Scientists find way to make ageing clock stop ticking

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Finding a way to stop the ageing process has been an elusive, age-old dream. Now scientists from Australia and the US believe they have not only found a way to press pause – but to rewind the ageing process as well.

While the study was conducted using mice, molecular biologist David Sinclair from the University of New South Wales and Harvard University said the findings were significant and could have implications for the treatment of age-related diseases such as cancer and type 2 diabetes.
In the study, the Sydney researchers used mice that are considered equivalent to a 60-year-old human and older mice, equating to a 90-year-old human. A control group of mice were fed a calorie-restricted diet.

The results, outlined in the scientific journal Cell on Friday, were better for the younger mice, which were able to rewind the ageing process within a week. The treatment effectively transformed a 60-year-old into a 20-year-old on some measures, including the degree of muscle wastage, insulin resistance and inflammation.

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sc...top-ticking-20131220-2zohf.html#ixzz2nybRXRyy

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Meh....Im for advances in health and science, but not for defying the natural order of nature. People were not meant to live forever. This sort of technology is going to eliminate any support for social security or pensions, and it would make life insurance companies redundant. I do not trust the claims being made by the scientists doing this research. I see it as the trailer for a new (expensive) manmade drug...yet again. Acai isolates anyone?

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
eternal life/atleast double my lifespan? FOOK YES what do i sign and where.... THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So we find a way to increase lifespan but don't do anything about the growing population?

And what about the disparity between those who can afford the "fountain of youth" and those who cannot?

Fascinating really as we are seeing many fictional scifi stories now playing out as real.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
What would Einstein have discovered if given 100 years to research?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Meh....Im for advances in health and science, but not for defying the natural order of nature. People were not meant to live forever.

People were also not meant to resist certain viruses, bacteria, disease and infections or even live as long as we do now yet here we are. Aging is nothing more than a disease and should be approached that way. There are animals that never age, like lobsters and clams. Then there are others that live centuries, like tortoises and bowhead whales. These animals almost never die of old age. They die due to other causes (i.e. disease, infection, etc).

Bluce Ree

So we find a way to increase lifespan but don't do anything about the growing population?

And what about the disparity between those who can afford the "fountain of youth" and those who cannot?

Fascinating really as we are seeing many fictional scifi stories now playing out as real.

I wouldn't worry about "affording" any of this. If it's something that gets a patent, it'll be available from China and India for pennies on the dollar AND easily accessible. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I wouldn't worry about "affording" any of this. If it's something that gets a patent, it'll be available from China and India for pennies on the dollar AND easily accessible. :icon_lol:

Then that still begs the question of how to handle a growing population that is longer lived? More people + longer lives means more (finite?) resources being used. :daniel_new004:

roflbot (3).jpg

Bluce Ree

Then that still begs the question of how to handle a growing population that is longer lived? More people + longer lives means more (finite?) resources being used. :daniel_new004:

Au contraire, my good brother. I believe it would force innovation through necessity. Maybe that's the kick we would need to get our asses out to the stars. Private corporations would most likely be the first to achieve extra-terrestrial travel and even a viable lunar or martian colony with bidirectional travel.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I don't know about you guys, but I want to be around when we go for another space race. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone doing anything anytime soon. At least, not in the US anyway. I can only think China that may come close to it.

B

Backstep

What would Einstein have discovered if given 100 years to research?

Maybe he would have given up on chasing the mind of god and fixed the problem with infinity's in his earlier works?

imo, the universe does roll the dice.