Samsung bashing iPhone again for Galaxy S4...but they can!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I admit it, I do cheer Android on when they prove over and over that iPhones are pathetically behind the times and providing a tragically limited experience for smartphone users. But trhe Galaxy S4 truly destroys iPhone on every level, and even the bragging rights of the Retina display have been snatched away. :icon_lol:

I have no problem with people owning iPhones, 5 or 4S or even 3. People with basic needs need a basic phone that is (almost) worry free and hard to mess up. Sorta like people who buy regular phones instead of smartphones. But to even remotely claim that the iPhone is "high tech" is ridiculous. It has been proven that tech-savvy people choose Android over iOS over 50%, and the other 50% is divided up between Apple, Blackberry and Windows. This is not to say one is better than the other, but the marketing of Apple iPhones misrepresent the product and try to give it a veneer of being geeky and cool. But it is actually basic and meh. :icon10:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
True. However Samsung needs to be a bit careful on the boasting because their skin (TouchWiz) makes Android lag and stutter like crazy. HTC recently radically trimmed Sense back to smooth Android out - TouchWiz needs to go down the same road.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
True. However Samsung needs to be a bit careful on the boasting because their skin (TouchWiz) makes Android lag and stutter like crazy. HTC recently radically trimmed Sense back to smooth Android out - TouchWiz needs to go down the same road.

I agree, but since going with Samsung (starting with the original Epic 4G with keyboard), I dumped TouchWiz within minutes of powering up the phone for GoLauncher EX. I have that on my phone right now. I dont even know how to use TouchWiz.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
TouchWiz sucks but the latest version running on the s4 has been leaned out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
TouchWiz sucks but the latest version running on the s4 has been leaned out.

I was between the HTC One and the SGS4, and although I love the build quality of the HTC, the Samsung has it beat in specs. My contract is up in November.

B

Backstep

I'm thinking of getting the s4 to get rid of the i5 i have now. I found this to charge and access music for the phone to the car.

MDI Adapter Cable - mini-USB, for vehicles equipped with the factory or accessory MDI box.

d000051446a.jpg

Bluce Ree

I was between the HTC One and the SGS4, and although I love the build quality of the HTC, the Samsung has it beat in specs. My contract is up in November.

I'm still undecided. I really like the HTC One.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm still undecided. I really like the HTC One.

It is built even tighter than the iPhone, and has an all aluminum case. Two people here at work have them. Truly impressive quality. But the screen is smaller, the process is less powerful and the HTC cannot be opened to insert an SD card which is a dealbreaker for me. :)

Bluce Ree

It is built even tighter than the iPhone, and has an all aluminum case. Two people here at work have them. Truly impressive quality. But the screen is smaller, the process is less powerful and the HTC cannot be opened to insert an SD card which is a dealbreaker for me. :)

True on the SD card. However, the octocore processor isn't a true full-time octocore. As I understood it, the S4 has two sets of quad-cores that operate at different frequencies and swaps between the two sets depending on the performance needed at that moment. They're not all used at the same time.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
True on the SD card. However, the octocore processor isn't a true full-time octocore. As I understood it, the S4 has two sets of quad-cores that operate at different frequencies and swaps between the two sets depending on the performance needed at that moment. They're not all used at the same time.

TBH, I am far less sold on the cores in a smartphone as I am on screen size, clarity of the display and battery life. As it is, most desktops in use today are only dual core machines. :) Why should I care if my smartphone has "only" 4 cores instead of 8? :anim_59:. Its the bragging rights, I guess. The silly iPhone 5 is still not even a quad core. But that Galaxy S4 is just....damn. I gotta have it. :) I love my SII, and also love the SIII and the Note II.
--- merged: May 23, 2013 at 7:11 PM ---
I'm thinking of getting the s4 to get rid of the i5 i have now. I found this to charge and access music for the phone to the car.

MDI Adapter Cable - mini-USB, for vehicles equipped with the factory or accessory MDI box.

View attachment 28250

That little jazzy adapter is a very very hot seller right now. Many iPhone users decided to stick with their iPhone 4 and they have invested money in all the cool iPhone accessories like speaker pods, stereos, and like for your car. :)

Bluce Ree

TBH, I am far less sold on the cores in a smartphone as I am on screen size, clarity of the display and battery life. As it is, most desktops in use today are only dual core machines. :) Why should I care if my smartphone has "only" 4 cores instead of 8? :anim_59:. Its the bragging rights, I guess. The silly iPhone 5 is still not even a quad core. But that Galaxy S4 is just....damn. I gotta have it. :) I love my SII, and also love the SIII and the Note II.

I'm with you. I just wish they'd spend an extra 50 cents on the damned shell and make it metal instead of that cheap shit plastic.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm with you. I just wish they'd spend an extra 50 cents on the damned shell and make it metal instead of that cheap shit plastic.

I have all my phones in hard/gel hybrid cases by Ballistic so the case does not really matter to me much anymore. :) Funny, I would go in the store and see the beautiful phones, and not think of the fact that I would 100% be positive encasing it in a Ballistic case. My current one is exactly like this picture (Galaxy S II)

blcsa0735m005.jpg

I have demonstrated its effectiveness by throwing it (literally) against a brick wall. The bumpers and most of the exposed surface is gel, and the hard shell covers the gel cover. The one made for your Galaxy SIII looks like this:

P14349517.jpg

B

Backstep

That little jazzy adapter is a very very hot seller right now. Many iPhone users decided to stick with their iPhone 4 and they have invested money in all the cool iPhone accessories like speaker pods, stereos, and like for your car. :)

That adapter is for a mini usb port. The adapter that came with my VW is for iphone/pad.

This is the first Apple i ever owned, I tried it and I don't like it. The lack of the phone to view flash on websites is annoying to say the least, to be nice, the battery life SUCKS.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Basically the iPhone is the "fisher price" smartphone. It lacks a lot of more advanced functionality. On the other hand, however, it is pretty easy to use for what it does and doesn't have chop and stutter and lag.

Android on the other hand does a lot more but (until Jelly Bean) had major lag and stutter issues even in its unskinned versions. Project Butter on Jelly Bean helped the problem some on straight Android although it isn't gone. As to the skins, the new HTC Sense has actually made the OS smoother than even vanilla Android while the other majoe skin (TouchWiz) still causes a lot of chop. Samsung had to patch the S4 almost immediately after launch to at least partly address it, but the real culprit is TouchWiz has too much stuff running in the background and eats up too much system resources.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Basically the iPhone is the "fisher price" smartphone. It lacks a lot of more advanced functionality. On the other hand, however, it is pretty easy to use for what it does and doesn't have chop and stutter and lag.

Android on the other hand does a lot more but (until Jelly Bean) had major lag and stutter issues even in its unskinned versions. Project Butter on Jelly Bean helped the problem some on straight Android although it isn't gone. As to the skins, the new HTC Sense has actually made the OS smoother than even vanilla Android while the other majoe skin (TouchWiz) still causes a lot of chop. Samsung had to patch the S4 almost immediately after launch to at least partly address it, but the real culprit is TouchWiz has too much stuff running in the background and eats up too much system resources.

I removed TouchWiz less than 15 minutes after powering up my phone for the first time. I love GolauncherEX and have had it on both my Samsungs. The next one will also have it when I get the phone. I dont like the default skins any of these manufacturers create, because the icons are too far apart, the colors and layout is clunky, and the bottom row does not scroll like in GoLauncherEX. It seems like these ohine makers have used the iPhone UI as the bar to reach, and try to emulate it. GolauncherEX beats them all and runs smooth as silk on Jelly Bean and ICS.

For me, it makes no sense to go with anything less than the premium Android phones because of the performance and smoothness. When you have to use your phone for IT business, it makes no sense to have an iPhone which is why it is very rare to see an IT professional carrying one (unless it is a secondary phone).

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan