So...the soil has settled on the grave of SGU. But Stargate still lives. Its just missing...

G

Graybrew1

Ugh. And then it continues to show that that entire scene was just the fantasy of an autistic boy who has a snowglobe with a replica of the hospital they were in. :facepalm:

Yeah, like I said..........Just an option. I'm sure it could be tweaked to keep some canon. I just like the idea of the cameos of the two originals.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Yeah, like I said..........Just an option. I'm sure it could be tweaked to keep some canon. I just like the idea of the cameos of the two originals.

I like the idea of cameos as well, but I think they should play completely different characters. Kurt Russell for example, he'd be an excellent villain. I mean while I was watching Death Proof I thought 'Wow, he'd make an excellent homicidal maniac on Stargate'.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I 50% agree.

Meh I'm still not sure I'd be that interested in a reboot. Jack and Daniel are RDA and MS for me; that's why I found them 10x more appealing than the film versions.

I found Shanks' Daniel to be WAY better than the movie Daniel, but I think Russel made a WAY better Jack than RDA. I dont see how you can have Stargate without a Jack and a Daniel, no matter who plays them. They are integral to the story. The stargate needs to be unearthed in Giza, and the military has to be the one who gets it working. Who finds it and which military can be played with. I personally would rather see the gate in British hands than Americans, even though Im American. That could mean that the show could be done in the UK which would be better IMO.

We say a reboot is necessary but Atlantis launched just fine despite the complex backstory. Universe also explained the premise of Stargate pretty cleanly before moving on - so theoretically it can be done. Star Trek works because its been decades since those original series stories were told - here it would be rehashing way too soon.
Atlantis followed the stuff in the canon set forth by SG-1, but how can you honestly say that Universe "explained the premise of Stargate pretty cleanly". HUH? Stargate Universe was about a spaceship and the characters who were stuck on that ship, their struggles and relationships. That has nothing to do with the premise of Stargate. The main "adventure" device used in SGU was those stones, not the stargate. Sorry, just cant let that one slide...:biggrin:. Having said that, they could reboot Atlantis as a standalone show, even without a stargate.

A reboot in the near future is far from certain though, it could be 5 years before they get a project off the ground; MGM has other properties they can bring to television in the meantime.
I agree. And I dont want a reboot in the NEAR future, because Brad is still unemployed and there is still the SGU season 2 DVD yet to be released. They have added it to Netflix and Hulu, and its still twitching despite it being cancelled and off the air. I think we need it to be cold and stiff before they reconsider a reboot.

G

Graybrew1

I like the idea of cameos as well, but I think they should play completely different characters. Kurt Russell for example, he'd be an excellent villain. I mean while I was watching Death Proof I thought 'Wow, he'd make an excellent homicidal maniac on Stargate'.

I could totally see that, that would work. :icon_e_wink:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
:lol:

Overmind One has been preaching the scrapping of SG1 and SGA (and SGU) from canon and returning to the Emmerich-Devlin roots since the first time we interacted on the Syfy forum! :icon_lol:

While I personally favor a series reboot (perhaps with a pilot movie or mini-series) which involves a combined SG1/SGA cast and stories, maybe even a new mission for the City of Atlantis in a different galaxy, I do see a total reboot as the more likely scenario, particularly because it would make it easier for picking up new fans - as Joelist mentioned. The initial success of SGA notwithstanding.
I'm afraid, however, that a successful reboot would probably even eliminate the Emmerich-Devlin movie and do a "Batman Begins" sort of thing. Unless, of course, Emmerich and Devlin were the ones doing the reboot...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:lol:

Overmind One has been preaching the scrapping of SG1 and SGA (and SGU) from canon and returning to the Emmerich-Devlin roots since the first time we interacted on the Syfy forum! :icon_lol:

Yep, I sorta have...:icon_lol:

While I personally favor a series reboot (perhaps with a pilot movie or mini-series) which involves a combined SG1/SGA cast and stories, maybe even a new mission for the City of Atlantis in a different galaxy, I do see a total reboot as the more likely scenario, particularly because it would make it easier for picking up new fans - as Joelist mentioned. The initial success of SGA notwithstanding.
I'm afraid, however, that a successful reboot would probably even eliminate the Emmerich-Devlin movie and do a "Batman Begins" sort of thing. Unless, of course, Emmerich and Devlin were the ones doing the reboot...

You people who have said that here are right...Emmerich and Devlin have "lost it" a bit, but not as much as Brad Wright and Cooper did with SGU. Im not sure I would trust them to take it in the right direction either. But I do think that Brad Wright's canon and his stargate shows are pretty much a closed chapter.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I just watched The Fifth Race again and was reminded they never explored the Ida galaxy where the asgard were hanging out. If they can dial pegasus they should explore that galaxy and other surrounding ones.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I just watched The Fifth Race again and was reminded they never explored the Ida galaxy where the asgard were hanging out. If they can dial pegasus they should explore that galaxy and other surrounding ones.

snookie and I were talking today about dropped storylines/ideas from sg1 and sga and she mentioned the ida galaxy. :) great minds and all that. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
snookie and I were talking today about dropped storylines/ideas from sg1 and sga and she mentioned the ida galaxy. :) great minds and all that. ;)

Hang on!!
Did you just compliment Yoshi just then......... :eek: :rotflmao:

the-sky-is-falling-net.jpg

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
That retu or however it's spelt storyline was kinda good in my opinion, of course it was a blatant rip-off of starship troopers but I kind of wanted to see how they deal with it from a stargate angle.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Emmerich and Devlin have "lost it" a bit, but not as much as Brad Wright and Cooper did with SGU.

And it wasn't just SGU but also the earlier rip offs of Star Trek when it came to space ships and beaming, etc. I'd trust E&D to at least stick with their canon and not so obviously rip off other concepts.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And it wasn't just SGU but also the earlier rip offs of Star Trek when it came to space ships and beaming, etc. I'd trust E&D to at least stick with their canon and not so obviously rip off other concepts.

Brad raped Trek without remorse. He stole whole concepts lock stock and barrel, right about the time that Enterprise was cancelled (once again, to try to bait in all the orphaned Trek fans who no longer had a series on the air). He is predictable. ALL of the ships, the weapons on the starships, the shields, the beaming...stolen from Trek. None of that is supposed to be part of Stargate, but it was acceptable because the show was still action/adventure science fiction. With SGU, he raped BSG but it was a whole different animal. In order to rip BSG off, he had to change the genre of Stargate to drama soap-fi, and thats why it failed. Why choose BSG to copy? It was no ratings star, thats for sure!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Brad raped Trek without remorse. He stole whole concepts lock stock and barrel, right about the time that Enterprise was cancelled (once again, to try to bait in all the orphaned Trek fans who no longer had a series on the air). He is predictable. ALL of the ships, the wespons on the starships, the shields, the beaming...stolen from Trek. None of that is supposed to be part of Stargate, but it was acceptable because the show was still action/adventure science fiction. With SGU, he raped BSG but it was a whole different animal. In order to rip BSG off, he had to change the genre of Stargate to drama soap-fi, and thats why it failed. Why choose BSG to copy? It was no ratings star, thats for sure!

To be sorta fair, shields, beaming and plamsa based weaponry is hardly unique to Trek, but yeah, the timing was interesting :P
As to BSG, do you really need an answer for that one :laughing:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
To be sorta fair, shields, beaming and plamsa based weaponry is hardly unique to Trek, but yeah, the timing was interesting :P
As to BSG, do you really need an answer for that one :laughing:

Who had beaming FIRST in science fiction? Arguably, you could say "The Fly" (original). But it wasnt quite the same. That one was flawed, but in Trek it was usable and in widespread usage. War of the Worlds and numerous scifi movies had beam weapons before Trek, but non were mounted on an earth-based Starship defending a Federation or anything like one. :). We had Buck Rogers (original) as a defender of the galaxy, but it wasnt a crew aboard a large ship. But I also know you are an expert at these things, so you will probably be able to easily debunk this. Its just that Stargate didnt just come up with it from nowhere, and the timing and intention was sooooo obvious to me.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Who had beaming FIRST in science fiction? Arguably, you could say "The Fly" (original). But it wasnt quite the same. That one was flawed, but in Trek it was usable and in widespread usage. War of the Worlds and numerous scifi movies had beam weapons before Trek, but non were mounted on an earth-based Starship defending a Federation or anything like one. :). We had Buck Rogers (original) as a defender of the galaxy, but it wasnt a crew aboard a large ship. But I also know you are an expert at these things, so you will probably be able to easily debunk this. Its just that Stargate didnt just come up with it from nowhere, and the timing and intention was sooooo obvious to me.

Are you talking "transporter" style tech here bro?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Then yeah, I'd agree with you. The original "The Fly" had the first modern concept of a machine that converted a person to its constituant particles and moved it to another place and reformed them. The first "constant, safe" idea probably came from "Charlie and the chocolate factory" in 1964. The Idea of translocation or bi-location however has been around for ages, but I really cannot recall where it first came into mythology.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Then yeah, I'd agree with you. The original "The Fly" had the first modern concept of a machine that converted a person to its constituant particles and moved it to another place and reformed them. The first "constant, safe" idea probably came from "Charlie and the chocolate factory" in 1964. The Idea of translocation or bi-location however has been around for ages, but I really cannot recall where it first came into mythology.

We know that the turbolift idea came from that for sure. :) The Enterprise's turbolifts can go up, down, left, right, and in the original, you had the light in the turbolift "window" going up or down or left or right to indicate directional movement. Later, the turbolifts traveled in shafts you could see.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
We know that the turbolift idea came from that for sure. :) The Enterprise's turbolifts can go up, down, left, right, and in the original, you had the light in the turbolift "window" going up or down or left or right to indicate directional movement. Later, the turbolifts traveled in shafts you could see.

Roald Dahl had some great scifi concepts in his books, the Umpa Lumpa, The Television transporter and the Glass elevator are just some of them. I think this is why Scifi and fantasy get so muddled in pop culture. Many Scifi concepts are what amounts to little more than magic, but because we now understand them, they aren't "magic" anymore, but science.