Ron Moore's BSG "Bible"

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That is an interesting document but it is not a show "bible" per se.

A show bible is where the creators have the whole course of the primary storylines planned in advance. Babylon 5 did this and it showed in the quality. Where Moore upset a lot of people was claiming he had such a plan when it turned out he did not. which resulted in the massive disconnects in the stories as the show went on and the necessity for retconning in later episodes.

Remember I did like NuBSG, or at least the first couple of seasons. I do think the quality tailed off badly in the last two seasons and that the finale was a pile of illogical crud. But overall there has been a lot worse.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

A show bible is where the creators have the whole course of the primary storylines planned in advance. Babylon 5 did this and it showed in the quality. Where Moore upset a lot of people was claiming he had such a plan when it turned out he did not. which resulted in the massive disconnects in the stories as the show went on and the necessity for retconning in later episodes.

Remember I did like NuBSG, or at least the first couple of seasons. I do think the quality tailed off badly in the last two seasons and that the finale was a pile of illogical crud. But overall there has been a lot worse.

I agree completely. The fact that Moore outright lied to fans by claiming he had a plan (so did the Cylons supposedly :rolleyes:) really turned me off. I can handle mistakes in writing if they're honestly admitted to, but don't piss on my face and tell me it's raining, which is what Moore did. :sour:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
RDM did have a plan, it was to make up that he had a plan in order to keep you glued to the TV.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Indeed. The fact that there was no plan became glaringly evident in S3 when they brought forward the whole Final Five nonsense. And when they identified four of them it entered the world of the absurd, and required some pretty goofy writing to try to shoehorn them into the story.

B

Backstep

RDM did have a plan, it was to make up that he had a plan in order to keep you glued to the TV.

His plan sucked to say the least, live numbers only totaling below to 1 million each week for the last 2.5 seasons :cylon-pancarte04::laughing:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
It's a "bible" if the writer wants to call it one. he could have called anything and some would still disagree.

Was there a plan for all the seasons of sg1, sga written in advance? How about farscape or ST:TNG?

Look it has been suggested all so coyly, that things i have said about the show i fabricated, and when i referenced that he had a "bible" it was then said that "we dont care, etc, etc, blah blah blah"

so i place a link to show it exists and what to i get, more grief
:crying-028:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It's a "bible" if the writer wants to call it one. he could have called anything and some would still disagree.

Was there a plan for all the seasons of sg1, sga written in advance? How about farscape or ST:TNG?

Look it has been suggested all so coyly, that things i have said about the show i fabricated, and when i referenced that he had a "bible" it was then said that "we dont care, etc, etc, blah blah blah"

so i place a link to show it exists and what to i get, more grief
:crying-028:

I don't have a problem with your use of the term "bible" but I think what people were doing was pointing out that what you described wasn't an official show bible. As it is an official bible doesn't contain all the show plots from beginning to end, it just contains the key elements for that particular fictional premise.

As for Moore, Eick, whoever, it's a fact that those guys claimed to have the BSG story completely mapped out from beginning to end. Who does that? Seriously, it's just a dumb claim to make if it isn't true. The Babylon 5 folks could make this claim because they had the story mapped out from start to finish. But the BSG folks clearly did not have the story mapped out from start to finish and their claims that they did is insulting to our respective intelligence. They suck for that. :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I don't have a problem with your use of the term "bible" but I think what people were doing was pointing out that what you described wasn't an official show bible. As it is an official bible doesn't contain all the show plots from beginning to end, it just contains the key elements for that particular fictional premise.

As for Moore, Eick, whoever, it's a fact that those guys claimed to have the BSG story completely mapped out from beginning to end. Who does that? Seriously, it's just a dumb claim to make if it isn't true. The Babylon 5 folks could make this claim because they had the story mapped out from start to finish. But the BSG folks clearly did not have the story mapped out from start to finish and their claims that they did is insulting to our respective intelligence. They suck for that. :P

I get that, but it is not I calling it a "bible" it is RDM, the header on the first page:

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Series Bible
By
Ronald D. Moore

I am not one who said that they ever had everything mapped out-I know many have-but count me out on that point--I just enjoyed the way it did pan out, save for a few things.

I am thinking that most show runners have, at the least an outline of sorts. or should

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I get that, but it is not I calling to a "bible" it is RDM, the header on the first page:

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Series Bible
By
Ronald D. Moore

I am not one who said that they ever had everything mapped out-I know many have-but count me out on that point. I am thinking that most show runners have at the least an outline of sorts. or should

Got ya. ;)

We seem to be on the same page about the bible then.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

Thats one interpretation of a bible, and it's not right. A shows bible is where they note down specific charater names, personalites, events and such in order to preserve continuity. What you are describing is storylines and arcs, basicly, the plot.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That show 'bible' looks very familiar to what I downloaded several years back. I think it mentions that Moore, or the writer wanted Adama to join up and fight the Cylons when he was 16 or whereabouts.:dog:

yes it is from 2003 i believe

the join at 16 thing brings up the old syfy forum discussion (remember Wayne Hurlburt? maybe I should invite him:smiley-laughing021:) on his age and service record, breaks in service, etc

in b&C did Adama ever say how old he was anyhow? he certaintly acted like a teenager
--- merged: Dec 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM ---
"I know WayneHurlburt and I am not afraid to use him"

:joy:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
yes it is from 2003 i believe

the join at 16 thing brings up the old syfy forum discussion (remember Wayne Hurlburt? maybe I should invite him:smiley-laughing021:) on his age and service record, breaks in service, etc

in b&C did Adama ever say how old he was anyhow? he certaintly acted like a teenager

Before I go....

The good old days with Wayne. According to my discussions over at Sfffffy, Adama is certainly about 20( my math at least) during the 10th year of war. Good old Commander Nash mentioned Special Ops so Adama had to have been with those guys until the end when he officially joined the Galactica.

Anyways enjoy your X-mas, Yongjin2.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Before I go....

The good old days with Wayne. According to my discussions over at Sfffffy, Adama is certainly about 20( my math at least) during the 10th year of war. Good old Commander Nash mentioned Special Ops so Adama had to have been with those guys until the end when he officially joined the Galactica.

Anyways enjoy your X-mas, Yongjin2.

thx Merry Christmas to you as well.....(and in my private world-i still think nash is agent durham--surely they have plastic surgery on caprica :rolleye0014:)

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I sort of miss the old BSG threads at SyFy when that show was still on the air. Even though most of my posts got lost in the shuffle it was a still good time. There was lots of filling in the blanks speculation and some hilarious commentary by certain members. I think that was when the SyFy forum really peaked.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Strictly my opinion:

Maaan I hated this show and Lost. Quality dropped off rapidly after initial world building stage and the newness wore off. Then a lot of shows attempt to imitate the style of those shows, not the good seasons/portions (if any) but the bad seasons/portions. They attempt to hint toward a broad plot that comes together at the end, but it really doesn't. I can only think of a few that I've watched that have done this successfully, a broad overreaching plot: Babylon 5 and.....Babylon 5. I got nothing. lol

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Strictly my opinion:

Maaan I hated this show and Lost. Quality dropped off rapidly after initial world building stage and the newness wore off. Then a lot of shows attempt to imitate the style of those shows, not the good seasons/portions (if any) but the bad seasons/portions. They attempt to hint toward a broad plot that comes together at the end, but it really doesn't. I can only think of a few that I've watched that have done this successfully, a broad overreaching plot: Babylon 5 and.....Babylon 5. I got nothing. lol

I agree-B5 was an excellent show. I like it more then BSG. It is a real b1tch trying to find it to watch it too.

used to be on netflix-luckily i got to re watch it all before it was gone

i know the main reason is studio rights, etc but i also read the Stracyzinski wanted it down because he felt that it being so readily available "cheapened it", another reason why it is not re-aired on tv. I am guessing he just wants more cash though