SpaceX accident

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I wonder if "total destruction of rocket and space vehicle on launch pad" is a column on SPACEX's PnL statements?

if so, it would be interesting to see how much they allot for this happening and how often

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I wonder if "total destruction of rocket and space vehicle on launch pad" is a column on SPACEX's PnL statements?

if so, it would be interesting to see how much they allot for this happening and how often

I am a YUUUUGE fan of SpaceX. I think that it should replace NASA completely in the space operations of the US. NASA has become a bloated money pit populated by diploma mill graduates that would otherwise be unemployable in the private sector, and that it has fallen too far behind the advances of technology and science to represent the cutting edge of space exploration and development. It accomplished more in 10 years than NASA has done in 3 decades. A fully landing rocket, fuel efficient rocket engines, leveraging existing infrastructure like GPS and telecommunications satellites for guidance systems, etc. This is a minor setback compared to the mega-disasters NASA has had.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is a minor setback compared to the mega-disasters NASA has had

right
i am just wondering, since spacex is a private company and accountable to someone that would actually care--unlike a public agency like NASA-how much thye budget for disasters and how disasters in a fiscal year do they allot for?

not being critical, just wondering

is spacex a part of the TESLA company's holdings? that is, the same owner? is either company publicly held in stock? if so, i am sure the stockholders would like to know how many disasters they are on the hook for

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
right
i am just wondering, since spacex is a private company and accountable to someone that would actually care--unlike a public agency like NASA-how much thye budget for disasters and how disasters in a fiscal year do they allot for?

not being critical, just wondering

is spacex a part of the TESLA company's holdings? that is, the same owner? is either company publicly held in stock? if so, i am sure the stockholders would like to know how many disasters they are on the hook for

I don't have the answers to those questions, but I have personally toured the SpaceX facility in Hawthorne in 2014 as well as the NASA Johnson Space Center 20 years ago. SpaceX is what NASA should have been. The public NASA is bloated and inefficient, like our military has become.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
spacex--i just looked--is a privately funded company and is owned by the TESLA owner Elon Musk. But i am sure there are still a board of dir's who demand answers and success. lacking in NASA

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
spacex--i just looked--is a privately funded company and is owned by the TESLA owner Elon Musk. But i am sure there are still a board of dir's who demand answers and success. lacking in NASA

That's why I am such a YUUUUGE fan. :) NASA needs to be disbanded.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Jeff Bezos of amazon has a space company as well, though i think it has smaller ambitions

then there is virgin and its space plane adventures

and a whole lot of others focused on smaller items and spt areas that we probably have never heard of

i wonder though

does space x and Bezos, etc get their rockets and engines from the big guys like lockhead and ge, etc, or do they build their own/use a smaller company?

because along with ditching NASA i think a dumping of the normal suppliers is needed for success as well

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And kicked in the arse as they exit the door ...

;) ;) ;)

Entities like NASA and CERN and the EPA are all running on the "give us money and we will be able to do _______". As opposed to "We can already do _______ and here is a prototype. Give us money to do it on a larger scale" model of SpaceX. The R&D is already vetted and there is an operating prototype for these things from SpaceX

• A launching platform which is reusable and can supply the ISS or any other space platform with the proper adapters.
  • A landable rocket, which is precise and stable enough to even land on a ship at sea
  • An operating electrical system which maximizes use of solar charging
  • The monitoring and design technology needed to control these unmanned vehicles (and probably manned as well)
  • A vibrant and creative and MOTIVATED technology team which creates consistently viable technology.
Why the hell do we need bloated NASA?