YJ02

Well Known GateFan
SLING TV on roku-and other devices

so they offer packages of diff tv networks, so you can get more of what you want and less of all the other channels that you don't but still get charged for with sat or cable

and the other bs they put on you. ex: directv charges me two diff sports charges, one for local games and the other for some channels that i never have watched

it is a 'community' kind of charge where everyone pays something to keep it cheap when really they are just running up your bill

the ONLY reason we have directv is for my wife's korean stations, most of the programming is now available online (thru roku) with dramafever, viki, and other sites.

she can also get a lot of korean stuff on youtube--again on roku
<and we just got two ROKU tvs which, in our low tech opinions are stinkin' awesome!! :) >

<yt tends to not pay so much attn/doesn't get reported to foreign stuff and it tends to stay up>

so what do any of you think? should we ditch directv and get a sling package?

my concern is what happened a few yrs ago when some app was aggregating tv content then selling access to it through an app. they got taken to court and lost. is SLING going to stand any legal tests?

https://www.sling.com/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
SLING TV on roku-and other devices

so they offer packages of diff tv networks, so you can get more of what you want and less of all the other channels that you don't but still get charged for with sat or cable

and the other bs they put on you. ex: directv charges me two diff sports charges, one for local games and the other for some channels that i never have watched

it is a 'community' kind of charge where everyone pays something to keep it cheap when really they are just running up your bill

the ONLY reason we have directv is for my wife's korean stations, most of the programming is now available online (thru roku) with dramafever, viki, and other sites.

she can also get a lot of korean stuff on youtube--again on roku
<and we just got two ROKU tvs which, in our low tech opinions are stinkin' awesome!! :) >

<yt tends to not pay so much attn/doesn't get reported to foreign stuff and it tends to stay up>

so what do any of you think? should we ditch directv and get a sling package?

my concern is what happened a few yrs ago when some app was aggregating tv content then selling access to it through an app. they got taken to court and lost. is SLING going to stand any legal tests?

https://www.sling.com/
Sling has been around for a long time. Longer than Netflix even. I think it's stable.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Sling has been around for a long time

they themselves say they have only been operational since this spring

but i did notice them on my roku before that-i think it was a more narrow service then

my only concern is no dvr/on demand features. the have a "3 day replay" option that comes with it

no dvr is no deal breaker though

i found out they are a division of dish network so that keeps the operation 'legal' and not have happen what happened to that other service

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
they themselves say they have only been operational since this spring

but i did notice them on my roku before that-i think it was a more narrow service then

my only concern is no dvr/on demand features. the have a "3 day replay" option that comes with it

no dvr is no deal breaker though

i found out they are a division of dish network so that keeps the operation 'legal' and not have happen what happened to that other service

Maybe a different Sling?