Something about these auctions rub my rubarb.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
Stargate Auctions SUCK!!!! I don’t care that MGM is desperate for money and they are doing anything to make a buck. I don’t care that the writers or tptb need a bonus. These auctions are not necessary unless the items auctioned are not going to be used in the mini-movies. Babylon 5 is probably the most successful example in terms of getting mini-movies produced long after the series had ended. I don’t see this happening for the Stargate franchise even though the following is just as large.
The economy isn’t helping matters, but if the creators really had their hearts into the idea I believe the movies would be made. The Atlantis team still needs work and with the exception of Amanda Tapping most of the SG-1 actors are free as well. It is a lack of initiative. We have already seen Children of the Gods which is probably why it didn’t sell as well as some of the other movies but the fanbase is still here but soon it will be too late if SGU continues to suck.
It makes sense to charge people ten bucks for an hour and a half movie if they are willing to pay for it. Most fans I know are still willing to pay for SG-1 and Atlantis movies.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Stargate Auctions SUCK!!!! I don’t care that MGM is desperate for money and they are doing anything to make a buck. I don’t care that the writers or tptb need a bonus. These auctions are not necessary unless the items auctioned are not going to be used in the mini-movies. Babylon 5 is probably the most successful example in terms of getting mini-movies produced long after the series had ended. I don’t see this happening for the Stargate franchise even though the following is just as large.
The economy isn’t helping matters, but if the creators really had their hearts into the idea I believe the movies would be made. The Atlantis team still needs work and with the exception of Amanda Tapping most of the SG-1 actors are free as well. It is a lack of initiative. We have already seen Children of the Gods which is probably why it didn’t sell as well as some of the other movies but the fanbase is still here but soon it will be too late if SGU continues to suck.
It makes sense to charge people ten bucks for an hour and a half movie if they are willing to pay for it. Most fans I know are still willing to pay for SG-1 and Atlantis movies.

Yeah I'd pay to watch an SG-1 or SGA movie defo.

T

Tanith

From MGM's viewpoint at the moment there thinking: Will they make a good profit out it based on the amount it will cost to make and the current decrease in the DVD market. Since there close to (or maybe even in, not been keeping up with their situation) bankruptcy its not a risk they have been willing to make.

There is a small chance that when MGM gets its act together and gets new owner that they may turn their attention back to the Stargate movies but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I would still gladly pay for the movies though. To me I wouldn't mind if an SG-1 movie never happens but we need an Atlantis movie to tie up loose ends.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

From MGM's viewpoint at the moment there thinking: Will they make a good profit out it based on the amount it will cost to make and the current decrease in the DVD market. Since there close to (or maybe even in, not been keeping up with their situation) bankruptcy its not a risk they have been willing to make.

There is a small chance that when MGM gets its act together and gets new owner that they may turn their attention back to the Stargate movies but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I would still gladly pay for the movies though. To me I wouldn't mind if an SG-1 movie never happens but we need an Atlantis movie to tie up loose ends.

You are right on every point you just made in this post. I also entirely understand the POV of MGM re finances but I really hope that if funds permit, TPTB decide on an Atlantis movie to tie up loose ends.......... which brings me to a point of clarity, how much sway do the likes of Joe Mallozzi have in regards to which film gets made? Because he seems insistant on an SGU film getting priority over any other. Any takers peeps?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan

Which is why i dont understand them not going with the funding Joe Flanigan had drummed up? (for source see his tweet or i think its on the joeflan thread here?)

Im also not sure about how big the decrease in the market is. Atlantis is still selling well and they have a history of good sales for sga (again these figures are on the site) so im not convinced that people are buying a lot less dvd's.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
lying sacks of.....

the fact they have been selling the props and set pieces off for the past six months says to me there is no intention of ever making a sga movie...pure and simple. they have sold almost every piece of the atlantis control room even down to the dhd console and stained glass windows.......

space I love the rubbing your rhubarb line! ;)

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
Don't get too worried about the auctions

Those props are making so much more money in these auctions than they would just sitting around collecting dust. Besides, the props themselves are relatively inexpensive and easy to make (compared to how much they are being sold for) so if they do decide to make a new movie, they can easily replace the props (and they'll have more money to do it too).

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
I bet they only keep the props around unused until their depreciated value is close to zero, and then they sell them.

I've been on big TV sets and let me tell you, they're all business. What we suckers see is all spin and promotion.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
They have made millions through the dvd sales and with people watching eps. through netflicks and toy sales. There is no logical reason to sell these pieces unless they aren't making an atlantis movie. (I've known about the auctions before now, but the one coming up seemed to have more atlantis stuff in it than usual.) I am all for selling props to make money if it makes a profit, but it doesn't make sense to rebuild these things for another movie. Which means they are not going to make another movie. It is obvious tptb are leaderless and have no direction. I remember the good old days when they were running SG-1 and Atlantis simultaneously. That period produced some really good writing. When there are deadlines and goals that must be met the good writing is produced. SGU is a lost cause and tptb have abandoned their only saving grace (the movies).

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
They have made millions through the dvd sales and with people watching eps. through netflicks and toy sales. There is no logical reason to sell these pieces unless they aren't making an atlantis movie. (I've known about the auctions before now, but the one coming up seemed to have more atlantis stuff in it than usual.) I am all for selling props to make money if it makes a profit, but it doesn't make sense to rebuild these things for another movie. Which means they are not going to make another movie. It is obvious tptb are leaderless and have no direction. I remember the good old days when they were running SG-1 and Atlantis simultaneously. That period produced some really good writing. When there are deadlines and goals that must be met the good writing is produced. SGU is a lost cause and tptb have abandoned their only saving grace (the movies).

I never believed the movies were going to be made, i always thought it was a smoke-screen to get us to watch their "new baby"... :P

S

Stonelesscutter

Well I have unofficially read that a new SG-1 movie is actually in production as we speak. Though I must say I am hardpressed to believe it myself. After all the lying that's been going on the past couple of years I've become very sceptic about any news.
Regarding the auctions, as I've said before, selling off the props doesn't necesarilly mean no new productions. CGI has come a long way as is often nicely demonstrated by our friend Omnipotent in hist 3D Destiny thread. (http://forums.sgusucks.com/showthread.php?256-3D-Destiny&p=9566#post9566)
Also as some others noted, the props are selling for more money than it would take to create new ones, so I don't really see any harm in that.