SG-1 Season 03: General Discussion Thread

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
On season 3 now

I didn't notice this the first time, nut in "rules of engagement" after "CPT Rogers" is at the SGC and returns to the planet where his SGX unit is, he is wearing a kevlar helmet cover that has a 24th Infantry Division "V" on it's sides.
(would have been interesting to see these men in a future ep-like see if they used their "training" when they got back to their home planet or in some other way)

This was required for all members of the 24th division-at Ft Stewart GA- to paint on their kevlar camo covers,

the division was reflagged to the 3rd Infantry Div in 1992-93, after which the thousands of cam covers and other unit distinctive gear would have been auctioned off

it seems that the wardrobe ppl for SG1 at least got one helmet cover

perfectly meaningless for the 99% of you on here of course- tom me it just shows how this stuff gets around

just like some of the other props they have-like the old junk "Gamma Goats" we see from time to time just outside the SGC (like the ep when the "Tolan" were brought to Earth-when Sma takes the one guy for a walk they are standing next to one of "stupidest vehicles ever"

just funny-to me if no one else

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
On season 3 now

I didn't notice this the first time, nut in "rules of engagement" after "CPT Rogers" is at the SGC and returns to the planet where his SGX unit is, he is wearing a kevlar helmet cover that has a 24th Infantry Division "V" on it's sides.
(would have been interesting to see these men in a future ep-like see if they used their "training" when they got back to their home planet or in some other way)

This was required for all members of the 24th division-at Ft Stewart GA- to paint on their kevlar camo covers,

the division was reflagged to the 3rd Infantry Div in 1992-93, after which the thousands of cam covers and other unit distinctive gear would have been auctioned off

it seems that the wardrobe ppl for SG1 at least got one helmet cover

perfectly meaningless for the 99% of you on here of course- tom me it just shows how this stuff gets around

just like some of the other props they have-like the old junk "Gamma Goats" we see from time to time just outside the SGC (like the ep when the "Tolan" were brought to Earth-when Sma takes the one guy for a walk they are standing next to one of "stupidest vehicles ever"

just funny-to me if no one else

Gamma Goats would be the ULTIMATE off road vehicle if it ever made it to the civvies. Most uncomfortable vehicle in the military if you ask me. I saw one too many of them roll down inclines laterally, with people inside. Or even worse, making the tumble with a howitzer hitched to it. :anim_59:

I have not caught up on a rewatch of SG-1 and it was my favorite series of the three. Perhaps I will do this soon? Im just so freakin BUSY!!!!!!!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i signed up for the amazon prime deal--the first 30 days are free-hey maybe i can cram all of sg1 and sga in the next 3 wks
:crazy homer face:

but i'll probably keep it, at 79 for the yr it is cheaper then netflix

i absolutely hated the gamma goat-the most asinine vehicle ever made. before i was a driver and had to sit in the back, there was no way of commo with the driver or tc. if something happened you were screwed

had to drive on with the truss on for a couple of days at NTC (Ft Irwin CA)-the front tire went flat so we swapped the middle tire for it and put the truss kit on the middle susp. talk about bs and checking your vehicle every time we stopped

no windshield no roof on the cab and loud as hell

i pitied the MI people who had to deploy with their Gamma Goats. they had special rigs on the back with their direction finder and antennae attached. they were due in the hmmwv with the special kits but they didn't arrive before Desert Shield. they did get them after we got to saudi though

talk about a morale booster--the media and shows on history or the military channel talk about how versatile the hmmwv is, what they miss is what it replaced and how much of a leap it was from the jeep and GG.

i thought this the first time i watched a little over a yr ago (i had a deal with graybrew after i met her at syfy sgu thread; i forget what started it but basically i agreed to watch all of sg1 and sga to see why sg fans were so disappointed with sgu if she agreed to watch all of bsg) that there could have been plenty of material for at least an 11th season-just on 'follow up' shows on what some of the more memorable side characters were doing for their worlds, etc. "Cpt Rogers" and his crew were one (did they join the Ori or fight them?), the kids from the ep in season 3 where the children had "learning" nannites that they gave away to the rest of their population --now that they educate the nannite deprived did the kids we saw still have an ability for doing big things?

also thought that some of the possibilities for any future show could involve Cassandra since from "1969" we know that she did become involved in the SGC when she grew up. Also the female whiz kid cadet that carter took under her peerlage and the other jack-the asgard clone-if he is a clone of jack and would therefore have the same inclinations as him, would his future involve the SGC as well? they could easily do a show with these three characters

:fredflinstone::wilma:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, they really do have the potential to either redo the series, or do a modern take on it, or go JJ Abrams and just do it in another timeline, or as you say a futuristic show. They could also take a serious tone with it; it's entirely within the realm of possibility with good writers. Make a mature show, no, not teenage hormone crap/BSG style crap. More gritty realism like Nolan/District 9 and with likable characters. Think most sci-fi fans come back for the likable characters. But then again, sci-fi fans are easily taken in with sex appeal as well. Personally, I'd prefer a serious show with average-looking but intelligent people over serious show with good-looking idiots. And actual intelligence, not pseudo-intelligence. Would be cool to have a 'Spock' of this generation of TV, but think that's not gonna happen.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, they really do have the potential to either redo the series, or do a modern take on it, or go JJ Abrams and just do it in another timeline, or as you say a futuristic show. They could also take a serious tone with it; it's entirely within the realm of possibility with good writers. Make a mature show, no, not teenage hormone crap/BSG style crap. More gritty realism like Nolan/District 9 and with likable characters. Think most sci-fi fans come back for the likable characters. But then again, sci-fi fans are easily taken in with sex appeal as well. Personally, I'd prefer a serious show with average-looking but intelligent people over serious show with good-looking idiots. And actual intelligence, not pseudo-intelligence. Would be cool to have a 'Spock' of this generation of TV, but think that's not gonna happen.

I agree with this. But dont we need to reel back to the original Stargate story? Even if Roland and Emmerich do not do it, it seems to me that a new movie could EASILY do the Daniel Jackson/Gen O'Neill Stargate story as well as introduce SG-1 in the same movie.

Abrams 2009 Trek movie did what none of the other Treks did. They re-cast original characters as well as the Enterprise and in effect the entire Trek universe. They only needed to explain the change in timeline and make the connection for continuity. The rest will unfold in an entirely new direction. They have this opportunity with Stargate IMO.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Think I'd prefer tv series rather than movies. Think SG universe just fits tv format better for some reason to me. I mean they could reboot the origin story in a fashion similar to BSG mini-series. It sorta had movie-quality and would be a good sort of evaluation test or something, to see if it generates interest.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Think I'd prefer tv series rather than movies. Think SG universe just fits tv format better for some reason to me. I mean they could reboot the origin story in a fashion similar to BSG mini-series. It sorta had movie-quality and would be a good sort of evaluation test or something, to see if it generates interest.

Yeah, you are right. Make the first episode a two parter as is the tradition of Stargate, and you still have a movie. :) Every time I see Atlantis: Rising 1 and 2, I feel like it is a feature film.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
last i read on the stargate movie issue-about a year ago-it seems that that spader and russell have some serious control over it-either by ownership or by fiat-as in, the film TPTB are giving them the time and latitude to do any second movie the way they what. Russel and Spader want to do it earth-bound. they use the stargate to find the lost city of atlantis or some such place. in this 'verse', the sg only goes to Abydos.

with a "spock character" for this generation; spock-cool and intelligent was the "man" for the 60's. now, i fear this type of popular character would be more like a character from "idiocracy" then anything else; he would be finding faster ways to text and place nude pic's of his genitals on line while discussing the latest bubble gum pop or "pro" wrestling event. that what todays kids would think as cool.

besides "follow up" shows like i said above, i would also like to see the "history" of the ancient-go'auld interaction. we know the go'auld are parasites,even with their tech. so is their tech entirely ancient derived? did the go'auld begin taking humans as hosts because they thought all of them had the same qualities as the ancient strain of humans. instead of ascending or fleeing to pegasus, did some of the more "Earthly concerned" or slightly evil ancients choose to blend with go'auld to seek their own brand of immortality? Clearly the "unas" did not have the tech to build ships and weapons, so the go'auld didn't get it from them.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so, IMO i gotta say the first ep with good comedic touches--esp the interplay of personalities- has got to be "crystal skull"

i know you are saying "no it was Urgo". urgo was just irritating, a throwaway ep that did nothing more but give a role to the director's daddy

i know it has been said so many times by now, so much that it has become cliche in its own right, but I believe the most stable and central character of the series-other then the gate-is Teal'c. i can not understand why christopher judge has not secured more substantial roles for himself-to go from sg1 and his sga spots to being one of bane's henchdudes in batman is just sad

i see he has been working on a show of his creation "rage of angels". looks like it could be a good one. mgm dumped him and it but now Directv and a studio for starz is backing it-hope something comes of it and i am glad i have directv if it does.

and why oh why did TPTB and RDA allow the writers to do so much "O'Neill bashing"?. Ok so he is military SF type. Well to be in any type of SF you can not be just any shmeiser who can get in the military. You need to have very good scores on the asvab and a great service record if enlisted. Excellent above the milieu in physical fitness and agility and the ability to think fast. The Oneill character would need all of these and since he is an officer- he would have also had to have been a Bachelor's degree holder. The days of battlefield commissions are long gone (there may have been a couple in Vietnam but they may have only been temporary-well all battlefield comm's are temporary, reserve only promotions anyhow) so ONeill would of had to have been a college grad before being commissioned. But yet we always see him getting "beat up" by the others around him. He would have at least a working knowledge of the field of sciences and humanities as a grad. but he seems to be shown as barely having hs knowledge.

and of course jackson is shown to have the stereotypical "academic stupor" that posits that those with his level of educ and intell. lack common sense. that does get irritating after a bit.

Oh yeah--they use the "with all do respect" line wayyyy too much- i do not think i ever heard anyone say that in my 20 yrs in the army. when you say "sgt, sir, captain, etc" you are already saying "with all do respect" by the proper use of title.

also, when addressing more then one officer, the proper term is not "sirs" it is "gentlemen" or "ladies". its in the regulation. if one is more senior then you only address the senior, if of equal rank and one is female you say "sir and ma'am" . if the female is senior and there are 5 male officers present you only say "ma'am"

ppl do say it-"sirs" that is and get pounded if anyone is around who gives a $hit (like a sgt)

just saying..it is military science fiction, they paid so much attention to getting other stuff right don't know how they missed this.

i know "picky,picky"
:loyal:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
last i read on the stargate movie issue-about a year ago-it seems that that spader and russell have some serious control over it-either by ownership or by fiat-as in, the film TPTB are giving them the time and latitude to do any second movie the way they what. Russel and Spader want to do it earth-bound. they use the stargate to find the lost city of atlantis or some such place. in this 'verse', the sg only goes to Abydos.

with a "spock character" for this generation; spock-cool and intelligent was the "man" for the 60's. now, i fear this type of popular character would be more like a character from "idiocracy" then anything else; he would be finding faster ways to text and place nude pic's of his genitals on line while discussing the latest bubble gum pop or "pro" wrestling event. that what todays kids would think as cool.

besides "follow up" shows like i said above, i would also like to see the "history" of the ancient-go'auld interaction. we know the go'auld are parasites,even with their tech. so is their tech entirely ancient derived? did the go'auld begin taking humans as hosts because they thought all of them had the same qualities as the ancient strain of humans. instead of ascending or fleeing to pegasus, did some of the more "Earthly concerned" or slightly evil ancients choose to blend with go'auld to seek their own brand of immortality? Clearly the "unas" did not have the tech to build ships and weapons, so the go'auld didn't get it from them.

I don't know man. I'm kinda partial to the whole doing a movie idea because on one hand, they could generate a global interest in all things stargate by bringing it to the big screen and potentially getting tv interested in doing stargate capitalizing on potential success of a movie, but on the other hand, I have not seen a good sci-fi film in ages. I mean don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't seen enough sci-fi, I just haven't seen a good full-blown sci-fi film in forever. Almost all of them turn out to be some derivative horror and/or someone(s) turns into a crazy psychotic killer. Oh yeah, there was District 9 though; that one was good.

LOL, you're absolutely right about our generation, why I try to disassociate as much as possible. LOL good eval.

Yeah, ancient first ventures out into space and beyond would be an excellent show. The Go'auld were kinda meh to me, but maybe could be interesting - seeing the journey to becoming a villain.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I don't know man. I'm kinda partial to the whole doing a movie idea because on one hand, they could generate a global interest in all things stargate by bringing it to the big screen and potentially getting tv interested in doing stargate capitalizing on potential success of a movie, but on the other hand, I have not seen a good sci-fi film in ages. I mean don't get me wrong, it's not like I haven't seen enough sci-fi, I just haven't seen a good full-blown sci-fi film in forever. Almost all of them turn out to be some derivative horror and/or someone(s) turns into a crazy psychotic killer. Oh yeah, there was District 9 though; that one was good.

LOL, you're absolutely right about our generation, why I try to disassociate as much as possible. LOL good eval.

Yeah, ancient first ventures out into space and beyond would be an excellent show. The Go'auld were kinda meh to me, but maybe could be interesting - seeing the journey to becoming a villain.

As long as we don't end up in Camelot world every time they walk through the Stargate. It got tiring and made it too obvious they were recycling sets to save money.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
As long as we don't end up in Camelot world every time they walk through the Stargate. It got tiring and made it too obvious they were recycling sets to save money.
Yeah, they should look to foreign writers. Think good writers are able to write within a budget and demonstrate far greater creativity.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

The "Renaissance Fair" look of SG was recycled more times that the styrofoam "planets" of ST.

4606074479_e7904cb7ee_m.jpg

*BTW, I love how this guy is cleaning off the "rock" before they shoot the scene. :anim_59:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

and the character of merlin. why go with that? i mean why not go "yes, i am the one that you know as merlin but i am really..."

as far as newer scifi-i too dislike the way they blend genres (sci fi/horror) but especially when it doesn't come off good.

i liked PANDORUM. i just tried to focus on the sci fi, "escape from dying earth" bits and the whole idea of a genetic "noahs ark" thing. i guess we get these types of films now because someone thinks ppl are burnt out on aliens (?) who knows?

but yes unfortunately TPTB make movies and shows to make money (duh!) and as a consequence we got to deal with the "tastes" of the target audience group. i am a little older then that group but have interacted with them enough (as a recruiter-and as a "non traditional" college student) to know that I dont like what they like (except most of the music) let's just "bet the farm" on all things are cyclical thing and that maybe in our old age we will get sci fi the way we like it again
:fredflinstone:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, and most of my generation seems to have ADD. Need edginess/shock and awe, no matter how bad, to keep continued interest.