Season 7 is where this show begins to fail

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season 8 was pretty forgettable. That said, I did like Prometheus Unbound simply because they knowingly played it as semi-comedy and Claudia Black was hilarious (this is the episode where we first met Vala) and had a good repartee with Michael Shanks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh yeah? Show me a woman who has squeezed out crotch fruit that hasn't had her kitty turned inside out like a bag of Cheetos on Superbowl Sunday. :stung:

My new nextdoor neighbor just had her baby 6 months ago and she is a knockout. Breasts not sagging (but a lot bigger because of her nursing), tight body, and she wears tops that bare her midriff and she still has her abs. I cannot speak about her kitty since I think her husband would have a problem with that, but I would venture to say that it does not look as if it smoked an exploding cigar. :shame: :anim_59:

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
My new nextdoor neighbor just had her baby 6 months ago and she is a knockout. Breasts not saggig (but a lot bigger because of her nursing), tight body, and she wears tops that bare her middriff and she still has her abs. I cannot speak about her kitty since I think her husband would have a problem with that, but I would venture to say that it does not look as if it smoked an exploding cigar. :shame: :anim_59:

I suspect that your next door neighbor and my primary care physician are both a couple of decades younger than Amanda Tapping.

I am unwilling to pay real world money to download this article just to win an Internet argument.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2017/07/24/bjsports-2017-097964

One of tonight's episodes ("Citizen Joe") is where they introduce those heinous magic stones that ultimately contributed to SGU being such a shit show. This episode was written by Robert C. Cooper, the guy responsible for said shit show (along with Brad Wright). We can put a pin in this one marking where the cancer began to metastasize.

In retrospect it's sad to see that Rob Cooper had (and probably still has) a neurotically masturbatory attachment to these magic stones as a plot device. SGU wouldn't happen for years following this episode but obviously he still considered it a great idea which is why he crammed it into SGU and made it a central pillar of the show. The guy was so arrogantly blind that he didn't even realize how bad it was when they had Eli and Chloe (the whore) use the magic stones to travel back to Earth to go nightclubbing, get drunk, have a chick fight over an ex-bf, and then a make out session in a car.

Good Lord, what a pile of shit that man is capable of writing. Sure he's written some good stuff, but the magic stones, ugh! :moody:

*The guy who voices Homer Simpson guest starred in this one. And as a stand-alone episode it isn't that bad. But the magic stones should have been forgotten about after this one as the more they featured them the more their ridiculousness was exposed. A good writer would have stopped himself and reconsidered the ridiculousness of the premise, especially when it came to writing scenes where characters were using them to go back to earth to have sex in other people's bodies. That isn't even remotely plausible as something that would be allowed to happen, ever.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Oh my!

"Tapping's gargantuan, potato-birthing hips strained the limits of the denim she was wearing. And her un-secured breasts dangled beneath her blouse like a pair of deflated, sexless udders."

Well, she wasn't THAT bad, dayamm. I love Amanda Tapping. She is creative, smart, and funny. :) I do think that SGA did not need to add her in there at any point, but I especially hated seeing her in SGU even once.
She was in SGPOO POO ? Holy s g poop . I never new that ! Better give me a winner ribbon for that comment . Shows I did not watch that pos crapfest ...
;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
She was in SGPOO POO ? Holy s g poop . I never new that ! Better give me a winner ribbon for that comment . Shows I did not watch that pos crapfest ...
;)

She appeared for five minutes in the premiere episode.

Season 9 started on Comet. It's at this point that the show was completely overhauled. O'Neill is out and Landry (Beau Bridges) is in as General. And Ben Browder takes the lead as "Cam Mitchell". Bridges is a natural in the role of patriarchal commander. Browder on the other hand brings a ham and cheese sandwich approach to the role he plays. Granted, he's supposed to be the wise-crackin' replacement to Jack O'Neill so it's understandable that his character is written that way. Plus he's bringing his shtick from Farscape, so I can't really hate on the guy too much. His performance isn't bad, it's just very forced to fit into the already established SG-1 story. The writers obviously wanted to endear him to the fans as quickly as possible.

Claudia Black also joins the cast as "Vala" and she does an amazing job right out of the gate. They gave her some hilarious lines to spout: "I'm pregnant." "The reason you (men) go through the stargate is to meet women." Michael Shanks does a fairly good job of playing her foil. As we all know Daniel Jackson can be a real douche but luckily the writers decided to make him more comedic by this point, so that is a welcome relief.

They also brought in Lexa Doig to play both the doctor and Landry's daughter. Clearly the writers intended to use this familial dynamic to create (needless) drama in future episodes. From what I recall they failed on that part because it was a dumb idea and no one gave a hard turd about that lame character anyway. And also because Doig is a huge bore. Sorry guys, but she is. I don't care how "hot" she looks, there's something incredibly dull and unappealing about her. In every role she plays she blends into the wallpaper. (Apparently she married Michael Shanks which is fitting because they clearly deserve each other.)

Also, they started the Ori/Merlin story line. The King Arthur thing is kind of dumb and makes it hard to suspend one's disbelief. There's also a shitload of Renaissance Fair crap going on by the second episode of the season, and it's not going to stop. Plus they have fully employed those heinous "communication stones". At this point we are stuck with them, sigh. :moody:

roflbot.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Ori were a great concept but the execution was borderline incompetent. Unlike the Goauld who masqueraded as gods but had no powers the Ori as ascended beings had very real and very strong powers - in many ways they actually were what the Goauld pretended to be.

Unfortunately, the way the story unfolded they felt like Ming the Merciless. And Adria was just too much like a female Damien (from The Omen). A far better way to do them would have been still have them craving "worship" but also have them be benevolent rulers of their Galaxy - at least that way you can setup a moral dilemna.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to disagree on Lexa Doig. I've seen her in SG-1, Continuum, Andromeda, TekWar and some spot roles. Her SG-1 character was just poorly written and given almost nothing to do. Her Sonya character in Continuum by contrast was a lot of fun to watch, as she was in parts brilliant but also capable of major league viciousness. And her work on Andromeda as the AI of the sentient ship was also very well done, with her playing as many as three roles in the same episode and making them all feel distinct.

Okay they're onto season 10 now. Despite them using Vala as the conduit for the ridiculous "Fast-growing-alien-baby" gimmick she pretty much stands out as the best character in the show. The writers give Claudia Black a lot of great lines that she expertly spouts. It's funny because the other actors/characters are left orbiting her in just about every scene she's in. (There's one crack she makes about Woolsey sexually harassing her that is downright hilarious!)

At any rate, it's a couple episodes into season 10 and Lexa Doig is missing in action. No idea if she was dropped in this season or what. But no matter as she wasn't good in the role and she's definitely not missed.

The one weird thing so far (other than the stupid alien baby story line) is the crossover episode with SGA "The Pegasus Project". The episode wouldn't have been bad had they not been such assholes to McKay. Seriously, they beat the shit out of the character right from the get-go with a condescending verbal assault. Obviously McKay is written to be a bitchy, snarky man-child but their ganging up on him in this episode was bad writing all around. Literally every response to anything McKay said was a withering put down. I mean every single thing he said. It's like the guy couldn't catch a break despite the fact that he was right about the physics of their operation. Such bad writing, but at least it didn't destroy the entire show.

Okay, Comet TV just finished the final episode of season 10 of SG-1 (they've aired "The Ark of Truth" a few times already). Next week they switch to airing episodes of SGA.

Despite the fact that SG-1 completely switched stories and characters at the season 9 mark it actually was quite good for the most part. The Merlin stuff and Renaissance Fair shtick was hokey, and ripping off Star Trek was a bit egregious, but it was still a fun show. The writing became a lot more humorous and Claudia Black really shined. It's kind of a shame that they didn't do at least one more full season because there was more they could have mined with her character. (Cam Mitchell not so much.)