Sense 8 -Wachowskis and J. Michael Straczynski on Netflix

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
to put it on a 'confusion/incoherence scale' was it higher or lower then THE FOUNTAIN?

"The Fountain"? I have never heard of this....is it to be feared and loathed? :hide; :P

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
"The Fountain"? I have never heard of this....is it to be feared and loathed? :hide; :P

It's a weird film with Hugh Jackman playing the lead role in 3 different time periods. In the end, he discovers immortality and ends up flying through space for all eternity in a giant snow globe:

SnowBall-EGL067-.jpg

... with a magic tree that contains wife's soul.

It's pure artsy fartsy. You can also throw The Time Traveler's Wife in that bunch.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

it is another one of those 'classic' "could have been much more only if..." movies

i liked the historical tie ins, but you had to know the history as there was very little intro (ex?: you have to infer that the queen is Isabella and that the Jackman character is one of the early conquistadors of mexico)-you also needed to know the mythological backstory of the "fountain of life" here morphed to a tree

the lack of this coherence made it a "squishy" movie whose best parts end up being the visuals of ancient mexico and deep space travel

again, they never "tell" us that the Jackman character has become immortal and that is why he has been able to make his last voyage. your left to decide on your own if he and Rachel Weis are the same character-in 3 time periods-having become immortal from his 'find' in mexico. or if they are separate character not connected over time

watch it on netflix or something-don't pay for it
--- merged: Apr 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM ---

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i figured i'd put this here as it is a more recent thread regarding NETFLIX

for all i know--and this time I do not care to research "who" "they" are--they could be an AMAZON or HULU stooge for all anyone knows

but leave it to disconnected, conniving, speculative-gushing, "i want to make money from other peoples money instead of doing actual work myself" stock market type to try and derail what is ,IMO, a growing and popular entity-NETFLIX in particular and their original programming

http://www.thestreet.com/story/1190...s-dead-on-arrival.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Arrested Development--after 6 yrs gone now re-born on Netflix. I never watched it but it seems it was a 'hated' show and that just the work of a dedicated minority brought it back to life.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/last-arrested-reborn-monday-netflix-125915618.html

I am sure the "save SGU'S" will use this as a battle cry--though I do admit, as with other things (posted above) NETFLIX is doing this also shows "hope" for some of our favorite shows and genre

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Arrested Development--after 6 yrs gone now re-born on Netflix. I never watched it but it seems it was a 'hated' show and that just the work of a dedicated minority brought it back to life.

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/last-arrested-reborn-monday-netflix-125915618.html

I am sure the "save SGU'S" will use this as a battle cry--though I do admit, as with other things (posted above) NETFLIX is doing this also shows "hope" for some of our favorite shows and genre

Arrested Development had sort of a cult following. It was one of those off-beat, weird sitcoms that came out in the 2000's. Although I usually like weird, off-beat humor this show never did it for me. I don't hate it, but I just never got a connection to it the way I did with Malcolm in the Middle for instance.

For good or bad though (mostly for bad) we have these 2 shows to thank for all the weird sitcoms today. Raising Hope, In the Middle, Modern Family -- their collective comedy style is derivative of these 2 earlier shows. They don't do it nearly as well though so it just feels weird for the sake of being weird. For instance, the dads in these new shows are always neurotic but in a supposedly cute way. To me it just comes off as forced and tired though.

As for Netflix rebooting shows I think that's cool and hope it works well. I just hope they don't reboot really tired, dumb shows that deserve to stay buried, that's all.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Arrested Development had sort of a cult following. It was one of those off-beat, weird sitcoms that came out in the 2000's. Although I usually like weird, off-beat humor this show never did it for me. I don't hate it, but I just never got a connection to it the way I did with Malcolm in the Middle for instance.

For good or bad though (mostly for bad) we have these 2 shows to thank for all the weird sitcoms today. Raising Hope, In the Middle, Modern Family -- their collective comedy style is derivative of these 2 earlier shows. They don't do it nearly as well though so it just feels weird for the sake of being weird. For instance, the dads in these new shows are always neurotic but in a supposedly cute way. To me it just comes off as forced and tired though.

As for Netflix rebooting shows I think that's cool and hope it works well. I just hope they don't reboot really tired, dumb shows that deserve to stay buried, that's all.

This posting by me was not about the specific show--never watched it and don't give a hoot about it--ut another example of NETFLIX making moves in response to fan,a cultish, show groups.

If they will do it for this show then surely they will move on bigger and more widely accepted stuff, like the whole sci fi genre--as we see with the Wachowski and J.Mike Strac deal.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
*chants* firefly, firefly, firefly. Just need to get people to stop watching Castle and all the other people that are possibly working from the crew.

Did you see in the article how when filming new "arrested" shows they relied heavily on green screening to make it appear as if multiple actors were present? A good way to work around availability and scheduling of actors.

Also, we know from Blood and Chrome-(regardless of the actual performance outcome) that an entire show/series can be made without a traditional set. Just "lift it" from the digitized old shows.

Bluce Ree

Did you see in the article how when filming new "arrested" shows they relied heavily on green screening to make it appear as if multiple actors were present? A good way to work around availability and scheduling of actors.

Also, we know from Blood and Chrome-(regardless of the actual performance outcome) that an entire show/series can be made without a traditional set. Just "lift it" from the digitized old shows.

If you don't mind subtitles, watch this movie. It was filmed in 2005 almost entirely on green screen by film students in Finland in their apartment using off-the-shelf hardware all financed with a few bucks from their pockets. The effects are well worth it and puts Blood and Crap to shame.

http://starwreck.com/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If you don't mind subtitles, watch this movie. It was filmed in 2005 almost entirely on green screen by film students in Finland in their apartment using off-the-shelf hardware all financed with a few bucks from their pockets. The effects are well worth it and puts Blood and Chrap to shame.

http://starwreck.com/

looked quick-looks good, watch it later

and I wasn't "Extolling" the quality of the performance or delivery of B&C-I didn't like it

I was just using it as an example of the process that can be used--so many ppl still have it in their heads that a stage needs to be filled with actors and elaborate sets to make a movie, and that is just not the case.

Bluce Ree

looked quick-looks good, watch it later

and I wasn't "Extolling" the quality of the performance or delivery of B&C-I didn't like it

I was just using it as an example of the process that can be used--so many ppl still have it in their heads that a stage needs to be filled with actors and elaborate sets to make a movie, and that is just not the case.

I got what you were saying. I was just showing you how it can be done well without a big budget or fancy studio-grade equipment. There's a "making of" video as well where you can see just how big the green screen was and how they put all the actors in the same place at once using it. There are a few scenes where they filmed outside or in a bar or some old factory, for example, but most of it is on green screen.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I got what you were saying. I was just showing you how it can be done well without a big budget or fancy studio-grade equipment. There's a "making of" video as well where you can see just how big the green screen was and how they put all the actors in the same place at once using it. There are a few scenes where they filmed outside or in a bar or some old factory, for example, but most of it is on green screen.

I think all methods of going against the grain of Hollywood and the like are great. Whether a bigger player like Netflix or a small op. It is an awesome way of telling the "giants" that we are not satisfied with what they have to offer.

Bluce Ree

I think all methods of going against the grain of Hollywood and the like are great. Whether a bigger player like Netflix or a small op. It is an awesome way of telling the "giants" that we are not satisfied with what they have to offer.

I'm ok with green screen but they need to up the quality of how it's used in some productions. Look at how poorly it was done in Sanctuary, for example. The Finnish gang above did a better job in 2005 with PCs from an apartment.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm ok with green screen but they need to up the quality of how it's used in some productions. Look at how poorly it was done in Sanctuary, for example. The Finnish gang above did a better job in 2005 with PCs from an apartment.

This is my #1 complaint with CGI/green screen, the fact that it can often come off as cartoonish and cheap looking.