Science Fiction was about the Future of the human race but now it is about the destruction....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heisenberg, Oct 26, 2016.

1. heisenberg

heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

Science Fiction was about the Future of the human race but now it is about the destruction of our race and everyone around us. so what changed? How did Science Fiction which was about promoting optimism of the human race and a better world tomorrow, but what changed to make it turn so nasty and dark?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

Why didn't I see this earlier? This is a GREAT topic. And yeah, I agree...why did the thrust of science fiction become so bleak and post-apocalyptic? It's almost a given that we destroy ourselves in these flicks, only to re-form a post modern primitive tribal culture in the ruins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Joelist

Joelist I'm showing this for a reason! Staff Member

Both the darker and lighter Science Fiction have been around from the beginning. Right now darker seems more popular but things can change.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. heisenberg

9-11 happened which changed everything. Not only that but after 2005, things started to go down south pretty quickly with the explosion of ecommerce.Science fiction and fantasy went about creating a bright future to a destructive/dystopian society/1984 George Orwell...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Chevron Atlantis

Chevron Atlantis GateFans Member

At the moment, it's an era about 'Space Opera', Fantasy, 'Dark Fantasy' not about 'Utopian Science Fiction and or about Science Fiction' Personally, all of that post apocalyptic stuff bores me to death that's why I never got into the rebooted Battlestar Galactica (:cylon-pancarte04::cylon-pancarte04::smiley-015::smiley-015:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Overmind One

For me, the rebooted Battlestar Galactica failed because it was basically a dramatic work set in space, instead of an exodus story about a civilization being displaced. I was much less interested in who the female Starbuck was having sex with than I was about the Cylon war. Also, making the Cylons humanoid ruined that for me because it removed the machine vs Man element from the story for the most part. I WANTED to see robotic Cylons. But by far the worst effect of the rebooted BSG was the false interpretation of studios and production companies of NuBSG as being some sort of benchmark or bar to meet on the scale of "good" vs "mediocre". Sure, it did look good visually, but storytelling took a huge nosedive.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. heisenberg

The sad irony is that those dark fantasies/themes are the ones that are becoming fact rather than fiction of what we are led to believe will come true . You don't think that robots one day might turn against us?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Tripler

Tripler Well Known GateFan

Wow ... Just one more way for someone not to get any exercise lol ... Cool setup tho and much quicker than a human trying to find a specific item ...

;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

Yeah I imagine the average waiste size of the Amazon warehouse employee will start to increase now.

Nice spin on the "we don't use technology to replace people but to make their jobs easier for them". That's just phase one. Testing. Once that phase is complete and the results are good, they'll start letting people go slowly but surely.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Overmind One

No. That is because we build them, they do not evolve and think and we will never be able to give them that ability.

11. heisenberg

We built them but someone out there will make it turn against us. Remember, we are intelligent being because we were given a lot of time and adapted to whatever nonsense mother nature has thrown at us. We adapted because we were thrown in the deep end. My guess is that life must have been really cruel in the prehistoric period, where everything was scarce and we have survived whatever crap we were thrown at. We are no different than the other carbon based lifeform - it's just that the crap we were thrown at, we adapted and survived and quite quickly might I add. Yes, natural selection does have its fair share of causalities but it's like a virus or a bacteria, all it takes is one small variation to develop an immunity and we can pass that onto others...Remember, It is through our struggles in life of why we became selfaware, developed consciousness, thought, wisdom, values, language and developed a better understanding of the world around us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Overmind One

Yes, but machines are NOT alive and they never will be. We will never give a machine the ability to think or create because we do not understand how WE are able to think and create. Why would anyone want to create a sentient machine? Science fiction is one thing, but there is just no incentive to create a sentient robot or computer.

13. heisenberg

The future will mean that the current rate of human race will be 'phased out' of existence. You are right to say that robots won't turn against per say but that doesn't mean that Robots with manmade parts won't. Yes I am talking about Skynet. Deus ex style. Certain types of people will be phased out because everyone will have to go through psychometric testing and see if they are fit for a job. It's already happening today.

Machines may not be alive but we will like Deus ex style augment with machine and soon, we will have a new type of being which will be very cyber organic. The future will be very clean but also you'll have to be extremely careful what you do and where you go.

Infact, there won't be an overwrite button unless you get approval. The future will be extremely organized and will be based on achieving almost 100% efficiency all the time.There will be very limited freedom and you will be categorized into risks and by freedom I mean, you must play by their rules by they I mean the main computer.Obviously the higher up you are, the greater risk you carry. It's the same with how they do risk management today at any given organisation.

Emotions will be controls and regulated by a computer which will send signals to our brain to regulate dopamine levels. Eventually, emotions will simply be turned off genetically, meaning that we probably won't be human at that stage. We will then develop a being through genetic engineering by taking all the good bits from other organism and building a closed loop perfect entity that is neither man or machine but both that will repair itself, that is resistance to everything and that learns and adapts. Like we are doing with GMOs today. Infact, our imperfections, shortfalls, diseases will be wiped off.

We will simply become exchange of currency; tagged with rank, status, and then categorized into knowledge and expertise. We will simply be able to upgrade and pass on our analysis onto a computer which will compute our findings and then further store that into a database for it to spread.

Infact, we are already setting a path down that road already. A lot of our culture is being phased out or has been phased out. The language we speak will be very sophisticated and very fluent and will be a variation of the english language we know today. The only thing that will be organic will be our brains and we will be able to transplant to transfer over memory to another drone or borg. Even then, it maybe that our brains will be made up of nanotech. If you haven't noticed already, this is where our society is heading. Though to be fair, this has been our longest obsession. It's been trying to re-create ourselves and funnily enough organically, the PC liberals act just like this..

Now that's a show to watch :)

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  14. Overmind One

There is no reason to give robots or AI the ability to use emotion for reasoning or critical problem solving. That means that "threat", "jealousy" and "anger" will never come into play, and those things are necessary for there to be a reason to attack another being. The fourth element would have been "hunger", but with a robot that does not factor in. And people will not be phased out. Skills will. There will be no need for people to sell things, or be cashiers, or greet people or stock goods or many other things being done by unskilled labor. There will never be a need to "phase people out", at least not human beings.

Brains and emotions will always only belong to human beings and other living beings, not robots.

Well, that assumes that there will be some "company" which is given the power to control people. Efficiency...at doing what? There is no need to monitor any "efficiency" (based upon criteria set by those in control) unless we are talking about profit, and I think that capitalism will collapse as it always has in the past. As pervasive as it might seem, using money in society is a relatively new thing introduced by outsiders. Money is valueless. Only labor and goods are valuable, and only intrinsically. If you have an apple in one pocket and a $100.00 bill in the other pocket, which of those two things has actual "value"? Computers will never be put in a position to control humans, no matter what science fiction shows us. It's fun to speculate, but it will never come to pass.

:) I don't think so.

Not much faith in Humanity, I see! From my perspective, those who would want such a system in place are themselves dying off and will be gone. The 1% are the least capable of exercising control over others in any meaningful way other than controlling their financial income. The collapse of capitalism would make all of them instant paupers. What is added to society or Humanity by a person who has no skills, does not work, and owns acres of land and has expensive cars and planes and boats bought with inherited money? Nothing. Those people are the ones who will be eliminated, not the "masses" who are doing all the ACTUAL work.

Interesting concepts! I really don't see some of it ever coming to pass, but I do see major change. The fall of capitalism will change everything globally. The 1% will become poor instantly. Nobody will have an incentive to rob, steal, scam, lie for a sale, kill for an inheritance or do things they don't want to do because they need money. Wall Street will collapse because it will become instantly irrelevant. When people work, it will be for themselves and they will reap the rewards of their work directly.

15. heisenberg

It's not but we will be integrating with AI and Robots like Deus ex style. We will first replicate our organs and then after that develop biomechanical parts that will basically be an improvement from how we designed it, without the flaws such as general wear and tear. The nano tech will allow to self replicate, self heal and self adapting. Who knows, we may even integrate with other carbon based stuff such as plastics, rocks etc which are resistance to pretty much everything.

For the most part yes, but remember, memories, bad memories, depression and our moods etc are all chemical but something wrong with the programming. The computer will regulate it by releasing and regulating the amount of dopamine sent to our brains to make it feel good. This is how antidepressant work. They help regulate the dopamine level.

Value is down to our intelligence. Our pursuit has been to amass knowledge so we can make better decision, make predictions, make calculated risks/use computer algorithms to extrapolate the future. Our species is hungry for knowledge. We pass on our skills genetically through having offsprings.

Remember, our species has been through evolution because its existence must have been under threat due to famine. We have cracked and discovered science through observation and that knowledge was passed on. We stopped evolving mechanically, about 70k years ago but that doesn't mean that we have stopped evolving. I always think that growing up is a process of evolution. The things we hear/smell taste and life experience is all part of evolution. We go through evolution our brain too but it's slow. Our intelligence is what keeps growing and growing because we amass wealth of knowledge.

Having been in this world for long enough, I can tell you first hand that our emotions is what get's into trouble. We are trying to forget our past. Can I ask you this, do you give a shit about the black plague or whatever happen eons ago? Better yet, can you remember? Sure it's in the history books, but our past history shows how evil our species is and that's why we are trying to wipe it from history. We simply adapt and learn from those mistakes and not to carry out those again by erasing it. Crazy people are just highly emotional people who don't use their logic side. All these silly wars we go to is just for money and just emotions clouding their judgement.

I have not lost faith in humanity. I am just stating that this is the next step towards our evolutionary process.Since we have reach the climax of whatever is possible that normal evolution has taken place,superficially, our evolution takes place in our heads through the knowledge and critical thinking. Our next evolution will be us creating superior beings. Mother nature has told us to carry forward what was started. It is to create perfect lifeform.

It's been a long life goal of the jungle to wipe off the weak and only the strongest survive. The food chain applies to both the distribution of income as well as who stays as the dominate species. The rich stay on top of the food chain because they leach from the bottom. It's up to you whether you want to stay above ground or get leeched up like the rest.

Our species has been through more nonsense than wallstreet crashing. It happened in 1929 to 1939 but it recovered, it's been through WWI and WW2, the cold war the vietnam war and recently the GFC, the current war that's going on, volcanoes, hurricanes etc... Fact is that these wars are emotionally raged and that's what get's into trouble and what stirs up trouble, and you can bet that we will be trying to phase it slowly so we forget and it won't be part of our genetic makeup. Infact, we maybe a being that runs on fusion energy or even just light as an energy source. :) Also note that our culture also goes through changes and what's culturally acceptable now will not be acceptable in 30-50 years and you know that.

We will become a commodity through knowledge.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. heisenberg

One other thing, you and the rest of world thought that brexit couldn't happen nor could trump becoming president but that fantasy/fiction is a reality today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. heisenberg

There is a very good reason why we are told not to steal etc because it does do harm but we exchange instead which has been a more fairer system. Stealing is with Chimps do, Stealing is down to our emotions, people take drugs because they simply are mislead to believe that drugs are great etc. Emotions also make people kill, cause harm to others, blackmail etc...you don't think it's in our best interest to slowly phase this out? I think it is. Emotions also causes us to make mistakes.

It will mean a world of less conflict and although more boredom but our species will be extremely productive rather than produce so much waste.

Our world will be also very well organised with everything following by the schedule and we will be able to travel to the stars, give the exact time of completion of a project, destination.

Infact, we are already seeing this practice in today. If you very well organized, you are bound to be spotless and flawless, almost. The financial system goes through heavy scrutiny in this country and if anyone is caught doing something really shady, they'll get a serious cane wiping from the government body or even have their licence revoked.

Like I said, you and I won't see this happening, but it will be the filthy, filthy rich that are extremely small minority of the human race that is left. It may just be two people or just one that will create the most flawless being.

Don't believe me that emotions cloud our judgement? Well I am facing one issue with one my long term friend who misread a comment and now he thinks that I double crossed him. Do you think any rational thought will work for him? Probably not but I am trying.
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20827831-900-gene-therapy-proposed-to-treat-depression/
    https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/10/22/why-does-emotion-cloud-rational-thought/

I am also not the only one who is having vision :) Remember this movie?

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  18. heisenberg

Maybe I should write a story based on what i think might come true, what do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rac80

Rac80 The Belle of the Ball

I agree with Joelist, there has always been apocalyptic science fiction. HG Wells' the time machine is an excellent example. Ray Bradbury was dystopian as was aldoxus (sp?) Huxley and George Orwell. I admit I enjoy Asimov because overall he had the most optimistic view of the future. (Which is why he developed the 3 Laws of Robotics - to forestall the Frankenstein monster vision of robots that was common before him.) Asimov saw technology as a tool, not as really changing humanity.

As to humanity...I don't see it changing in any major way soon. We still have all of the flaws, foibles, and just plain evil that always existed. Currently I feel I am watching a replay of the 60s' & 70's riots on college campuses. Instead of the left wanting free speech they are rioting against giving others free speech. Europe is ablaze in religious violence, much like the Inquisition years, we are constantly being warned about the next"pandemic", has the world/humanity changed? Plato complained how the "children now love luxury; have bad manners,contempt for authority...". That entire quote can as easily be applied to today as it was applied to 420 B.C. So mankind is still mankind!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Jim of WVa

Jim of WVa Well Known GateFan

Did you know that Gene Roddenberry was as creepy as Bill O'Reily?

I agree with the quoted text. What is more, very few people write or read science fiction nowadays -- everyone is into fantasy: elves and dwarfs and shit.

21. Jim of WVa

Jim of WVa Well Known GateFan

Write the story about Brexit and the future of the EU. :icon_idea: