So who is your favorite G'oauld?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Based off a comment by Mzzz in the "Who's your favorite Vulcan?" thread here is the sequel - who's your favorite G'oauld?

Personally I have to pick Ba'al. I like my villains smart and Ba'al definitely was that. He also had more ability to work with others than the other System Lords and even on occasion (when interests converged) worked with the T'auri. Anubis was also intelligent but his complete inability to function in any type of relationship where he was not totally dominate downgraded him in my eyes.

Honorable mention - Yu. Like Ba'al his agendas were not always obvious.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
osirus1.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I'm torn now...............
Ba'al was certainly the most complete Goa'uld we get to see in SG-1, and hell, you even want him to win sometimes, but Osiris was one of those "semi-recurring" Goa'uld who was just cool (like Tannith and his feud with Teal'c).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm torn now...............
Ba'al was certainly the most complete Goa'uld we get to see in SG-1, and hell, you even want him to win sometimes, but Osiris was one of those "semi-recurring" Goa'uld who was just cool (like Tannith and his feud with Teal'c).

I like that Osiris had a beginning, a middle, and, most importantly, an end to her character. She wasn't endlessly dragged out and they didn't require a "movie" to finish her off, unlike Ba'al.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I think they should have left Ba'al alive at the end of Continuum. He always was the best G'oauld in terms of figuring his way out of tight situations.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Actually I think they should have left Ba'al alive at the end of Continuum. He always was the best G'oauld in terms of figuring his way out of tight situations.

I despise "immortal" villains. It's a sign of cheap, lazy writing. It's also an insult to the integrity of the heroes of the story. It is essentially the writers saying that good can't permanently triumph over evil, which is more a reflection of the writer's own negative, nihilistic sense of life than anything else.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I like that Osiris had a beginning, a middle, and, most importantly, an end to her character. She wasn't endlessly dragged out and they didn't require a "movie" to finish her off, unlike Ba'al.
Do you think they dragged Ba'al out too much?
I liked that he became the "goa'uld buddy", like Todd the wraith did in SGA. I will admit however, that feeling came from wanting to see the actors in those characters more. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I despise "immortal" villains. It's a sign of cheap, lazy writing. It's also an insult to the integrity of the heroes of the story. It is essentially the writers saying that good can't permanently triumph over evil, which is more a reflection of the writer's own negative, nihilistic sense of life than anything else.

Oh I understand that and agree. I just thought Ba'al deserved a better end than that.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I liked that he became the "goa'uld buddy", like Todd the wraith did in SGA. I will admit however, that feeling came from wanting to see the actors in those characters more. :)

Yes, Ba'al was dragged out far too long I thought. Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for an antagonist in the story but there comes an over-saturation point where it becomes obvious the writers are milking the bad guy character because they are bereft of ideas.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh I understand that and agree. I just thought Ba'al deserved a better end than that.

As tired as I was of Ba'al I actually liked how they killed him off.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yes, Ba'al was dragged out far too long I thought. Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for an antagonist in the story but there comes an over-saturation point where it becomes obvious the writers are milking the bad guy character because they are bereft of ideas.
Sure, but you gotta admit, at least Ba'al was worth watching as a bad guy :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sure, but you gotta admit, at least Ba'al was worth watching as a bad guy :)

I admit nothing! (especially having anything to do with that thing that happened with that thing)

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

Yes, let Cliff Simon be on different shows like NCIS: Los Angeles.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan

It got old when Baal had made a zillion full grown clones of himself. I personally could not care less what happened to a (non-twin) clone of me. If I were a clone of an original, I would let the original die to save myself.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It got old when Baal had made a zillion full grown clones of himself. I personally could not care less what happened to a (non-twin) clone of me. If I were a clone of an original, I would let the original die to save myself.

Yeah the clone thing was a real "jump the shark" moment I thought. And frankly I just found the immortal nature of the character to be tedious. I'm all for an antagonist offering a hard challenge to the heroes, but there comes a point where that challenge can be stretched out too long. As I said, it's a sign of lazy writing, like with the Borg in STNG. They were a really great enemy at first but eventually they became a crutch that the writers used whenever they were out of ideas. They even ended up in the other ST shows which was just plain stupid.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
B'all for sure and then Yu and then good ole opofas who was the start of it all in the tv series . He was actually funny to watch cuz hiz character was so over the top . He always reminded me of prince for some reason and it made me laugh a little .
:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
As if there ever was any doubt.

WELCOME! Love your handle name and avatar. :) If you need to know anything about the forums or how to do stuff here, please check the HowTo or PM any of the Council or just ask it in one of the threads.

Ba'al is also my favorite to watch, but as "favorite Goa'uld", I have to stick with the classic Apophis/Ra duo. They were the original evil Goa'uld and to me were the most badass ones. Qetesh and Hathor are my favorite female Goa'uld. I would have loved to see Qetesh and the first Wraith Queen in a fight!