Sanctuary episode #408 "Fugue" *Spoilers*

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Sanctuary "the musical" week. This may be the moment when the show officially jumps the shark. :P

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The preview made me puke. Soap-fi is one thing but turning sci-fi into a friggin' musical is where I draw the line.

Buh-bye Mortuary. This is where you died.

B

Backstep

The preview made me puke. Soap-fi is one thing but turning sci-fi into a friggin' musical is where I draw the line.

Buh-bye Mortuary. This is where you died.

Will the term remain "show tunes" in a musical episode, or "soap tunes" be more fitting :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually it wasn't too bad. The "musical" turned out to be a few scenes with singing that was plot explained as the only way to communicate with the abnormal inside of Abby. I wouldn't want every episode to work this way but as a one off it was watchable.

Bluce Ree

Why do show producers always find it necessary to "show off" their talents' other talents at some point in every show? I barely watch this show as it is. The sci-tunes direction of this episode turned me off. It was outright stupid and unnecessary and the "explanation" they offered for this gong-show of an episode that she can only understand at certain frequencies makes absolutely no sense even in the fiction world. It was a children's storybook explanation.

I'm done with anything on Syfylys. That network needs new management.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't mind if a show does the odd one off episode where they play with the format to scratch some itch the producer or cast has. My thing is just make sure it is only a one off - I would not want a whole show to be a musical (for example). Plus it is not like they don't indulge another itch every year - each season has had at least one episode where Kindler and Tapping have brought their Stargate roots to the forefront and made an episode which could be fairly easily mistaken for Stargate (SG type plot, feel, atmosphere, etc.).

The main thing I feel Santuary needs to stay away from is excessive shipping. Thankfully aside from one nauseating episode where shipping ruled the day they more or less have done so.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why do show producers always find it necessary to "show off" their talents' other talents at some point in every show? I barely watch this show as it is. The sci-tunes direction of this episode turned me off. It was outright stupid and unnecessary and the "explanation" they offered for this gong-show of an episode that she can only understand at certain frequencies makes absolutely no sense even in the fiction world. It was a children's storybook explanation.

I'm done with anything on Syfylys. That network needs new management.

I stayed away from this episode when I saw the preview for it. The "musical episode" is really tired and cliche' now. It was cute when Buffy did it back in the 90's but now that everyone and their uncle has done it, not so much.

Sanctuary
gets more juvenile and intellectually insulting with each episode it seems and SyFy in general is really sucking. I barely watch that channel now.

Your description of the episode makes me glad I skipped it. "Gong show" -- heh! Good one. ;)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
All I have to say is "meh". IMO the singing was just a holiday gimmick - inserted to hide the fact that they had a weak story this time out.

This doesn't mean that there aren't better stories on the way, we'll have to wait and see. ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
All I have to say is "meh". IMO the singing was just a holiday gimmick - inserted to hide the fact that they had a weak story this time out.

This doesn't mean that there aren't better stories on the way, we'll have to wait and see. ;)

pollyanna.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It wasnt horrible, but It wasnt all that either.

It wasn't horrible to me at all, but it wasn't all that great. I thought the musical elements were okay and not overdone (like with dance routines and such). It was underdone, if this was supposed to be a "musical" episode. I wasnt too keen on the rhyming teleconference with the other sanctuaries, and I am completely disappointed with the way they spliced Abby into the show. Unlike Kate who was brought in to the Sanctuary team, this Abby was not only brought into the Team but she has been attached to Will's part in a semi-permanent way. Even if they kill her off (wishful thinking), he would still have to have the gratuitous flashback scenes to Abby, or speak of her with sadness in the future. BRING KATE BACK! Abby is not working. She probably never will. I dont see how they can fix her like they fixed Kate. And what's with the FBI guy and that other dude (cant even remember where he came into the picture, but I recall something a few episodes back).

Sanctuary may indeed be following the exit signs out of the parking structure.They could save it by going back to basics.

This episode could have benefited from real singing talent! Abby (the actress who plays her) actually has some singing ability. So does Amanda Tapping...but Will :facepalm:

Bluce Ree

It wasn't horrible to me at all, but it wasn't all that great. I thought the musical elements were okay and not overdone (like with dance routines and such).

When one goes without food for a lengthy period and someone hands that person a moldy cracker, they will gobble it down, lick their fingers and call it a delicious feast.

It was underdone, if this was supposed to be a "musical" episode. I wasnt too keen on the rhyming teleconference with the other sanctuaries, and I am completely disappointed with the way they spliced Abby into the show. Unlike Kate who was brought in to the Sanctuary team, this Abby was not only brought into the Team but she has been attached to Will's part in a semi-permanent way. Even if they kill her off (wishful thinking), he would still have to have the gratuitous flashback scenes to Abby, or speak of her with sadness in the future. BRING KATE BACK! Abby is not working. She probably never will. I dont see how they can fix her like they fixed Kate. And what's with the FBI guy and that other dude (cant even remember where he came into the picture, but I recall something a few episodes back).

Sanctuary may indeed be following the exit signs out of the parking structure.They could save it by going back to basics.

This episode could have benefited from real singing talent! Abby (the actress who plays her) actually has some singing ability. So does Amanda Tapping...but Will :facepalm:

:icon_e_confused: :icon_eek: :icon_cry: :( :facepalm:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Like I said earlier I did not mind it. Really the show has had only one bad episode this season, mostly it has been pretty solid. I would like to see them get back to using Will's profiling and psychology skills though; they did in S1 and it worked well (especially in the episode "Folding Man").

JaffaKree!

GateFans Member
The one time there is actual use for Songify and no takers? At least that would have been funny.

G

Graybrew1

I don't care for the Abby character. I did not like this ep. It was predictable on top of everything else. My least favorite Sanctuary ep yet, I am hopeful they can shake it off and move forward.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought it could have been done better if they were going to do a musical episode. Other than that, the story of this episode was weak but not damaging IMO.

S

Stonelesscutter

I thought it could have been done better if they were going to do a musical episode. Other than that, the story of this episode was weak but not damaging IMO.

I thought it was one big yawn from start to finish. And then on top of that they were singing. Really the worst Sanctuary episode to date in my opinion. Even worse than the episode in India where Will had to dance to please Kali. And also worse than the one with the ridiculous "superhero" in the bugsuit.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I thought it was one big yawn from start to finish. And then on top of that they were singing. Really the worst Sanctuary episode to date in my opinion. Even worse than the episode in India where Will had to dance to please Kali. And also worse than the one with the ridiculous "superhero" in the bugsuit.

I skipped this episode as I knew it would be a turkey. I am beginning to agree with OMNI's assessment of this show. It seems to be getting far too cartoonish of late.

G

Graybrew1

I skipped this episode as I knew it would be a turkey. I am beginning to agree with OMNI's assessment of this show. It seems to be getting far too cartoonish of late.

I do believe the ep after this made up for most of the bad in this one. ;)