Shirley Temple Black dies at 85

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
America's first sweetheart, Shirley Temple Black, has passed away at her California home. She was known for her optimistic movies and brought cheer to many during the Great Depression of the 1930's- both of my parents talked fondly of seeing her movies when they were children. She left Hollywood after marrying (at about 20) and managed to forge a career as an American Diplomat- serving as amabassador to Ghana, Czeslovakia (sp?) , as well as training State deparment employees in protocol.

She was an example many child stars would do well to follow- no drug use or drinking, no kids out of wedlock, just a 55 year marraige to the same guy (he passed away in 2005), and she found a way to have a life after hollywood!

A friend of mine commented- "how low we have gone - from Shirley temple to Honey boo-boo!" too true! :P

RIP Shirley Temple - you were always a class act!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
America's first sweetheart, Shirley Temple Black, has passed away at her California home. She was known for her optimistic movies and brought cheer to many during the Great Depression of the 1930's- both of my parents talked fondly of seeing her movies when they were children. She left Hollywood after marrying (at about 20) and managed to forge a career as an American Diplomat- serving as amabassador to Ghana, Czeslovakia (sp?) , as well as training State deparment employees in protocol.

She was an example many child stars would do well to follow- no drug use or drinking, no kids out of wedlock, just a 55 year marraige to the same guy (he passed away in 2005), and she found a way to have a life after hollywood!

A friend of mine commented- "how low we have gone - from Shirley temple to Honey boo-boo!" too true! :P

RIP Shirley Temple - you were always a class act!

I absolutely LOVED Shirley Temple, as did my brother and sister. We remember when she became an ambassador to Africa and she surfaced in the news from time to time. What a unique, special talent she was. RIP Shirley!

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Even my daughter was shocked to hear of her passing, and she's never been a "girlie" type of kid.

Rest in peace, Little Miss Moptop. You will be missed. She had an amazing amount of energy and somehow managed to put on a face of being good natured but firm. That's something that's something difficult to pull off, as so many of us know.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
My mom has a Shirley Temple blue glass momento from the 30's. Keep in mind this was before they cranked out toys and trinkets like they do now so this thing is actually pretty cool.

Off the top of my head (with murky details) I recall that Shirley Temple was up for the role of Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz. I can't remember why she didn't get it but I do know the studio shoehorned her into The Bluebird of Happiness which was the same type of fantasy, "There's no place like home!" kind of schmaltz that The Wizard of Oz was.

Goddamn, I'm older than I thought.:moody: