SCAMS

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
in this situation it doesn't matter, they get your name and ph number from the bank/bank's hired help, then use spoofing to make it look like the actual place is calling you and the number displayed IS the real number to that bank or their agent-like First Data
---------------------------------------------------
as for unlisted numbers, etc

it is still possible to get calls. they just use whatever dialing program needed and target a certain switchboard or cell number group

for example- they get an area code, then a switch then the program begins dialing all assigned numbers starting at 0000

so they will hit, for example, 1-814-772-0000, 0001,0002,etc all the way to 9999

a group of computers running this can go through that many numbers in a day,easily

they get any answer, then the call switches to a live person. you can tell, because there is a slight delay before Raj or Amira pick up and start talking.

added to this, they use spoofing to make it look like someone in town is calling you with that local name (real person) and number

around here, one time they used the local grades school's name and number on the ID

kind of hard to defeat that unless you just don't answer ANY call and kind of hard to convince ppl not to answer when so many have kids or are the designated emergency contacts for the kids

---------------------------
making it worse, in India and Philippines call center jobs are seen as a status symbol of a certain level of social prestige.

they are some very good paying jobs and offer great bonuses like working in modern facilities and AC and flush toilets (a huge bonus in iNDIA where a significant portion of the pop still must use open defecation/urination) child care and well appointed cafeteria

i am sure this overrides any morality issue they may have, even if they do find out they are scamming ppl

many of these centers run legit business as well. a caller may be doing scams in the morning and taking customer svc calls for Frigidaire in the afternoon.

All of that is very possible, and probably in some cases. But this can only happen on the account holder side of the transaction. Yes, scammers can use phishing software, they can robocall you, call your cell, mail you stuff. But they can't use any of that on the bank side of the transaction. They cannot get away with spoofing calls or using scripted scams. You said they froze your cards.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the ACTUAL company has authorization, yes

but, and AGAIN, it is not the actual company calling

and AGAIN, when I asked the bank manager-who I have known since he was born, so I have no reason to not believe him- how they froze my account he told me they do some kind of digital deal. it is not necessary for anyone to call the bank to do it. they just enter something in

it is clear that either the bank or the first data, or both's systems have been compromised

it is further clear that they both need to re eval their systems. in fact, the bank's website has been down since friday morning

the only good thing is that they got no money from me. the only way they would have is if i had given them my acct number. one wonders hw many ppl they did scam though..there is obv some pay off or else they would not be doing it

You posted this when I was writing my last response. Crossed posts! Thanks for the clarification.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
what doesn't make sense?

if you are referring to the banks' 'alert' criteria, well it is what it is, I never got close to their thresholds

The sentence posted immediately after that statement is what did not make sense. This:

the scammers-posing as this Monitoring company that the STAR and PLUS system employs froze it.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I just got 2 calls whilst I was away on vacation and apparently if I don't call back , there will be legal consequences ... Then its ends with the words after threatening me with legal action ( goodbye and take care ) wtf lol ... Who would say that if they were a real legal firm lol ... Sounds like a robot chicks voice ,,,
:beckett_new050:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Here is another scam

Full of Bullshit lies. Unless that thing has a mini fusion reactor, there is no way this is going to replace cpap as a therapy. How this asshole isn't behind bars is anyone's guess.

How CNBC allowed this, hell why the FDA is doing nothing is anyone's guess...

Here is the addressed video on this bullshit invention.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The sentence posted immediately after that statement is what did not make sense. This:

the scammers-posing as this Monitoring company that the STAR and PLUS system employs froze it.

that is precisely what they were doing. for like the billionth time-- I did not put a acct freeze/fraud alert on my acct and neither did the bank

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Here is another scam

Full of Bullshit lies. Unless that thing has a mini fusion reactor, there is no way this is going to replace cpap as a therapy. How this asshole isn't behind bars is anyone's guess.

But it LOOKS so cool! :) (no doubt that is how they are going to sell it). Makes you look like a sports car with a grille! Speeds up your metabolism like a sports car too, and gives you two more inches of...

GUARANTEED!

hqdefault.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
that is precisely what they were doing. for like the billionth time-- I did not put a acct freeze/fraud alert on my acct and neither did the bank

Ok, so no freeze and no money lost, NO PROBLEM! Nothing else can be done. You can't trace them, find out why or where or who. Don't bother, that is all I am saying. :)

Here is another scam

CNBC is the worst. It's basically an infomercial channel much of the time with some pathetically bad financial "reportage" tossed in during the week. As business networks go it's terrible.