Space Cop - cheap, bizarre but also entertaining!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Space Cop is a feature film made on a VERY slim budget by Red Letter Media (the Plinkett Review people). It also took them around a decade to make, and both the lack of money and the long production time show in this film. They have made films before (Gorilla Interrupted, Feeding Frenzy, The Recovered) in addition to their web series and Plinkett reviews. It is a VERY small production company.

Storywise, Space Cop is about a cop from the future (played by Rich Evans) who is catapulted into our time, where he is partnered with a cop from our past (the 40's to be exact - played by Mike Stolkasa). They then investigate a series of crimes which leads to aliens, whose leader is played by Jocelyn Ridgely.

The acting in the film is actually decent, especially given the heavy comedy dose in the movie. Rich Evans plays Space Cop as sort of an obnoxious, drunken Dirty Harry. Stolkasa's cop from the 40's is the "straight man". Ridgely has some very funny scenes as the alien leader as well.

The visual effects are crude, and reflect the near zero budget. That said they could be a lot worse. Also, the pacing in the film is inconsistent, probably from the extra long and on/off nature of production.

This brings me to the plot. Bizarre is the best way to describe it. Sandwiched in with the comedy schlock is a fairly intelligent time travel story. They even managed to write in a sequence where a drunken and stupid (as usual) Space Cop is actually the cause of events in his past (and the movie's future) that drove him to drink and such. Causal loop anyone?

Sadly right now there is no free access to the film....yet. I was gifted the DVD. I'm sure it will eventually find its way onto torrents and such, which in this case is a bit sad as it is not a big studio here but rather the livelihood of four people.

Overall, it was entertaining. Some of the humor was fairly twisted but it was overall funny and entertaining.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Is there a link?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The trailers and such are at http://redlettermedia.com. However as stated right now there is no free way to see it.

Okay, sorry I missed that part. I tend to wonder why it isn't being offered for free yet? I can see not releasing it at first due to wanting to submit it to film contests/festivals. But if it's been available for awhile I wonder why they would expect people to pony up money for such a cheap production (as described)?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It came out about three weeks ago.

The other reason I suspect is that this is a SMALL company (four people)? They likely literally can't afford to give their films away.

By the way, they're also in Wisconsin (Milwaukee).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It came out about three weeks ago.

The other reason I suspect is that this is a SMALL company (four people)? They likely literally can't afford to give their films away.

By the way, they're also in Wisconsin (Milwaukee).

:icon_e_surprised:

*I'll have to check it out now, lol. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Red Letter Media, PO Box 400, Oak Creek WI 53154

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So someone was jerky enough to pirate off of a couple of people whose livelihood this is and put it up online?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So someone was jerky enough to pirate off of a couple of people whose livelihood this is and put it up online?

I don't know what the motivation was for the pirates. I'm just saying it is available out there. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, hopefully enough people will still buy it to let its makers earn a living. After all, unless we want only big studios to do everything except fan films where the participants are part timers the small houses need a way to make ends meet.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well, hopefully enough people will still buy it to let its makers earn a living. After all, unless we want only big studios to do everything except fan films where the participants are part timers the small houses need a way to make ends meet.

They paid for it didn't they? It's already made. From the looks of it (which I really liked), it did not exactly cost an arm and a leg to make and I doubt anyone mortgaged a home or sold a car to pay for it's production. The makers have IndieGoGo and GoFundMe they can use. I am not anti-indie. :) But I will not ignore the fact that pirating is real and the makers of these fan productions need to realize that they are responsible for monetization. Star Trek Continues and New Voyages make the product available for download at no cost and ask for donations. These guys should do the same.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
They paid for it didn't they? It's already made. From the looks of it (which I really liked), it did not exactly cost an arm and a leg to make and I doubt anyone mortgaged a home or sold a car to pay for it's production. The makers have IndieGoGo and GoFundMe they can use. I am not anti-indie. :) But I will not ignore the fact that pirating is real and the makers of these fan productions need to realize that they are responsible for monetization. Star Trek Continues and New Voyages make the product available for download at no cost and ask for donations. These guys should do the same.

Those are good ideas actually. While I think GoFundMe is more about charity fundraising one could use indiegogo (which I prefer over Kickstarter) on a per production basis. There is also Patreon for small studios (and I believe they are a Patreon member).

As to these guys, most of their stuff is free - I think the only things they charge for are their four "feature films". All the rest of their stuff (Plinkett reviews, Half in the Bag, Best of the Worst and so on) is free and on YouTube.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
FYI it looks like this is now out on the various torrent sites.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
FYI it looks like this is now out on the various torrent sites.

Wait...you actually know about the torrent sites? :) I thought you did not sail the high seas! I openly admit I do. :cool:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I check them on occasion because we have torrenters here and sometimes (like this case) it enables access to a movie.