So...the soil has settled on the grave of SGU. But Stargate still lives. Its just missing...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, Stargate Universe is gone...there is no more Stargate of any sort on the near horizon...yet. I cant say this wasnt expected. I think that time needs to pass so that Brad can internalize the fact that Stargate and its future and direction are no longer under his direct control. None of his "people" are in place to pull strings, and his "old boy" connections at the old spendthrift MGM have been let go and retired by the new owners. There is a new audience out there...and the old ones. We will wait.

So what will have to happen to free the canon yet preserve it?

Perhaps they could take a page out of JJ Abrams book and do a temporal solution. They could use Atlantis, but have new actors manning it (and perhaps a core of the original actors as well). Or, they could continue the SG series with an SG-2 or SG-3 or even have a post-secrecy earth fully aware of the stargate and armed to protect itself against attacks (that could be cool!).

Perhaps they could ignore the current canon altogether and start at the end of the original movie (new Jack and new Daniel). This would effectively wipe out all of Brad Wright's stargate canon and go in a different direction. I think this might be the best solution to get a fresher audience as well as keep the old one. But there is a caveat...

PROBABLY, the original creators of Stargate (Emmerich and Devlin) or even a different set of writers will write SEQUELS to the original movie, both would provide a proper jumping point for a new series. That is the caveat with solution #2, if there are sequels, they need to preserve the new extension of any canon set by any sequels.

I dont know what is going to happen with Stargate in the future, but I am absolutely certain that it will return in some form. I am also certain that Stargate Universe will never really thought of as full canon by fans of Stargate. Any new Stargate would have to return to the roots of Stargate, and with SG-1 and Atlantis being the first two shows, and the new movies being action/adventure/drama, that will make SGU seem even more foreign to the whole continuum.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I still think the best approach might be to just attribute the entire SGU series as being mental torture performed on then Major Carter by Fifth during the "New Order" episode. Then just pick up Stargate at SGA, write a plausible way for Atlantis to return to Pegasus and off we go!

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Sorry mate this is going off topic but this is a pretty good video :D I assume this is made by you because it has the name overmind in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oi5dVJiuzw&feature=related

G

Graybrew1

I think they are probably going to ditch most of the old and start completely fresh, don't really know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. But that way any old fan divisions between the three shows would be a moot point.

Now, what would I want them to do? SG1 baby all the way. Give me my third movie and then we can go from there. :icon_e_wink:

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
If they try and pick up the canon but edit out bits they don't like, I won't bother watching. The canon is there; either use it or don't.

Personally I hope they go back to an SG1 like show; people from Earth travelling through the Stargate discovering things. They've done the whole cut off from Earth thing twice already so they might as well embrace a version where they aren't stranded. I'd like to see it remain in the same canon but I'll reserve judgement until I see an idea being formed. I guess they could literally just continue SG1 with new people, effectively creating that Stargate Command show that was planned. A new threat, perhaps cripple the Earth fleet putting the focus back on the Stargate and boom there's a new show with the chance of old characters guest starring.

It's going to be hard trying to invest in a new show when there's so many threads left dangling from the others though.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
i dont want anymore stargate ever again as im happy that its dead and buried.
and if it were to be revived i doubt that it would be something worth watching and it would likly be stupidly written like most of it has been so far.

yep im done being a fan of the show but ill will continue to like the fx.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
It's not totally buried yet...the complete season 2 dvds come out tomorrow! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's not totally buried yet...the complete season 2 dvds come out tomorrow! :P

Well, after I make my rounds at Fry's and Best Buy and Costco, it will be...again. :icon_twisted:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If they try and pick up the canon but edit out bits they don't like, I won't bother watching. The canon is there; either use it or don't.

Personally I hope they go back to an SG1 like show; people from Earth travelling through the Stargate discovering things. They've done the whole cut off from Earth thing twice already so they might as well embrace a version where they aren't stranded. I'd like to see it remain in the same canon but I'll reserve judgement until I see an idea being formed. I guess they could literally just continue SG1 with new people, effectively creating that Stargate Command show that was planned. A new threat, perhaps cripple the Earth fleet putting the focus back on the Stargate and boom there's a new show with the chance of old characters guest starring.

IIRC, Emmerich and Devlin both did not like the direction Wright and Glassener took with the show. It is unlikely that they would choose to use any of that canon or even consider it when making the sequels they want to make. Most of SG-1 created stuff in the canon that should never have been there (but was still cool to watch and get into). Those things would be the definition of the aliens who take over human bodies like Ra in the original film. They did not become parasites or symbiotes or "Goa'uld" until SG-1. There were no rules about how long the gate could remain open, and the snakeheads were not a race called the Jaffa from a planet named Chulak. But Stargate Command would work VERY well, since it comes from the original movie and will most likely be needed for any sequels. All of the Trekgate stuff wont be back...no ships, no beaming or space battles. Brad stole all of that from the Trek shows which were competing with Stargate at the time SG-1 was being made.

It's going to be hard trying to invest in a new show when there's so many threads left dangling from the others though.

It will be easy for me. :) The MOST important thing in stargate is the stargate, where it was found, what it does, and who is using them. Stargate Command will be needed too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sorry mate this is going off topic but this is a pretty good video :D I assume this is made by you because it has the name overmind in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oi5dVJiuzw&feature=related

Yes, I made that. :) I have been asked to update it with the cancellation so I will probably do that soon. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
IIRC, Emmerich and Devlin both did not like the direction Wright and Glassener took with the show. It is unlikely that they would choose to use any of that canon or even consider it when making the sequels they want to make. Most of SG-1 created stuff in the canon that should never have been there (but was still cool to watch and get into). Those things would be the definition of the aliens who take over human bodies like Ra in the original film. They did not become parasites or symbiotes or "Goa'uld" until SG-1. There were no rules about how long the gate could remain open, and the snakeheads were not a race called the Jaffa from a planet named Chulak. But Stargate Command would work VERY well, since it comes from the original movie and will most likely be needed for any sequels. All of the Trekgate stuff wont be back...no ships, no beaming or space battles. Brad stole all of that from the Trek shows which were competing with Stargate at the time SG-1 was being made.

It will be easy for me. :) The MOST important thing in stargate is the stargate, where it was found, what it does, and who is using them. Stargate Command will be needed too.

I'm not really sure MGM will go back to them for the next incarnation of Stargate though. And yes I know SG1 modified a lot of things from the film but I was fine with that. I thought the film was good but nothing special - it was the TV show that actually got me hooked and that's why I'm concerned about a new canon. No offense to the film but its not the kind of thing I'd be hyped about if a sequel was announced as it just didn't impress me that much. Plus when you look at Emmerich and Devlin's current output you want them nowhere near a franchise you care about.

So yeh hopefully whoever MGM decide to hire to make a new Stargate is a fan of the older stuff. Most likely they'll leave it and wait for new pitches, so it could be a Battlestar type deal where a completely new interpretation is born.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I'd actually like to see a reboot of the whole thing, back to square one. Of course Jack & Daniel would still be there and the Stargate would still be discovered at Giza and now operated by the Air Force, but everything could be different. I don't know about you guys, but between all the ships and superweapons it just felt like a giant Earthwank. Part of the reason I liked SGU was because it was set on a ship far away from Earth with no Daedalus being able to swoop in in the last minute and save the day. Then you can of course discuss the show's many flaws of the show until the end of the world, but I don't know about you guys, but I've got better things to do.

This whole reboot talk actually made me think on which actors I'd like to see playing Jack and Daniel in an eventual reboot. Hmm... I think Adam Baldwin (Firefly, Chuck) would be a good choice for Jack while Gareth David-Lloyd (Torchwood) could play a good Daniel.

G

Graybrew1

He, he,
I always thought it would be funny for them to have Kurt Russell lean over James Spader in a hospital bed and tell him........You were in a coma are you okay, and all of the tv shows were just Daniel's coma induced dream. From there they could have the new team members take over from them and Whalah, new show.

Don't bite my head off too hard, it would be one route to go, it would just really p#@ off a whole bunch of people. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
He, he,
I always thought it would be funny for them to have Kurt Russell lean over James Spader in a hospital bed and tell him........You were in a coma are you okay, and all of the tv shows were just Daniel's coma induced dream. From there they could have the new team members take over from them and Whalah, new show.

Don't bite my head off too hard, it would be one route to go, it would just really p#@ off a whole bunch of people. :P

That would be cool! They could easily do it, and pass the torch to a new duo to replace Jack and Daniel. But the SG Team and all of the stuff we saw in SG-1 would be dumped. They could actually still use Atlantis as a flying city-ship, but take out the Wraith and Pegasus. Find the city submerged on Earth instead.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
He, he,

It's similar to my little idea of making all of SGU replicator mind torture.

More seriously, Stargate is probably going to need a relaunch a la Star Trek 09. Too much has happened in the "canon" timeline to be able to pick it up without being very insiderish, thus making it hard to pick up new fans.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's similar to my little idea of making all of SGU replicator mind torture.

More seriously, Stargate is probably going to need a relaunch a la Star Trek 09. Too much has happened in the "canon" timeline to be able to pick it up without being very insiderish, thus making it hard to pick up new fans.

1000% agree with that. I dont see another way around it. A clean sweep. But there still will need to be a Jack and a Daniel.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
1000% agree with that. I dont see another way around it. A clean sweep. But there still will need to be a Jack and a Daniel.

That's why I look to Star Trek 09 as the model. Create a bridge story to get us back to Jack and Daniel and off we go.

Of course knowing modern Hollywood executives we'll get Jack and Danielle and hot romance instead...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
That's why I look to Star Trek 09 as the model. Create a bridge story to get us back to Jack and Daniel and off we go.

Of course knowing modern Hollywood executives we'll get Jack and Danielle and hot romance instead...

:(:puke:

I don't even think you need Jack and Daniel to be honest.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Meh I'm still not sure I'd be that interested in a reboot. Jack and Daniel are RDA and MS for me; that's why I found them 10x more appealing than the film versions.

We say a reboot is necessary but Atlantis launched just fine despite the complex backstory. Universe also explained the premise of Stargate pretty cleanly before moving on - so theoretically it can be done. Star Trek works because its been decades since those original series stories were told - here it would be rehashing way too soon.

A reboot in the near future is far from certain though, it could be 5 years before they get a project off the ground; MGM has other properties they can bring to television in the meantime.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
He, he,

Ugh. And then it continues to show that that entire scene was just the fantasy of an autistic boy who has a snowglobe with a replica of the hospital they were in. :facepalm: