Season 7 is where this show begins to fail

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Replicators were good up to and including the episode "unnatural selection". They went off the rails starting with their next appearance and Repli-Carter was just silly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Replicators were good up to and including the episode "unnatural selection". They went off the rails starting with their next appearance and Repli-Carter was just silly.

The first appearance of them was very cool. I just got tired of them bringing it back.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's why I liked "unnatural selection" - it was the natural followup to the Asgard acquiring the body of the Reese android and it also had an interesting story.

Okay, we got to the end of season 7 where Jack downloads the Ancient's library into his head (again) and then defeats Anubis by using the magic chair in the antarctic. It wasn't a bad ending for the season but I know that nonsense is sure to come.

*The scene with the Prometheus fighting Anubis's fleet and mother ship was, again, a Star Trek ripoff in that they kept whining about their shields failing. ("Shields are at 10%! One more hit and we'll be taken out!") Annoying shit indeed.

Okay, season 8 started. O'neill, who had his brain scambled with the Ancient repository and then was frozen, then got defrosted and saved by Thor (again...again). So instead of putting the guy under medical observation for the rest of his freakin' life the government sees fit to promote him to general and also gave him command of the SGC. Yeah, the guy's brain is the equivalent of split pea soup but let's give him power and control over a volatile device of epic proportions, cuz, like, that's exactly what should happen in this scenario. :rolleye0014:

As for "Carter", Amanda Tapping wore a bad wig, peasant blouse and mom jeans for a long dream sequence. It was kind of sad to see how ravaged her body had become due to squeezing out some crotch fruit. Giving birth is a beautiful thing, isn't it? -- No, it's not! That was a trick question. Don't be so damn gullible! Tapping's gargantuan, potato-birthing hips strained the limits of the denim she was wearing. And her un-secured breasts dangled beneath her blouse like a pair of deflated, sexless udders. In terms of "Sexual Market Value" Tapping had clearly hit the wall at this point. You can put a pin in her SG1 career right here to mark when she goes from "sex kitten with a gun" to "desperate cat lady in the making". Yes, it's sad, but that's what happens when you're born with a vagina.

roflbot.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, season 8 started. O'neill, who had his brain scambled with the Ancient repository and then was frozen, then got defrosted and saved by Thor (again...again). So instead of putting the guy under medical observation for the rest of his freakin' life the government sees fit to promote him to general and also gave him command of the SGC. Yeah, the guy's brain is the equivalent of split pea soup but let's give him power and control over a volatile device of epic proportions, cuz, like, that's exactly what should happen in this scenario. :rolleye0014:

As for "Carter", Amanda Tapping wore a bad wig, peasant blouse and mom jeans for a long dream sequence. It was kind of sad to see how ravaged her body had become due to squeezing out some crotch fruit. Giving birth is a beautiful thing, isn't it? -- No, it's not! That was a trick question. Don't be so damn gullible! Tapping's gargantuan, potato-birthing hips strained the limits of the denim she was wearing. And her un-secured breasts dangled beneath her blouse like a pair of deflated, sexless udders. In terms of "Sexual Market Value" Tapping had clearly hit the wall at this point. You can put a pin in her SG1 career right here to mark when she goes from "sex kitten with a gun" to "desperate cat lady in the making". Yes, it's sad, but that's what happens when you're born with a vagina.

roflbot.jpg

Oh my!

"Tapping's gargantuan, potato-birthing hips strained the limits of the denim she was wearing. And her un-secured breasts dangled beneath her blouse like a pair of deflated, sexless udders."

Well, she wasn't THAT bad, dayamm. I love Amanda Tapping. She is creative, smart, and funny. :) I do think that SGA did not need to add her in there at any point, but I especially hated seeing her in SGU even once.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I likewise really like Amanda Tapping. That said, this episode was definitely part of the show flying off the rails with its Replicator in puppy love plot coupled with the advent of Repli-Carter.

Oh my!

"Tapping's gargantuan, potato-birthing hips strained the limits of the denim she was wearing. And her un-secured breasts dangled beneath her blouse like a pair of deflated, sexless udders."

Well, she wasn't THAT bad, dayamm. I love Amanda Tapping. She is creative, smart, and funny. :) I do think that SGA did not need to add her in there at any point, but I especially hated seeing her in SGU even once.
I likewise really like Amanda Tapping. That said, this episode was definitely part of the show flying off the rails with its Replicator in puppy love plot coupled with the advent of Repli-Carter.

Yes, the "artificial life form desiring to become human" plot line is beyond annoying. It's been done to death. And having a glorified robot "fall in love" with a (questionable) MILF was dumb. So was trying to pass Tapping off as a nubile hottie when in reality she had become a middle-aged "Mombie" with a freakishly distorted body aesthetic at that point. The whole thing was just lame and insulting.

The bigger problem is of course the use of the Replicators as a plot device again again again again again. And of course let's not forget the use of the Replicators as a plot device. Again...again ;)

Sigh, such lazy, shitty writing. If they're not openly ripping off Star Trek with their use of the cheap version of the Enterprise, i.e. the Prometheus, they are reusing their "derivative" version of the Borg story line and just calling them Replicators.

Now if I recall correctly they had a version of the Replicators show up on SGA at one point, didn't they? And as for Tapping/Carter appearing on SGU I honestly don't remember that. But that isn't surprising as I have tried to block the horror that was that televised abortion from my brain. I do recall that Carter was fairly useless in SGA though. It was kind of sad to watch her play a potted plant for an entire season. This wouldn't have been so bad had her looks not gone completely into the shitter by that point. I mean, if you're gonna have a shrill PTA mom as a major character at least give her something to do story-wise. Even Rodney McKay, who had once found Carter such a turn on that he fantasized about drugging and raping her, now found her a bore, both intellectually and physically. That's how much the writers had allowed the character to atrophy. Why MGM/Sony was giving those writing hacks a paycheck at that point is beyond me. They certainly didn't deserve one.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, the "artificial life form desiring to become human" plot line is beyond annoying. It's been done to death. And having a glorified robot "fall in love" with a (questionable) MILF was dumb. So was trying to pass Tapping off as a nubile hottie when in reality she had become a middle-aged "Mombie" with a freakishly distorted body aesthetic at that point. The whole thing was just lame and insulting.

The bigger problem is of course the use of the Replicators as a plot device again again again again again. And of course let's not forget the use of the Replicators as a plot device. Again...again ;)

Sigh, such lazy, shitty writing. If they're not openly ripping off Star Trek with their use of the cheap version of the Enterprise, i.e. the Prometheus, they are reusing their "derivative" version of the Borg story line and just calling them Replicators.

Now if I recall correctly they had a version of the Replicators show up on SGA at one point, didn't they? And as for Tapping/Carter appearing on SGU I honestly don't remember that. But that isn't surprising as I have tried to block the horror that was that televised abortion from my brain. I do recall that Carter was fairly useless in SGA though. It was kind of sad to watch her play a potted plant for an entire season. This wouldn't have been so bad had her looks not gone completely into the shitter by that point. I mean, if you're gonna have a shrill PTA mom as a major character at least give her something to do story-wise. Even Rodney McKay, who had once found Carter such a turn on that he fantasized about drugging and raping her, now found her a bore, both intellectually and physically. That's how much the writers had allowed the character to atrophy. Why MGM/Sony was giving those writing hacks a paycheck at that point is beyond me. They certainly didn't deserve one.

I was laughing all the way through this. :smiley-laughing021:

"she had become a middle-aged "Mombie" with a freakishly distorted body aesthetic at that point."

:rotflmao::smiley-laughing024::laughing::shep_lol:

amanda15.jpg

All kidding aside, Amanda was largely responsible for the large audiences of SG-1 and it's longevity. There were no other female lead actresses who were playing smart parts and was not somebody's sidekick. Because she was such a great character, they used her to "salt" episodes which were weak. They also threw her into SGA when it dipped. But her appearance in SGU was only to give it connection cred, which it squandered in the third episode.

Her physical appearance was not as much of an issue for me as it seems to have been for you. :) I always thought she was "cute", but I never thought of "sexy" until Vala came along. It was her brilliance as Carter that was so cool about her, to me. I think her role suffered when she appeared in SGA as a ghost with Rodney in that downed puddle jumper. And in SGU it was like...huh? I still miss her character.

OMG, this show is like a dog turd festering on a sidewalk in the sun. After getting an okay episode where we see O'Neill settling into command of the SGC we then get an episode featuring a redundantly effete Daniel Jackson. He is stuck on a planet in the middle of a civil war and the entire episode pretty much revolves around him changing his tampon every few minutes. To call this episode tedious would be a kindness.

Then we get an episode where Teal'c is trapped in a video game. Good God, please stick a butter knife through my ear canal and into my cranium, then twirl it about. I just can't even... :rolleye0014: What's worse is that even though they finished the Anubis story line they still had the costumes for his "Super soldiers" lying around and felt the need to use them -- a lot. Yeah, actors running around in black leotards and motor cycle helmets, that's really scary. :rolleye0014:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
OMG, this show is like a dog turd festering on a sidewalk in the sun. After getting an okay episode where we see O'Neill settling into command of the SGC we then get an episode featuring a redundantly effete Daniel Jackson. He is stuck on a planet in the middle of a civil war and the entire episode pretty much revolves around him changing his tampon every few minutes. To call this episode tedious would be a kindness.

Then we get an episode where Teal'c is trapped in a video game. Good God, please stick a butter knife through my ear canal and into my cranium, then twirl it about. I just can't even... :rolleye0014: What's worse is that even though they finished the Anubis story line they still had the costumes for his "Super soldiers" lying around and felt the need to use them -- a lot. Yeah, actors running around in black leotards and motor cycle helmets, that's really scary. :rolleye0014:

yup

ditto

i really liked, loved even, all the "middle seasons", but 7 started getting bland to parched pretty quick

and later

i like the actors; Claudia Black and Ben Browder, but i also feel they were only cast to capitalize on their on screen 'chemistry' from FARSCAPE-which had just finished on SYFY -or SCI-FI

i like the actors; Claudia Black and Ben Browder, but i also feel they were only cast to capitalize on their on screen 'chemistry' from FARSCAPE-which had just finished on SYFY -or SCI-FI

Yes, it was definitely stunt casting of sorts with Black and Browder. But I didn't mind because they were good on the show for the most part and gave it some new life. (Browder as "Cam" was a bit over the top with smarmy-ness at times and it was clear they were writing him to be a replacement for the sarcastic, indifferent O'Neill.)

OMG, I'm watching the "Teal'c Gets an Apartment" episode right now! I forgot how 1990's soft racist it was. It's chock full of white people who play along with the disgusting "shuck and jive" tone of this episode. And every scene seems to involve angry white criminals popping out of the woodwork that Teal'c has to school in a way that gets him props from the white bread neighborhood.

Unfortunately his physical prowess doesn't get him any white pussy despite the fact that he goes out of his way to help the manipulative white tramp living next door to him. Like most thin, attractive white women in their 20's she uses her sex appeal in an exploitative way. Teal'c has no idea that she's already placed him firmly into the "friend zone". The idiot has yet to figure out that he's not gonna get any "white sugar", cuz, well, she's a devious bitch who isn't into beta males. And since Teal'c is being written by a pathetic, pasty white beta simp he's definitely a beta male. It's a shame that our Jaffa friend ain't never gonna get that sweet sweet tang blanca. ;)

Okay, this episode is getting so bad that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it all the way through it. The laughably cardboard abusive boyfriend of the tramp next door has just turned up dead and Teal'c is suspected of killing him. How odd that a white writer immediately pegs the black character as a killer. No worries though as I'm sure Teal'c will be acquitted in the end thereby proving that the writers of this episode (and this show) are not racist. It was just a coincidence that the only black guy living in a lily white neighborhood was profiled as a killer. Just. A. Coincidence. Please stop asking questions.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
...As for "Carter", Amanda Tapping wore a bad wig, peasant blouse and mom jeans for a long dream sequence. It was kind of sad to see how ravaged her body had become due to squeezing out some crotch fruit. Giving birth is a beautiful thing, isn't it? -- No, it's not! That was a trick question. Don't be so damn gullible! Tapping's gargantuan, potato-birthing hips strained the limits of the denim she was wearing. And her un-secured breasts dangled beneath her blouse like a pair of deflated, sexless udders. In terms of "Sexual Market Value" Tapping had clearly hit the wall at this point. You can put a pin in her SG1 career right here to mark when she goes from "sex kitten with a gun" to "desperate cat lady in the making". Yes, it's sad, but that's what happens when you're born with a vagina...

I have seen some women who looked good after giving birth. Those women were either athletes or otherwise very physically active. I have been told that the trick is to not starting having sex after birth until one is good and ready, at least according to an experienced doctor.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
...i like the actors; Claudia Black and Ben Browder, but i also feel they were only cast to capitalize on their on screen 'chemistry' from FARSCAPE-which had just finished on SYFY -or SCI-FI

They did not have any on-screen interaction, except for that one episode when the aliens went to the high school reunion.

Claudia Black's character on Farscape was a 1000 times more serious than any character on SG-1 or Atlantis.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh God, tonight's episode is the one where Teal'c's son gets married, i.e. "Teal'c Goes to a Wedding". Someone please, give this show a diaper cuz it's shitting itself again. :facepalm:

I still have not gotten over "Teal'c's son". I mean, that was actually worse than Worf's son Alexander.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There is nothing that "looks good" when it comes to a prolapsed vagina and saggy breasts. Nothing.

Lots of women do not get affected in that way.