches.

*More at the link plus plenty more on a simple Google search.

Oh yeah -- I like the fact that Andrew Garfield will not (probably) reprise the role of Spidey. He never sat right with me to be honest.

Ironman without his helmet on is just a guy in a suit. Never show Tony Stark in the suit without the helmet on. It looks as silly as those pseudo-medieval romances with the knights fighting without helmets on so that the audience can identify the good guy.

I do not see Tony Stark and Peter Parker getting along, at least at first.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ironman without his helmet on is just a guy in a suit. Never show Tony Stark in the suit without the helmet on. It looks as silly as those pseudo-medieval romances with the knights fighting without helmets on so that the audience can identify the good guy.

I do not see Tony Stark and Peter Parker getting along, at least at first.

Watch some ultimate spiderman, they don't exactly get along in that for the most part.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Tony Stark tends to be an arrogant, sarcastic prick who doesn't get along, at first, with many people. No doubt they'll have him and Spidey trading barbs.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I honestly don't like the new spiderman reboot if I am honest. Even the rebooted cartoon series aren't that great either. I much prefer the cheesy 1967 version and the 1994 tv series (Best one ever created)

Why did sony buy spiderman in the first place?