Sanctuary General Discussion Thread

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
To call the abnormal in this episode a "rubber masked monster" would be a kindness. Other than that it was a pretty good episode.

It seemed a good respresentation of a sort of flying slug/bug. Remember Sanctuary is not a high $$$ CGI fest.

Next week looks like the week Tesla gets "revamped"....

G

Graybrew1

It seemed a good respresentation of a sort of flying slug/bug. Remember Sanctuary is not a high $$$ CGI fest.

Looks good, I love Tesla. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I don't expect a high $$$ CGI fest for each episode, but neither do I expect to see a guy running around in a laughable rubber mask. A happy medium can be struck you know.

Call me crazy but I should be intrigued by the story. I should not find myself asking where the guy in the rubber bug suit got the black jeans he's wearing.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I watched the same episode and did not see a guy in a rubber bug suit nor that guy wearing black jeans.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well I watched the same episode and did not see a guy in a rubber bug suit nor that guy wearing black jeans.

You must have missed the scene where the guy in the rubber bug suit was on top of the van. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You must have missed the scene where the guy in the rubber bug suit was on top of the van. ;)

It just wasn't as obvious as you are asserting. No doubt the effect is man in suit but it was decently done man in suit.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

LMAO! Just reading that sentence make me laugh because I havent seen it yet. Rubber bug suit? :rotflmao:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's a good episode. This is basically SFX nitpicking.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It just wasn't as obvious as you are asserting. No doubt the effect is man in suit but it was decently done man in suit.

We shall have to respectfully disagree on this point.

I will add that your opinion of Sanctuary is extreme on the positive side. Do you ever admit there are flaws in the show or is every episode a masterpiece? Based on this thread alone it would seem by your posts that this is how you view the show.

(And no, I'm not trying to crap all over Sanctuary. I actually like the show. I'm just trying to call a spade a spade though.)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We shall have to respectfully disagree on this point.

I will add that your opinion of Sanctuary is extreme on the positive side. Do you ever admit there are flaws in the show or is every episode a masterpiece? Based on this thread alone it would seem by your posts that this is how you view the show.

(And no, I'm not trying to crap all over Sanctuary. I actually like the show. I'm just trying to call a spade a spade though.)

No show is perfect, and that includes Sanctuary. There have been episodes I disliked like the Fight Club riff in Season 1, and early in this thread I pointed out I really did not care totally for the Kali storyline (just the thought of Will doing that dance is a good appetite suppressant). With that said, I do think that overall it is a good show that delivers good entetainment and does it on a small budget.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I enjoyed last night's Sanctuary, especially seeing how cool Zimmerman's main squeeze is with things. Nice to see a blonde chick who isn't

A. A swooning piece of cheesecake or

B. A super evil bad guy who either leers meaningfully when only the camera is watching or worse, monologues.

I can't wait for the first time she sees Henry shift.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't expect a high $$$ CGI fest for each episode, but neither do I expect to see a guy running around in a laughable rubber mask. A happy medium can be struck you know.

Call me crazy but I should be intrigued by the story. I should not find myself asking where the guy in the rubber bug suit got the black jeans he's wearing.

OMG! It freakin WAS a rubber bug suit! The mask looked like an old prop from The Fly (the original version, not the new one). And crouching whilst wearing those black jeans was not covering up the fact that he was wearing only half the suit. Did they not have enough money to make him CGI?

S

Stonelesscutter

I didn't find this ep particularly good. In fact it was kinda nagging me. The whole ep was based on the relationships between Henry and whatshername and Will and whatshernametwo. Another so called appointment with Alfredo's in Magnus' name that falls through. Boring! Fail! Magnus didn't come across very nicely, especially in the beginning. Give the gdamn guys a break on their important dates, they're always working round the clock. Bitch! Transporting some abnormal in a box that wasn't meant for it and ofcourse it goes wrong. Cheeeeeese. Everyone saw that coming a mile away. Abnormal can fly but chooses to lock himself into a sewer instead of flying off into the night. Bleeeh. The thing is strong enough to burst out of it's crate and bust through the doors of the van without using the doorhandle but it's scared as hell of a small guy and a girl. Sanctuary is sooo loosing it's touch it ain't funny anymore. I'm not surprised the ratings are going down. The way things are going they probably won't get to air the entirety of season 4 unless they get back in business. My verdict for this ep, 4 out 10.

S

Stonelesscutter

That was Peter Deluise by the way delivering the abnormal. The one who directed the ep as well.

G

Graybrew1

I didn't find this ep particularly good. In fact it was kinda nagging me. The whole ep was based on the relationships between Henry and whatshername and Will and whatshernametwo. Another so called appointment with Alfredo's in Magnus' name that falls through. Boring! Fail! Magnus didn't come across very nicely, especially in the beginning. Give the gdamn guys a break on their important dates, they're always working round the clock. Bitch! Transporting some abnormal in a box that wasn't meant for it and ofcourse it goes wrong. Cheeeeeese. Everyone saw that coming a mile away. Abnormal can fly but chooses to lock himself into a sewer instead of flying off into the night. Bleeeh. The thing is strong enough to burst out of it's crate and bust through the doors of the van without using the doorhandle but it's scared as hell of a small guy and a girl. Sanctuary is sooo loosing it's touch it ain't funny anymore. I'm not surprised the ratings are going down. The way things are going they probably won't get to air the entirety of season 4 unless they get back in business. My verdict for this ep, 4 out 10.

Although I have absolutely no clue what you look like, I could almost picture your face as I was reading this part. This so sounds like the Stone I have come to know.... and quite funny. :biggrin:

G

Graybrew1

That was Peter Deluise by the way delivering the abnormal. The one who directed the ep as well.

I thought I recognized him, he looks good, I remember him being a lot heavier at one time. I used to love him on 21 Jump Street. :)

S

Stonelesscutter

I thought I recognized him, he looks good, I remember him being a lot heavier at one time. I used to love him on 21 Jump Street. :)

Aaaaah! Those were the days. When my friends all watched 21 Jump Street and I didn't. :)

Now you got me wondering with your previous comment about how you picture me. Let's hear it! :D

G

Graybrew1

Aaaaah! Those were the days. When my friends all watched 21 Jump Street and I didn't. :)

Now you got me wondering with your previous comment about how you picture me. Let's hear it! :D

It would have to be a blur with an evil smirk. And a glint in your eye. :P

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just goes to show you can't make everyoner happy. People wanted them to have an episode chasing an abnormal. They do and still grousing.

I really didn't find it boring. It was a riff on a standard chase episode, with some backstory time for Will and Henry. Henry decided the Sanctuary is where he belongs, and Will's gf did not get freaked out by the constant abnormal stuff.

If I wanted to fault anyone here it would be SyFy for the bad scheduling (breaking the season in two like they did has totally robbed the second half of momentum). Plus they move it into an awful timeslot where it has lost roughly half its viewership. I'd also question putting this many "filler" episodes in a row. In a 20 episode season you will have some "filler" eps, but they need to be broken up. Putting them all together like this is making the show feel sort of adrift. Maybe in retrospect Tapping and Kindler should not have agreed to 20 episodes but 13 instead, as this type of show written for a 20 episode season will inevitably have "filler".

Oh well, Season 4 is back to the usual 13 episodes, so there won't be fillers in there. Hopefully they also realize this show does best in a 9pm slot and put it back where it belongs.

G

Graybrew1

I did not really care one way or the other about the lack of awesome special effects, that can't all be grand. But the ep itself was okay. I like Henry. He is probably my favorite core character. I did not like watching them take his woman from him like that. They only just met late last year right? So, wasn't that a little rushed for that? Will was fine. I did not get any knee slapping ha ha humor that you do a lot in this show in this ep. I am hopeful next week's will be better. I really do like this show.