SG-1 movie would have revealed the Stargate

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I mean, sitting back and OBJECTIVELY looking at SGU, there were some fine ideas in there, and the "Darker tone" was fine imo, but the execution, timing, pacing, PR et al were just stupid. Alot of people have spoken very highly of the last 10 eps of SGU, hell, we even had people "convert" to the SGU cause, but really, how much better were they? Sure they picked up pace, but as noted elsewhere, that to me seems to be an artifact of smashing storylines togeather to make the series "appear" faster. More action? sure, but that detracts from the original slower premise that the series started with. (hence you now have SGU stalwarts proclaiming S1 the best and S2 was going down for being more SG1/SGA in format.)

A silly waste of some good ideas :(

I would agree with this for the most part. It's probably moot for us to opine too much on "what could have been". I'm trying to look forward and think about what could be.

Yes, there were some interesting ideas in SGU but as you say the execution was what ruined it. Shame really.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I would agree with this for the most part. It's probably moot for us to opine too much on "what could have been". I'm trying to look forward and think about what could be.

Yes, there were some interesting ideas in SGU but as you say the execution was what ruined it. Shame really.

And this, more than anything else, even the death of SGA and all the foolish commentary by TPTB is what really annoys the crap out of me. :(

S

Stonelesscutter

This would have been the final SG1 movie though, realistically speaking. So I'm not really sure it would ruin the feel - Atlantis would still be away from Earth and it doesn't really effect Destiny at all.

Atlantis was in the San Fransisco bay area the last time I checked.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I mean, sitting back and OBJECTIVELY looking at SGU, there were some fine ideas in there, and the "Darker tone" was fine imo, but the execution, timing, pacing, PR et al were just stupid. Alot of people have spoken very highly of the last 10 eps of SGU, hell, we even had people "convert" to the SGU cause, but really, how much better were they? Sure they picked up pace, but as noted elsewhere, that to me seems to be an artifact of smashing storylines togeather to make the series "appear" faster. More action? sure, but that detracts from the original slower premise that the series started with. (hence you now have SGU stalwarts proclaiming S1 the best and S2 was going down for being more SG1/SGA in format.)

A silly waste of some good ideas :(

Agreed it would have been fun it was more adventurous whilst exploring other planets. And for once using the bloody stargate in almost all of the episodes.

Yes, and also the ZPMs were depleted, werent they? I dont remember.

I believe they still had the cloak on. Didn't they? :( :( :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmCKzVSLUsQ

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
I assume that they would have taken it back to Pegasus in the Atlantis movie. It seems unlikely they'd keep it on Earth for ever.

yep and according to mallozzi burning out the wormhole drive in the process.... deus ex machina anyone? :facepalm:

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Just reboot Atlantis but have it be in space and make it airtight so it doesn't have to use the shields, and do a babylon 5-esque show with Atlantis.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
Just reboot Atlantis but have it be in space and make it airtight so it doesn't have to use the shields, and do a babylon 5-esque show with Atlantis.

i think ive read a fanfic that was like that... it wasnt bad but it wasnt good either.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

They could just do a new show. Set it on an outpost created by Earth as they explore a galaxy further away than Pegasus. In fact the whole show could be about humans trying to live up to their title as the '5th race' by exploring, learning and interacting with the Universe. It would be an easy way to include past characters as part of the show as well. Wouldn't interfere with the canon of Atlantis, Universe or SG1 either. It wouldn't really be Deep Space Nine or B5 either since exploration rather than politics would be key.

My other idea would have been to mix all three shows into a miniseries. First act takes place on Destiny, with a new team sent there three years after the finale. Stuff happens, we move to the endgame of SGU and the big reveal means big things across the entire Universe (think super powerful race or something). Act 2 moves the action to Atlantis/Earth (not in the same place) where the team plus surviving Universe cast return and preparations are made to deal with this incident. Act 3 is the big finale mixing parts of all three shows.

Either way the show would be called Stargate: Legacy. [Note: Wish Tron hadn't put a sour taste on the name].

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
They're really beaten down 'superior race' to death, you know? Ancients were underwhelming. But I think that exploration angle would be great. They've kind of beaten down the mystery of the milky way too much and have gotten too powerful, the humans. Maybe if they were in a desperate state, like a post-apocalyptic state, they could get back that underdog angle, you know what I mean? Rough and scruff remnants of the human race or something trying to overthrow their destroyers or something.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
They're really beaten down 'superior race' to death, you know? Ancients were underwhelming. But I think that exploration angle would be great. They've kind of beaten down the mystery of the milky way too much and have gotten too powerful, the humans. Maybe if they were in a desperate state, like a post-apocalyptic state, they could get back that underdog angle, you know what I mean? Rough and scruff remnants of the human race or something trying to overthrow their destroyers or something.

Yeh but I'm sure there's an interesting way for them to create a viable threat based on the endgame for Universe. My main idea was to have that endgame feed into repercussions for Atlantis/Earth therefore creating a good miniseries that ties everything together. The first idea is far more viable now though and the one I'd go with for a series.