Security Flaws

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep.

There are two flaws - one (Meltdown) is having patches issued on Windows and OSX - Windows patched Tuesday and MacOS patched with OSX 10.13.2 which deployed a couple of weeks ago. Chrome needs to still patch and as to *.nixes you need to check the changelog for your distro.

The other is Spectre and it affects every CPU no matter the manufacturer or OEM (so ARM and AMD are affected too). Spectre is both a lot harder to fix and a lot harder to create a practical exploit based on.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah I was about to post this stuff a while back when I heard it but then I never got around to it because apparently I am having computer issues. For some reason my (Firefox) browser lately frequently just hangs (becomes unresponsive) until I kill the process. I'm not sure yet whether it is when I have a Gatefans tab open, but without having one open I havened experienced any such issues. It could be a whole different website for which I had a tab open for a while recently though. Time will tell me more.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah I was about to post this stuff a while back when I heard it but then I never got around to it because apparently I am having computer issues. For some reason my (Firefox) browser lately frequently just hangs (becomes unresponsive) until I kill the process. I'm not sure yet whether it is when I have a Gatefans tab open, but without having one open I havened experienced any such issues. It could be a whole different website for which I had a tab open for a while recently though. Time will tell me more.

So yeah it worked fine for like half an hour, then it hung again. Used task manager to kill it. Reopened, took only a few seconds and then hung again. Repeated, same thing. I have no such issues with other browser tabs or other software. Only whilst I'm actively browsing Gatefans this situation occurs. But when it does happen the entire browser is unresponsive. Has been happening for somewhere between one and two weeks. Maybe this has something to do with a Firefox update or a memory leak or perhaps there was a forum software update or something. I dunno.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So yeah it worked fine for like half an hour, then it hung again. Used task manager to kill it. Reopened, took only a few seconds and then hung again. Repeated, same thing. I have no such issues with other browser tabs or other software. Only whilst I'm actively browsing Gatefans this situation occurs. But when it does happen the entire browser is unresponsive. Has been happening for somewhere between one and two weeks. Maybe this has something to do with a Firefox update or a memory leak or perhaps there was a forum software update or something. I dunno.

Disregard. It just happened while having only one browser tab open and it wasn't Gatefans. Must be unrelated to the site. Perhaps it's the type or amount of data which is frakking up my browser.