Siri/Echo/Alexa and Google Home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chevron Atlantis, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Chevron Atlantis

Chevron Atlantis Well Known GateFan

So I just came across this yesterday by watching a show on TV and they were showing the new amazon echo and it's kinda creepy that it reminds me of Haal 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. I for one think its a bit stupid but they have something similar on Star Trek with the computer. It hasn't taken off here yet but do you guys think this will be a flop like google glasses?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
  2. heisenberg

heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

lol I just posted this on the chat window. :p.

3. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

This won't be a flop. It is the future. Right now these things are still in their infancy but they will advance quickly over the coming years. I played around with a UE MEGABLAST which has Alexa integration. It's just fun talking to a speaker trying new things with it. Still very limited for now, but you can ask Alexa to sing happy birthday which is kinda fun and you can ask it to rap for you and it'll do a rap about itself being the baddest AI in the cloud and such. I tried asking it to sing 99 bottles of beer but it didn't know that one unfortunately. You can also ask it to tell you a joke, but the jokes are a bit lame. I haven't had any experience with Siri or Google Assistant. I was hoping to have a Google Pixel 2 by now but the fucker O2 asswipes rejected my application for the phone contract for whatever undisclosed reason.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

No! I have an Echo Dot (the mini version of the Echo with all of it's Alexa functions) I have had it for more than 8 months, and have enabled skills on it to add calendar entries to my Google Calendar, set my home and work addresses (to give me a travel estimate), maintain a shopping list, etc. You can set timers or alarms or reminders by voice easily, and with most smart modules you can control outlets and switches and some whole devices.

I made a thread on these devices. I think that the Google Home mini is going to be better for me.

5. heisenberg

heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. Lord Ba'al

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Tripler

Tripler Well Known GateFan

I can see Alexa or Google working for my daughter as she lives a pretty hectic lifestyle being in the movie industry . Xmass is coming and I could surprise her ...
    ;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Lord Ba'al

That Giorgia Cam AI experiment is pretty awesome. I could do that all day. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Overmind One

The Amazon Echo and Dot have an audio out jack which means you can connect it to your stereo system or more powerful speakers (or PC speakers). The Google Home or Mini has no audio out but the speaker onboard is WAY better. The Google Home has more capability in terms of being an assistant though. I believe either of them will talk to smart devices and smart plug and switches. Both cost the same.

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/threads/google-home-mini.28618/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Overmind One

11. yongjin02

yongjin02 Well Known GateFan

i am choosing the Luddite option (for now)

:)